The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-19-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Congratulations, Anthony...fatherhood "IS" life-changing, and so very much worth the change. Enjoy every sleep-deprived moment with Felix...because in the blink of an eye, he will be eleven years old and about to start 6th grade. ❤️❤️❤️

Joel

Thanks, Joel. So far so good! I told him he has a week to start a business, though.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:51 PM

I finished up #001 this week!

I took it up to woodstock last weekend to show it to some other luthiers in the after hours and got some great feedback. Lots of it positive. I must say, it came out better than I anticipated. We've been playing it in the shop as well and we all agree, it sounds great. I'll have it and #002 at the Philly show this month if anyone is going and would like to see it.

IMG_7077.jpg
IMG_7076.jpg
IMG_7075.jpg
IMG_7074.jpg
IMG_7072.jpgIMG_7003.jpgIMG_7031.jpgIMG_7030.jpg
IMG_6988.jpg
IMG_6986.jpg
Old 11-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Anthony...
Old 11-01-2017, 07:00 PM

Awesome headstock, back and the inlays around the soundhole. Very creative in an artistic expression of yourself, like your little boy. Congrats on such a fine build. Both of the creations.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Old 11-03-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Awesome headstock, back and the inlays around the soundhole. Very creative in an artistic expression of yourself, like your little boy. Congrats on such a fine build. Both of the creations.

Thank you!
Old 11-03-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Congrats Anthony...

Thank you!
Old 11-03-2017, 02:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Nice guit-fiddle you made there, Anthony. The person in the picture appears to be ogling your creation too 😉

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 11-04-2017, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar Anthony!
I am dying to know...how you think the middle piece on the back has influenced the sound of the guitar? somehow I did not see listed the center piece wood...Looks like a mahogany of sorts? This is the big question I have always longed to know. What happens when you combine Rosewood with a mahogany or maple. Does it give the rosewood sound a little bit of attack time on the strings? I love Walnut, Rosewood, maple....but often feel like each is still lacking in some areas. The idea of combining something like Rosewood for those sweet sustaining notes with a wood that has a sharper attack time and more fundamentals is appealing.
I am a huge believer...that everything effects the sound. I would love to see experimentation with back as one wood and sides as of another type...to combine sounds. I have seen this on rare occasions...but not heard the report of how tonal structure changed in those type guitars Of course there are downsides to this type of experimentation. Makes a guitar less desirable visually for some. Anyway....excited to hear your thoughts on the difference the center piece made on the back.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Love the balance of your headstock logo. Can't imagine what #50 will look like!....Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 11-04-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I am dying to know...how you think the middle piece on the back has influenced the sound of the guitar? somehow I did not see listed the center piece wood...Looks like a mahogany of sorts? This is the big question I have always longed to know. What happens when you combine Rosewood with a mahogany or maple. Does it give the rosewood sound a little bit of attack time on the strings? I love Walnut, Rosewood, maple....but often feel like each is still lacking in some areas. The idea of combining something like Rosewood for those sweet sustaining notes with a wood that has a sharper attack time and more fundamentals is appealing.
I am a huge believer...that everything effects the sound. I would love to see experimentation with back as one wood and sides as of another type...to combine sounds. I have seen this on rare occasions...but not heard the report of how tonal structure changed in those type guitars Of course there are downsides to this type of experimentation. Makes a guitar less desirable visually for some. Anyway....excited to hear your thoughts on the difference the center piece made on the back.
Not to hijack here, and I understand what your thoughts are on this subject...I can tell you that the sides contribute nothing at all to the sound so trying to accomplish your answers by different sides and backs will not get you anything. The sides transmit nothing and contribute nothing to the sound according to every luthier I have ever met. All the sides do is provide the stiffness needed to support the top and back...a lot of builders are laminating the sides to keep the guitar light and yet still provide the stiffness desired.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-04-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Not to hijack here, and I understand what your thoughts are on this subject...I can tell you that the sides contribute nothing at all to the sound so trying to accomplish your answers by different sides and backs will not get you anything. The sides transmit nothing and contribute nothing to the sound according to every luthier I have ever met. All the sides do is provide the stiffness needed to support the top and back...a lot of builders are laminating the sides to keep the guitar light and yet still provide the stiffness desired.
Very interesting. Can you tell me the luthiers that are laminating the back and sides to keep the guitar light. I would like to audition some of those guitars. A interesting concept.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Still interested on the the three piece back effected the sound

I wanted to say...that I am still interested on how you think the two different woods in the three piece back has effected the sound. Do you think it puts an edge-attack time... on the rosewood sound?
Old 11-04-2017, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Firs,t welcome Anthony.
Second, and more importantly...CONGRATULATIONS on that life changing little nugett! Children are the most amazing creation ever.
Third, Your guitar looks amazing. The detail and looks of the build quality are superb. If it sounds as good as it looks, you have a great future as a luthier.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 11-04-2017, 08:03 PM

Default "Allow myself to introduce...myself" My first post and build.

Quote:

Very good question. It's one that I've asked myself throughout. I'm not sure I'm able to answer it confidently. I'm sure there are some people out there that have more experience with Martin 35 style guitars that can weigh in. I believe also that everything effects sound and I'm sure having the mahogany in the center has an effect. To what extent is the question and to that I'm not sure.

Last edited by AnthonyLattanze; 11-04-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:09 PM

Default "Allow myself to introduce...myself" My first post and build.

Quote:
I wanted to say...that I am still interested on how you think the two different woods in the three piece back has effected the sound. Do you think it puts an edge-attack time... on the rosewood sound?

If I had to make a claim, I would suggest that the guitar has some punch to its attack time that may or not be influenced by the mahogany strip. It is right under the sound hole and bridge so I’m open to he idea. But someone with 35 style guitars with 3 piece backs might have more of an expertise. I merely built a three piece back because the board I built it from wasn't wide enough for a two piece. The length was small too, hence the larger end graft where the sides didn't meet.

Last edited by AnthonyLattanze; 11-04-2017 at 09:34 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop