The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-07-2017, 12:26 AM

Don't Rainsong's unidirectional tops look sort of like wood grain in black?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-07-2017, 02:14 AM

In fact I've just watched a live Emerald video on facebook with their new stock of veneers - you should check it out!
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-07-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
As a lover of both wood and cf, I really like the new Emerald woodies. Not only is the wood not fake, it is not a type of wood that would never be seen in a traditional wood guitar. The veneers on the new Emeralds would not have the grain and strength to survive as face woods; but they sure are stunning when paired with cf.
Well I thought my 1984 Grand Parisienne Safari wagon with faux wood door panel was a beauty!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 04-07-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
A while back I spent an evening or two flirting with the idea of owning a carbon fiber guitar down the road. I still think it would be fun.

What I'd love to see is a really traditional-looking carbon fiber guitar. And I guess by traditional, I mean "golden era" Martin type of aesthetics. Simple square headstock. Basic square or belly bridge. Traditional dreadnought or OM shape. Simple inlays and appointments. Open gear tuners. Et cetera.

Basically I'm imagining something like a Collings D1 or OM but in carbon fiber stealth mode with black carbon fiber and black open gear tuners. In terms of a company offering a more traditional aesthetic and sound, it wouldn't be unlike the "revival" series that Breedlove did a while back -- I'd love to see a carbon fiber brand give that a go. I'd also be curious to see how close they could get the sound.

That or I'd love to see one of the big boys give carbon fiber a try. Taylor CF-10 anyone? Martin D-CF? Gibson J-CF? I feel like it will happen sooner or later.
ataylor, I see where you're coming from, so here is my take. I currently have a dozen Carbon Fiber guitars in my personal stable, and as with all my other guitars, I tend to judge them on their own merit, but if I were looking for the attributes that a carbon fiber guitar offers, like say being fine with living in the back of my SUV, but were also looking to come as close to the esthetics of my Martins, SCGC, or Collings, than I would look no further than the Blackbird El Capitan. The Ekoa material looks sort of like wood without being fake, and the herringbone rosette definitely adds a bit of vintage vibe. But in addition to the esthetics, Joe's Ekoa guitars sound like wood. In fact, when I was asked to describe the tone of the El Capitan to a potential customer, I sat down and played it alongside a bunch of guitars in the store, CF and wood, and I found that the tone was closest to a Collings Small Jumbo we had in stock at the time.

If the boys in Frisco could add some herringbone trim around the body, it would look even more traditional. Now Joe just needs to add a Dreadnought, and an OM to Parlor and Small Jumbo, and the Ekoa line will be complete.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:55 AM

Perhaps a Leviora??

http://leviora-guitars.de/en/guitars/steelstring/
Old 04-07-2017, 10:59 AM

I agree with Ted that Blackbird are the closest to what you want.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-07-2017, 11:35 AM

To be clear, I didn't mean that I'd like to see a traditional-looking carbon fiber guitar that looks like it's made of wood. I find there's something rather attractive in the black carbon fiber look, whether just jet black or with some of the typical carbon fiber texture.

I'm just thinking more in terms of traditional shapes rather than colors or textures. Simple, square headstocks, traditional bridge design, simple inlay and trim, open gear tuners, et cetera. The closest thing I've seen to what I'm talking about is the Rainsong hybrid series -- now imagine that sort of construction with the simple shapes and looks of something like a Collings D1 or OM.

I know a lot of folks who buy carbon fiber guitars are more interested in and familiar with more "modern" shapes and features and tones, but I wonder if there's some success to be had in a more "vintage" looking carbon fiber series that stops short of trying to simulate wood grain and color.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:38 AM

Also to be clear, I need a Martin or two (or small-shop equivalent) before I'd seriously consider a carbon fiber guitar, so there's yet time for someone to make this "traditional" line I'm getting at
Old 04-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I don't have a CF guitar, and can;'t imagine ever having one. My tastes are very tradtional (early 20th C designs) ..... but .. this thread prompted me to look at the Emerald website.

Whilst the designs are not for me ....I have to say that I respect the innovations made to acoustic designs.

Well done Emerald, and all who sail in them ..... they do float don't they?
Old 04-07-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
To be clear, I didn't mean that I'd like to see a traditional-looking carbon fiber guitar that looks like it's made of wood. I find there's something rather attractive in the black carbon fiber look, whether just jet black or with some of the typical carbon fiber texture.

I'm just thinking more in terms of traditional shapes rather than colors or textures. Simple, square headstocks, traditional bridge design, simple inlay and trim, open gear tuners, et cetera. The closest thing I've seen to what I'm talking about is the Rainsong hybrid series -- now imagine that sort of construction with the simple shapes and looks of something like a Collings D1 or OM.

I know a lot of folks who buy carbon fiber guitars are more interested in and familiar with more "modern" shapes and features and tones, but I wonder if there's some success to be had in a more "vintage" looking carbon fiber series that stops short of trying to simulate wood grain and color.

I have a Rainsong hybrid and I picked it just because it looks the most like a regular wood guitar. I'm traditional when it comes to my guitars. I like a little bling but nothing crazy and I like matched tops, backs, etc. on my wood guitars. So, yeah, the Rainsong hybrid did it for me.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Rainsongs do in fact have very traditional shapes. Their dreadnoughts and Jumbos are very similar to Gibsons design, the Parlor is based on the Martin 0, and the OM, and WS are similar to the Taylor GC and GA.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Rainsongs do in fact have very traditional shapes. Their dreadnoughts and Jumbos are very similar to Gibsons design, the Parlor is based on the Martin 0, and the OM, and WS are similar to the Taylor GC and GA.
I think that's probably why I gravitated towards their guitars when I was curious a while back. I think their simpler models come closest to the overall aesthetic I like in a guitar.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Guest 928

And I can tell you from experience, the Parlor is magnificent!
Old 04-07-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I think that's probably why I gravitated towards their guitars when I was curious a while back. I think their simpler models come closest to the overall aesthetic I like in a guitar.
I always felt that the traditional shape and feel helped keep Rainsong in the top spot over the last few decades. Course the superb fit and finish, and great tone might have helped as well.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:06 AM

I suppose Emerald's guitars have a bit modern esthetics. Leviora's design (mentioned earlier in this thread) is traditional enough for me, and you have some ergonomic and esthetic options if you feel like paying for the extras.
and a guitar-shaped-object

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber