The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 PM

Default Which strings for a CA Legacy?

I have an early Legacy and would love to get some insight on finding the right strings. I've tried both flavors of Elixirs - ok, but really squeaky and will "distort" with a little age and heavy strumming. Most recently the D'Addario Silk & Steels. They are great for finger style but terrible for hard strumming. However, the bright silver strings look fantastic on the black Carbon Burst.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:13 PM

Got a free sample of Martin Lifespans from my local dealer, love em on my GX, give em a try.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:39 AM

I have a GX, not a legacy, but: I tried a bunch of different strings and finally settled on John Pearse 80/20s.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:47 AM

There's nothing special about a Legacy that would lend it to one kind of string or another. I would say that strings that sound good on martin dreadnoughts should sound good on a Legacy.

I like to use John Pearse phosphor bronze on my guitars (which include a CA Vintage Performer, which is the same as a Legacy). I used to use light gauge, but have started using their New Mediums (the two unwound strings and the low E are slightly heavier than regular lights). They don't feel significantly heavier than lights, but do have a fuller sound.

By the way, Shoreline Music is a good place to purchase JPs. Their prices are good and they have free shipping.

Last edited by mchalebk; 01-23-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM

I disagree. Been all over the map with strings and I always come back to Elixirs 80/20 nanos. CA's tend to be dark and that is the brightest string to go with that guitar. Works well.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-23-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I disagree. Been all over the map with strings and I always come back to Elixirs 80/20 nanos. CA's tend to be dark and that is the brightest string to go with that guitar. Works well.
Steve
I would disagree that CAs sound "dark" in comparison to the average wood guitar. They definitely do not have the ringing treble tones that so many CF guitars are known for, no doubt. In my opinion, though, they are not any darker than comparable wood guitars.

I don't think my Vintage Performer is dark at all. It does have a very good bass response, but that's what dreadnoughts are known for. I tried D'Addario PBs on it and it was annoyingly bright. With John Pearse PBs, it sounds great.

So much of this is subjective and everyone's taste and expectations are going to be different. But I will stand by my comment that any strings that sound good on a Martin dread are likely to sound good on a CA Legacy.

In reality, the best advice is probably to try strings you already like and see how they sound. If the result is not what you're looking for, then let us know what's lacking and we'll see if we can offer some better choices. Generally speaking, strings are very affordable. Try some out and see how they sound and play. No one on the internet is going to be able to tell you what strings you will like on your guitar. We can only tell you what works for us.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 PM

My one of two CA Legacy's also sounds good with Elixer 80/20 Nano's....
I have some generic 80/20's on my other one and they don't sound as good.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:14 PM

Default D'Addario really CARES - to help me find out

So... in response to this post I got a PM from a company guy who asked if I had tried any other D'Addario strings. He offered to send me something to try out. Instead, he sent me 3 SETS - EFT16, EJ21, and EXP 16's. What an incredible gesture. Looks like I'm now a D'A man for life.

"No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted." AESOP (600's BC)
Old 03-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

I have tried numerous strings on my Legacy and DR Dragonskins (11 gauge on the E) sound and play by far the best. Easy to play, rich, clear tone, plenty of bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber