The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2019, 08:22 AM

I discovered some of my favourite players by stalking the various bars (on several occasions had a drink on the go in more than one!) We found a young guy called Jonny Hiland who blew us away, and a band called the Jamie Hartford band at a bar called Wolfy’s (with Ray Flacke on rhythm..) Enjoy..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 07-27-2019, 08:23 AM

Check out Artisan Guitars at the Factory in Franklin! Enjoyed it far more than both Gruhns and Carter’s.
Scott
Old 07-27-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Hey guys - the Blue bird was suggested a couple of times - I looked online and it said there wasn’t a cover charge but there were $10 drink minimums, which is fine. Perhaps a silly question - they don’t mind kids attending do they? My 11 year old son, who is responsible for getting me in the hobby, will be with us
Martin Backpacker
Old 07-29-2019, 06:08 AM

Besides the places in the Gulch (which tend to have cover charges at night), check out the various places on Broadway in the afternoon for acoustic acts - these are typically players who play in full bands at night. Note that at most of these places the performers are paid by tips only, be generous!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-29-2019, 06:29 AM

I’m writing this from a downtown Nashville hotel.

This is the first time in years I’ve ventured downtown and if not for a company trip, I wouldn’t be here now.

It’s a shame they’ve stuck a bro-country bar on every corner with competing band playing Chattahoochie and Sweet Home Alabama so loud you can’t tell which is which. It’s a zoo.

Avoid downtown unless the spectacle is inviting. The Gulch and 5 Points have good entertainment and are much less pop country.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-29-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
Since I favor bluegrass over pop country, my happy place in my old home town is The Station Inn, in the urban housing redevelopment the call "The Gulch." Allison Krauss' Union Station band was like the house band here for years. Tim O'Brien plays there regularly when he's in town. I haven't been ther in three years now, but it seemed like the most unchanged place in Nashville.
Great suggestion...but be prepared to see players that will make you wonder why you even bother trying to play guitars.....t'The Station Inn" is where the session guys and the top acts in country get together to jam....

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 07-29-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post

This is the first time in years I’ve ventured downtown and if not for a company trip, I wouldn’t be here now.

It’s a shame they’ve stuck a bro-country bar on every corner with competing band playing Chattahoochie and Sweet Home Alabama so loud you can’t tell which is which. It’s a zoo.

Avoid downtown unless the spectacle is inviting. The Gulch and 5 Points have good entertainment and are much less pop country.
Amen!! Downtown has been ruined in the name of progress! Last Saturday was the first time I've been in the downtown area in about a year and I couldn't believe my eyes! We didn't hit Broadway and have no intentions to in the future. The last time we were downtown we took the kids to the Schemerhorn to see a symphony and it was neat, but I won't take them on the strip. I had the chance to play at Rippy's and Tootsie's a few years back and while it was a lot of fun, I'm no longer into the packed "chaos" of Tourist Town, USA!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 07-29-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:

I certainly disagree with this--at least in part. Now the description of Broadway and downtown is in part accurate, but you can pick and choose among the clubs and--often loud and mediocre--bands; but you will also find some very fine young singers and players. As for pop infecting country, well pop has been a part of country for forever: though for some I suppose Dolly singing pop was as traumatic as Dylan using electric guitars. I'm a country player and singer and play stuff from Haggard through Cindy Lauper. Good music is good music--everything else is, as Vince Gill says, just zip a dee doo da. It's all crazy and crowded, but can also be fun--and the afternoon acoustic stuff can be really, really good. Just be prepared. And if it's not for you, that's fine, it's not for you. What I certainly agree with is that you can, and should, find great music all over Nashville. The Gulch is a great spot, and if it is at all possible you might try and book an evening at the Bluebird Cafe.

I also wish enthusiastically to second Hairpuller's recommendation of Artisan in Franklin for a visit. Certainly my favorite--by a mile--guitar store in or near Nashville.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:53 AM

I can't say much for the music scene but I was there a couple of months ago and drove down Broadway and all I could think of is how fast I could get out of there. Traffic is horrible! It has turned into nothing but a tourist trap with heavily commercialized bars. Obnoxious girls in those open buses blasting horrible music screaming and yelling at everybody they pass. Parking is outrageous. It has lost its culture and what made it Nashville.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 07-29-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
I can't say much for the music scene but I was there a couple of months ago and drove down Broadway and all I could think of is how fast I could get out of there. Traffic is horrible! It has turned into nothing but a tourist trap with heavily commercialized bars. Obnoxious girls in those open buses blasting horrible music screaming and yelling at everybody they pass. Parking is outrageous. It has lost its culture and what made it Nashville.
If you’ve only been there once or twice on vacation, you won’t know what “locals” like us are really talking about. Downtown Nashville used to be a place I went pretty often and really enjoyed. I know everything has to change, but they’re taking Nashville in the wrong direction from what it was. 100 people a day is how many people are moving to Metropolitan Davidson County and they’re throwing up buildings anywhere and everywhere they can to try to make housing and places for businesses and the Nashville we knew and loved is paying for it. They’re trying to modernize downtown and change it to be more attractive to people who aren’t necessarily into country music. Yeah, it’s gonna be neat and fun to tourists, but I want no part of it anymore. There’s too many awesome things to see around and outside of Nashville for me. I’d recommend one evening of bar-hopping and then rent a car and hit all the stuff outside of downtown.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Goodallboy, you are couple hundred miles east of Nashville like me. You know what you are talking about. I was trying to be nice but you summed it up well. Besides what I witnessed downtown, I have had many people with similar opinions. But I didn't want to post those opinions since I was relying on other people's accounts of Nashville and not my own experiences. I can only elaborate on what I saw and what I remember it being 20 or more years ago when I used to go there often.

I have coworkers that I deal with daily in downtown Nashville. So many people have to drive nearly an hour to work because real estate has gotten so expensive there. It ain't what it used to be but you can't stop growth. I don't know if I would call it progress.

But I am really only knocking the Broadway touristy area. Nashville is still a great city. I would give anything to have to selection of guitar stores they have there.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Old 07-29-2019, 12:05 PM

Still...if you've never been there before, a couple of hours downtown won't kill ya. It can be entertaining and you'll catch some good players.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
If you’ve only been there once or twice on vacation, you won’t know what “locals” like us are really talking about. Downtown Nashville used to be a place I went pretty often and really enjoyed. I know everything has to change, but they’re taking Nashville in the wrong direction from what it was. 100 people a day is how many people are moving to Metropolitan Davidson County and they’re throwing up buildings anywhere and everywhere they can to try to make housing and places for businesses and the Nashville we knew and loved is paying for it. They’re trying to modernize downtown and change it to be more attractive to people who aren’t necessarily into country music. Yeah, it’s gonna be neat and fun to tourists, but I want no part of it anymore. There’s too many awesome things to see around and outside of Nashville for me. I’d recommend one evening of bar-hopping and then rent a car and hit all the stuff outside of downtown.
Trust me I know. I spent some time there in June helping set up an office that we were moving to across I40 on West End. I hear it from the locals there all the time. I used to go there a lot years ago to visit a buddy that worked for the Titans Radio Network and remember what it used to be like.

Here is an interesting article about Nashville compared to my hometown of Knoxville. It is very accurate!

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/enter...le/3615439002/
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Old 07-29-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
Still...if you've never been there before, a couple of hours downtown won't kill ya. It can be entertaining and you'll catch some good players.
I would agree with this. I have never been to Vegas and I have heard a lot of people hate it but I gotta see it for myself someday.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Old 07-29-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Trust me I know. I spent some time there in June helping set up an office that we were moving to across I40 on West End. I hear it from the locals there all the time. I used to go there a lot years ago to visit a buddy that worked for the Titans Radio Network and remember what it used to be like.

Here is an interesting article about Nashville compared to my hometown of Knoxville. It is very accurate!

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/enter...le/3615439002/
I know without a doubt its true. I like downtown Chattanooga WAY better than Nashville! One of my friends who's worked in the music industry in Nashville for many years just sold his house and moved to Chattanooga due to the high cost of living and overcrowded situation there. I remember not too many years ago, you could stay at the Renaissance Hotel for less than $200 a night on a WEEKEND and be within walking distance of everything. That isn't going to happen anymore. Folks, we're not trying to bash Nashville and talk you out of a trip there. We're just reminiscing about the good old days of Nashville!! Here are some great ideas to try out if you go there.

https://www.fontanel.com/
https://thehermitage.com/
https://granvilletn.com/24-quick-inf...-general-store
http://downtownfranklintn.com/
https://www.jackdaniels.com/en-us/visit-distillery

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion