The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-20-2018, 10:05 PM

Default Pricing for Emerald guitars?

Hi all,

I’ve recently considered getting a CF guitar and I’ve heard good things about Emeral guitars, so I may try buying an x20. The x20 seems like a good all around guitar, like Taylor’s grand auditorium size. I was considering a rainsong since a dealer here has them in stock and they sound good, but Emerald guitars look nicer to me and I like how they use stainless steel frets. Anyways, I don’t know how I am supposed to handle the negotiating for the price since Emerald sells direct. For Martin guitars, the dealers have been able to give me at least 40% off list. Would someone please give me some advice?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Anticipation Junkie

With Emerald, since they sell direct to the customer, the price is the price...unless you might be willing to score a “second” (or B) guitar. Never hurts to inquire or even ask for a discount. They are a great company, so you never know. Their prices are quite competitive and top-notch quality. Worth every penny, imo.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Tom said it very well above. Contact Sean and ask... can't hurt. Great guitars and a fine company to work with.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:52 PM

Be warned that there may also be some hidden costs.

In addition to the roughly 10-20% price increase this January, Emerald is also tacking on additional shipping charges. (The shipping is reasonable, but it was priced in previously)

Also, some folks are now reporting that there is a roughly 8% customs duty. Ireland used to be on a "duty free for music instruments" list, but searching the unified tariff schedule they no longer appear on the list.

That Chimaera I have been wanting is starting to get priced out of reach.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

Last edited by AZLiberty; 02-20-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:58 AM

Thank you for the insight. All very valuable to know. I may just consider a rainsong since it’s available at my local dealer. I don’t know if one sounds better than the other, but I do know the rainsong looks plain while the Emerald x20 looks fantastic. Like a Toyota vs a Lexus. What to do...
Old 02-21-2018, 08:09 AM

I have never had an opportunity to try any other brand of cf guitar, so only know about Emerald.

I’ve got an X7 , It’s my second one, as a buddy took a fancy to the first one and I stupidly sold it ,
the Emeralds ARE still worth the money IMO.

As you have already seen in the pics and vids, they are beautiful guitars, they withstand any amount of close up scrutiny too,
just makes you marvel more at the fit and finish and above all the FEEL of them.

Every maker puts his prices up year on year, all the more reason not to hesitate !

A couple hundred extra on tax and shipping shouldn’t be enough to swing you away from a lifetime 2000 dollah purchase.

If it’s any consolation, you still get them cheaper in America than we do here in Britain, where 20% V.A.T is applied to everything under the sun.

Last edited by Long Jon; 02-21-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I appreciate Emerald's no-nonsense pricing. When compared to what Martin and Taylor do with the MSRP, MAP, and street price, you know what you are going to pay when you see the price on their website.

The workmanship, sound, and playability are certainly worth the price.

Seems like folks have come to expect some kind of a "discount" on a guitar, and if it isn't there, they will move on to "the next deal." I would much rather know up front what my intended purchase will cost rather than going into the buying experience as adversaries.

My buying experiences with Emerald have been very positive... and the guitars are outstanding.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like the Emerald trips your trigger a bit more Windchaser, if so that's what you should get. Doubt you would regret it. I have an X20 and a H-WS1000N2, the Rainsong never gets played if that helps you any. I think a lot of folks preference depends on their style of playing though.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:43 AM

List prices for products don't mean anything. Just pretend that Emerald has list prices that are roughly 27% more than the actual price. That's what Martin does.

So if you buy an Emerald, you could spend $2,000 on a guitar that would have had a list price of over $2,500. Maybe even $3,000. Or $10,000, who cares, list price is an imaginary number anyway. Those Emerald guitars are a heck of a deal!

A lot of companies have been getting away from list prices and just going with MAP. The actual price you pay is what matters anyway.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:55 AM

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I’m going to think about this a little more before making a decision. I can’t discount the beauty of the Emerald guitars. They look so beautiful they make me think of jewelry or precious stones when I look at them. Heck, I may just buy one to sit in my living room to just look at!
Old 02-21-2018, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I would never want to put down any of the carbon fiber guitars that I have owned and it's been a bunch.

I started with Composite Acoustics and they make a really fine guitar overall. Very close to the sound of a wooden guitar. A little heavy built but every guitar is different and this is no exception.

While still owing a CA dread and a GX model I bought a Rainsong WS1000 older guitar with original neck profile which a lot of people seem to love. It also was a great guitar. A brighter sound overall more in the Taylor guitar sound to my ears. Great guitar. Not really my thing but well built and solid overall.

Next a Blackbird lucky 13. This was before they tweaked the sound a little. Neat guitar and great build quality. Not really my cup'o tea either but a lot of people love them and rightfully so.

Bought my first Emerald X20 Artisan from a Guitar Center that had been traded in. Once I got some new strings on it and a little setup I was really in love with the tone, playability and overall build. For me personally it checks all of the boxes.

If you are into a more traditional looking guitar then the X20 really is not that. A neat looking guitar but the look is one that really has the player and what's comfy and what he hears in mind maybe more so than the others I've mentioned.

Please know this is just my personal observations. I liked them all and could play any of them. I chose Emerald (over & over again, I now own 4 of them) and have owned them longer than any of the others.

In a few words I really love all things about my Emeralds!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 02-21-2018, 02:06 PM

Off Topic for CF. But, does Guitar Center ever order/sell Martins or other brands for 40% off?
Old 02-21-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Off Topic for CF. But, does Guitar Center ever order/sell Martins or other brands for 40% off?
Usually not. From my experience, they never came close to 40% off. The only ones they offered 40% or more were dented or damaged ones.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindChaser View Post
Usually not. From my experience, they never came close to 40% off. The only ones they offered 40% or more were dented or damaged ones.
My experience as well, lucky to see more than 10-15% from a holiday sale.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Another thumbs-up for custom Emerald guitars. I ordered my custom woody X20 last May and got it in December just days before Christmas. It was a long, hard wait for me (I don't wait well) but I'm glad I did it. It came out exactly as I'd expected although there were a few things I would likely change now if I could.

I've been tempted to order another one but I've noticed the increase in prices which would add a significant increase to a new custom build so I'm just going to hold off for now. I'm still hoping for an X10 model in the future that might split the difference in body size between the X7 and X20. So for now I'll just wait.

I've played out quite a bit in the last few years at open mics and other casual gigs with some really nice, relatively high-end and good looking guitars. Martins, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, to name a few. I never got a single comment on the good looks of my guitars until I got the X20 Woody.

Now not a gig goes by that I don't have at least one, and usually more, comments on what a beautiful guitar it is. And then when I tell them it's a carbon fiber the conversation goes to a whole new level!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber