The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-07-2020, 01:16 PM

Default Any G&L Tribute Legacy owners?

Musician's Friend has the "Irish Ale" Tribute Legacy (Indonesia manufactured nyato body Strat) for Thursday's Stupid Deal. I got a Tribute ASAT (Telecast clone) a couple years ago and love the thing for good sound, feel, and low price bang for the buck. Never have a Strat style, so thinking of getting this to add to the different electrics I own. Any owner of Tribute Legacy here, or even this specific model?
Old 05-07-2020, 01:55 PM

I've owned several G&L Tributes including 2 different Legacy models. I believe the first Legacy that I owned was made in Korea and more recently I want to say that it was built in Indonesia. I sold one and gave the second one to my nephew.

I currently own three Tribute ASAT's that I really enjoy a lot. The newer one is a Bluesboy with a Kent Armstrong PAF in the neck and a DiMarzio Chopper T in the bridge and a rosewood fretboard. The second one has 2 x PAF's and a rosewood fretboard. The third and oldest one is has single coil pickups on the neck and bridge and a maple fretboard.

Overall I would say that G&L Tribute series guitars are excellent quality guitars. I've owned one of the ASAT's for more than 10 years and it has been a great workhorse. I would have kept the Legacys longer, but I guess I would say I'm not really a strat kind of person. In fact, I gave my nephew one of my Legacys and he really loves that guitar.

I see that MF has various Tributes on sale from time to time. A super great value even at the regular price, but at the Stupid-Deal-Of-The-Day price, how can you go wrong?

Good luck making your decision and definitely post a photo if you decide to buy one.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:24 PM

$299 down from $499. If I lived in the US I would have purchased a MS Stupid Deal of the Day (SDOTD) G&L by now. Different models come on sale at different times.

I'm not an owner but one day perhaps one day.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
$299 down from $499. If I lived in the US I would have purchased a MS Stupid Deal of the Day (SDOTD) G&L by now. Different models come on sale at different times.

I'm not an owner but one day perhaps one day.
Not all Tributes are built equal. I had a Bluesboy, but the bridge pickup was fine, not great and the HB at the neck was very muddy. I found that the only position I really liked was bridge and it didn't really blow my socks off either. I could've tinkered w/the pickups but opted to sell and get something else.

OTOH, I have a Tribute Ascari w/P90's that is a stellar guitar. Great build quality and the pickups are strong and clear in every position both clean and distorted.

If MF ever has a sale on the S500 I will bite for sure, as I hear the MFD single coils are fantastic - not quite P90's but more juice than a standard SC. The Legacy's seem to be hit or miss in the quality department.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-07-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Not all Tributes are built equal. I had a Bluesboy, but the bridge pickup was fine, not great and the HB at the neck was very muddy. I found that the only position I really liked was bridge and it didn't really blow my socks off either. I could've tinkered w/the pickups but opted to sell and get something else.
My ASAT's a standard pickup configuration of two single coils, bridge and neck, not the Bluesboy style, the Swamp Ash natural finish that shows up at MF Stupid Deal from time to time. I think it's fine, and different from my other electrics, but I've never own a Fender Telecaster or got to do a side by side comparison.

At $299 what do I have to lose, right? Except wife's wondering when is it going to stop! I now have 4 electrics and 4 acoustics and one project J bass.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post
My ASAT's a standard pickup configuration of two single coils, bridge and neck, not the Bluesboy style, the Swamp Ash natural finish that shows up at MF Stupid Deal from time to time. I think it's fine, and different from my other electrics, but I've never own a Fender Telecaster or got to do a side by side comparison.

At $299 what do I have to lose, right? Except wife's wondering when is it going to stop! I now have 4 electrics and 4 acoustics and one project J bass.
Hope you get a good one. I got a good deal on a used VM Squier Strat w/SD designed p'ups and really like it or I might bite myself. Let us know what you think when you get it.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 05-07-2020, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

I had one in blue burst and now realize it was a gateway drug. It led to an S-500 that led to a custom Legacy.

I felt my mouse hand twitch when I saw that SDOTD, please let us know if you snagged one.

Btw- $300 is what I bought and sold mine for. Nice deal on a new one.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:07 PM

I was worried about the weight. I need light guitars.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
My Bluesboy was quite heavy. Not uncommon in Teles.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 05-07-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Might be nice going light. I am used to weight, use a Led Paul Standard to this day, and a swamp ash Tele style (the ASAT) is no lightweight, either.

Well, won't have to worry about upsetting the wife, the Stupid deal must has sold out, there's a Mitchell up now when I went back to pull the trigger. Sorry, guys.

I'll have to wait another couple months for that one to go back on sale again.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
My Bluesboy was quite heavy. Not uncommon in Teles.

My teles are very light.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars