The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:14 AM

Default ToneDexter Thread

Hi everyone,

My ToneDexter arrives today and I'm very interested in sharing results/tips etc. Is anyone else here receiving one of the initial batch?
Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 AM

UPS tracking reports it's to be delivered today. I'm playing the VFW tomorrow, so that'll be a nice test.

I'll try to post some Dry/Wet comparison samples through my Schrtler Unico this evening.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Although I'm on the first-edition list, and have a few days to decide, I'm debating following through on getting a ToneDexter because I recently spent $250 on an LR Baggs Session DI. Although the Session DI seems to do some subtly nice things for amplified tone, does anyone else wish they'd used the money spent on their Session DI toward getting the ToneDexter instead? I do ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 AM

I believe that if it's as good as we hope it is then you should just get one and sell the Baggs one...
Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 PM

Tell Chance I said "hi"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
UPS tracking reports it's to be delivered today. I'm playing the VFW tomorrow, so that'll be a nice test.

I'll try to post some Dry/Wet comparison samples through my Schrtler Unico this evening.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Although I'm on the first-edition list, and have a few days to decide, I'm debating following through on getting a ToneDexter because I recently spent $250 on an LR Baggs Session DI. Although the Session DI seems to do some subtly nice things for amplified tone, does anyone else wish they'd used the money spent on their Session DI toward getting the ToneDexter instead? I do ...
I don't own the Session but every time I have come close to purchasing it, I pull out. I always hear that it's subtle and I am not really sure if it's worth the price for such a small "improvement". With that said, I need to hear more from the Tonedexter before I take the plunge. The thing is though, if it is the real deal, I see no point in spending a lot on the actual pickup. It seems as though an affordable UST or SBT would do the trick.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 PM

I have mine and I am testing it. So far the results are meeting expectations.

I'll do more tomorrow and will try to record something.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:15 PM

Here's a quick comparison.

You first hear my K&K equipped Martin CEO7 straight into a completely flat Schertler Unico and recorded via a Zoom H2 about 2 feet away. Then you hear the same setup using a ToneDexter preamp (also completely flat).

No processing whatsoever.

If you're aiming for the sound of a mic but just want to use a cheap pickup, this is as close as the world offers right now.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:

You first hear my K&K equipped Martin CEO7 straight into a completely flat Schertler Unico and recorded via a Zoom H2 about 2 feet away. Then you hear the same setup using a ToneDexter preamp (also completely flat).

If you're aiming for the sound of a mic but just want to use a cheap pickup, this is as close as the world offers right now.
That's pretty impressive!! What microphone did you use??
Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 PM

Your guitar sounds bright (I like that)! What kind of mic did you use and what are the tone dexter eq settings set to?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the comparison Buzzard. It doesn't sound natural to me. Sounds processed. I like your pickup better I think. I don't know. I'll be curious what others think.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

buzzardwiskey, I'm a bit confused. The first part the guitar is plugged into the Schertler and you recorded the output of the amp with the Zoom H2. So is the second part the same other than having the ToneDexter between the CEO7 and the Schertler ?

And of course, the mic used to record the acoustic sound into the ToneDexter during the learning process will have an effect on what the ToneDexter is trying to duplicate.

In this example it sounds to me like the result is much closer to how the guitar would sound un-amplified. Funny how folks have gotten so used to the usual amplified tone that it seems normal.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 PM

I trained the Tonedexter using a Miktek PM5 http://www.miktekaudio.com/pm5/

I tried several placements but decided I liked having the mic about 8" away, slightly lower, pointed slightly up and at the the neck/body juncture.

First recording:
Martin CEO7 with K&K -> plugged into ToneDexter but bypassed -> Schertler Unico (flat EQ) -> Zoom H2 about 2ft away

Second recording:
Martin CEO7 with K&K -> plugged into ToneDexter (flat EQ) -> Schertler Unico (flat EQ) -> Zoom H2 about 2ft away

The second recording really sounds like a simple mic. I think it's kind of amazing really. I've ordered a Digitech RB360 and I intend to run it on the ToneDexter's effects loop to add a tiny bit of compression, and a tiny bit of reverb.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 PM

How much can you blend those signals?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:11 PM

Thanks for the demo, David. To my ears, ToneDexter does sound like a miked guitar and it entirely removes that inside-the-guitar sound which has always bugged me about soundboard pickups and internal mics.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification