The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-15-2016, 02:31 PM

Default TC-Helicon Voicetone Harmony-G XT

I just discovered the existence of this device. I like to do home recordings for my own personal use and I would love to add vocal harmonies. This seems like a good inexpensive option.

Can I use this with an Audiobox USB and a guitar that is on a microphone rather than a pickup. All of the demo videos I have seen with this device have shown it with a guitar that has a pickup installed. My guitar does not have a pickup. Can I still use the TC-Helicon Voicetone Harmony-G XT to create vocal harmonies this way?

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e
Old 02-16-2016, 05:56 AM

Here's the hitch, the guitar input on the TC is necessary for the unit to know what key the harmonies should be in, so you've got get the guitar signal to the TC. In other words, you would have to get the guitar mic to line level in order to feed the pitch info to the TC.

One way around this, the TC can function as a very capable mixer for a solo guitar/singer. The mic input has excellent fx (eq, verb, compression) and you can pass the guitar signal on to the output with some reverb. I've done some small gigs with just the TC outputs to powered speakers and it sounds fantastic.

If you got an inexpensive mic pre (preferably with some eq) you could plug your guitar signal into the TC (along with you vocal mic) and record the output of the TC into your Audiobox. The output of the TC would be your final mix.

The TC can sound really good and generate some very realistic harmonies but it does take some work and a good bit of practice, and not all types of harmonies work.

Hope that helps!
2012 Fender American Standard Strat
2015 Fender American Standard Telecaster
1965 Fender Mustang (Original)
Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass
iPad2 w/SetListMaker
Old 02-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
I just discovered the existence of this device. I like to do home recordings for my own personal use and I would love to add vocal harmonies. This seems like a good inexpensive option.

Can I use this with an Audiobox USB and a guitar that is on a microphone rather than a pickup. All of the demo videos I have seen with this device have shown it with a guitar that has a pickup installed. My guitar does not have a pickup. Can I still use the TC-Helicon Voicetone Harmony-G XT to create vocal harmonies this way?
Another alternative to consider with recording is forget the TC unit ( given you do not have a pic up) and simply dub in vocal harmonies

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-16-2016, 10:56 AM

I suspect it would be more difficult than it's worth. Having toyed a bit with my G XT, I can say it is a very nice unit for live use. I suspect it would be easier to over dub harmony. The G XT seems to be designed to use a line level source.

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-16-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:17 AM

Although - if you look at the manual - you can put it in manual mode and specify the key and therefore you don't need the line in from the guitar. I've used it and it works fine. If you google YT you'll see a few other singers who are just using it without a line in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD