The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-16-2015, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post

The bit about clearing the settings in the original though - that seems like a trap for the unwary/noobie. (just noting it and sure I'll forget it if I use stems)
Again I do not use Reaper, Are referring to having adjusted settings on the effects you applied to a track or stem then rendered it , are you saying once rendered that the adjustments go back to default on that track in the session itself ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-16-2015, 11:39 AM

2023 EDIT - Folks tried to help but it just didn't work. No MIDI drums.

Some folks are helpful. Some, very few, are not. I'm not going to ask questions here any more.

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-08-2023 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:40 AM

Some folks are helpful. Some, very few, are not. I'm not going to ask questions here any more.

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-08-2023 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
This was referring to good advice offered earlier that will go in one ear and out the other at this phase in my journey. (I'm still busy just keeping it between the white lines)
Ah got it yes can be a bit overwhelming at first. I have one possible suggestion for a book that may help with getting perhaps a better fundamental basic understanding of virtually all things audio. Understanding Audio is a pretty good resource for basic audio and digital audio lingo and concepts. It does get into some technical detail but is pretty good at layman explanations also

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0634009591

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-18-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:53 PM

Here are a couple of suggestions to help you along on your journey.
http://ca.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTi...11810689X.html
Although entitled Home Recording for Dummies, this book, like all the books in this series, is not for dummies at all but rather for people smart enough to know they need help.
I would also recommend the website soundonsound.com. As well as presenting reviews of audio gear this site often has really informative articles about recording processes.
Good luck!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:05 PM

Old 03-25-2015, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Unimogbert - Apple's Logic Training May just Be Your Ticket!

Aloha Unimogbert,

Selecting the right DAW for your recording goals & sensibilities is NOT easy. It takes time - for everyone. They all work the same, but are all different. The learning curve to learn most DAW's completely IS steep. But you don't need to learn a DAW completely for acoustic tracks & should be able to lay down some decent tracks in a very short time of practicing & learning on one.

If you're serious about recording, then I recommend you take the time to try out some of the free downloads of DAW's from the main manufacturers. One may stand out over the others.

I started on PTLE ( a failure for me), then tried out 15 DAW's including Reaper (not my favorite) & finally settled on Apple's Logic Pro, which along w/ Pro Tools 11 are the only two DAW's considered fully professional & every studio has them.

Question: I didn't read if you're on a PC or Mac?

If you're recording at home, then go with an iMac (which allows for more RAM memory - up to 32GB) than Mac laptops & provides much better screen options (larger choices, better quality - important if you're spending many hours on it).

Combine an iMac (or Mini or Macbook Pro) with Apple's great Logic Pro X DAW (made for Mac's & also fully integrated w/ Apogee interfaces for best compatibility). I prefer Logic Pro's workflow to all others - for all functions. It offers much more than you'll need & high quality across the board. You won't believe its percussion library & capability. Logic also works great w/ most external plug-in's (not true of Reaper) & is 64-bit capable. Additionally, Logic's User Forums are the best, IMO, for support & creative suggestions.

Why Logic Pro? Here's The Mac Training Advantage
You don't have to learn how to maximize a DAW (I didn't have the time for that) on your own if you buy Logic Pro from Apple. Sign up for Apple's 'One to One" program when you buy your Mac or Logic Pro. They will teach you everything you need to know in one on one sessions - something that is not true of other DAW manufacturers. Want to get into your music more & less into long hours trying to teach yourself DAW workflows? Then Sign Up for Apple's "one-to-one" program.

For $99 you'll receive unlimited training sessions for a year! I did 56 "one on one" sessions with a certified Logic trainer in one year at a store of my choice (flexible schedules) & it really demystified Logic Pro for me. And it wasn't an issue at all for me to bring my iMac to each session. You can also renew for another year. I go in for tune ups every now & then. It was the best $99 I ever spent on any kind of training. Check that out!

If you're on a PC, there is nothing wrong w/ PT 11 for Mac's (except Avid's arrogance & unpredictability - I had many bad experiences with their service dept. when I ran PTLE many years ago). Those two DAW's are so much better than all the other DAW's IMO. The sooner you get into one of those, the sooner you'll learn it, depending on your recording goals. They have everything! Not cheap. But w/ the training, Logic Pro is a no-brainer, especially if you want someone to teach you one of the best DAW's out there without having to learning all the language of a DAW workflow by yourself!

Again, an important thing to remember when shopping for DAW's is that Pro Tools & Logic Pro are the only two fully professional DAW's found in every studio. So if you record some great tracks & want an ME to master a finished product for you in his/her studio, those are the two DAW's you can use to easily do that (forget it Reaper users).

General tips: BTW, store your your music projects on some really good ext. hard drives. Glyph's have the best guarantees for lost data down the road. And use your computer alone only for music projects. Don't share it w/ daily computer activities to avoid issues. And learn which "problematic" upgrades to avoid as well.

Check it out, Unimogbert. Nail down your recording goals. All the best!

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 03-25-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:47 AM

Old 03-26-2015, 12:09 PM

i will take that advice about apple macs,what interface would you recommend for an apple ????
Old 03-26-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybones at 50 View Post
i will take that advice about apple macs,what interface would you recommend for an apple ????
hey lazybones, I know I'm jumping into a conversation already underway but I'm running Logic Pro X in my MacBook with an Apogee Quartet interface. My understanding is that the Quartet interface uses the same preamps and converters as the Symphony I/O (Apogee's flagship modular system). The Quartet is 4 in 6 out, so plenty for my current needs. Short version, I love my little setup and now just need to learn to maximize it. That said, I'll turn the thread back to alohachris and his excellent advise. He advised me to acoustically treat my space and it's the best single piece of home recording advise I've received to date.

Trevor
Old 03-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Friends Nice Thread!

Aloha Lazybones,

I agree w/ Trevor. Apogee makes great interfaces that are affordable with pristine sounding, on-board mic preamps that are designed to be optimized with Apple products. RME is another one I highly recommend. As you move up the trough, Lavry & Metric Halo are excellent interfaces to check out.

Many (most) of the entry level interfaces have mediocre (at best) onboard mic preamps. That's where Apogee (Duet) & RME (Babyface) shine.

Apple & Apogee fully integrate the hardware & software. The result is the most stable combo I know of. I've had no crashes in eight years of using that combo (iMac, Logic Pro DAW, Apogee Ensemble & Duet 1 interfaces & Glyph external storage hard-drives). I only use my iMac for music projects, NOT everyday computing to avoid problems down the road.

You can find several USED (well under $500) Apogee Duet 1 & 2's at AGF & Gearslutz or other online pro audio classifieds sites.

Aloha Unimogbert,

No targeted market, only other friends sharing great opinions. I provided my response (experience) to inform all here RE: Apple's "One-to One" Program. From what I've read, I kinda guessed that your recording goals where somewhat time-sensitive. That program can help save lotsa time in shortening the DAW learning curve. A small recorder & Reaper, Garageband or even Audacity might work best for your goals. The trouble is that those simple DAW's have limitations when it comes to MIDI, external plug-in, limited libraries & compatibility with other products.

Good Luck to you, sir.

But that Apple "one-to-one" program is a real winner for any player wanting to have a world-class DAW's workflow & short-cuts demystified for them by certified trainers in convenient settings.

A Hui Hou!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 03-26-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:11 PM

Thanks Trevor,but i think i need a cheaper alternative .I think i would be happy with that set up.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:52 PM

Thanks Alohachris, will look at the duet...a friend did recommend presonus firewire ..what are your thoughts please!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:01 PM

Old 03-29-2015, 09:58 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-08-2023 at 02:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD