The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I just did a sound check with the Lyric/Venue into Adobe Audition CS6. I tried adding multi-band compression and went thru the presets. Some of them sounded really nice and really improved the sound of the Lyric greatly.

I also ran the same file into Cakewalk's Sonar X3 to try out their saturation effect...that just added a nasty distortion so I wasn't very pleased with that.

The multi-band compressor really put on a nice finishing touch, so this Session DI might be just what the doctor ordered.

Another studio trick I used is to clean up the audio track with Audition's Noise Reduction feature, which really cleaned up the track nicely, and really improved the sound.

So with all that said, I was able to get the Lyric to sound very close to the demo's on the LR Baggs website. So the Lyric does need help, but does have the capability to deliver a quality sound. I have no desire to change pickups.
In one of my main gigging guitars the pickup system just recently died on me and I don't have time to get a new system before my next gig. Luckily, my fiancee bought me the Lyric a few months ago that I never got around to installing. I like that enhanced bass tone that UST and magnetic pickups give so I decided to leave it for a bit.

Anyway, since I am kind of in a bad spot now with a gig just around the corner, I have decided to install the Lyric today. I am going to basically take a chance on it. The band I play in requires a lot of heavy strumming so it actually might be a good choice for that. I know it will be a huge adjustment for me tonally but I am actually excited to see how it performs.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:58 AM

It's a good pickup, I use it mainly for playing thru my foot pedal effects for practicing and writing new music....I have also used it for recording and it works great because it doesn't pickup room noise like a mic would. I like it a lot.

Like I said in my previous post, it needs a bit of polish with EQ and Multi-band compression, but once you add that, you end up with a fabulous sound. The Lyric provides a very good signal to work with.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 01-25-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntik View Post
lr baggs acoustic session di with empress para eq, would be is a good combination?
It's impossible to have a "preset" multiband compressor and an EQ stuffed in one box. As soon as someone starts tweaking EQ the multiband compressor goes to heck in a hand basket. It doesn't work that way One either abides by the parameters of the preset multiband or not. Ya can't have both without a sonic train wreck. Having both in series is the equivillant of pounding a square peg into a round hole.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:16 PM

This from Guitar World,

http://guitarz4u.blogspot.com/2015/0...s-session.html

MSRP $359, MAP $259.

This video is much more informative:

Release date "a couple of months." You can also drive your car over it.
Martin 000-28EC Crossroads
Martin HD 28 "Torrefied"

Last edited by hoyadoc; 01-25-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:27 PM

So I have no experience with any processing/DI's in the past. I've always gone into an acoustic amp or PA directly. I now see the advantages of all this gear, especially after discussing it with a local singer/songwriter.

So if you were me what would you do? I have a few gigs coming up and wanted to get a DI now, but I have a really important gig in April where the Session may be out by then.

So if you were going to buy something now (with the idea of the 2 being complimentary), and with the plan for getting the Session when it comes out, which would you choose and why? I use a few different acoustics, 2 with the Fishman Matrix Infinity (older version) pickups. Planing on a K&K mini for a D28 and a 000-28.

If this deserves a separate thread I'll move it (if I can figure out how).

Thanks.
Martin 000-28EC Crossroads
Martin HD 28 "Torrefied"
Old 01-25-2015, 01:44 PM

They say that the Venue DI works well with the Session. I'm planning on running both together.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 01-25-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
It's impossible to have a "preset" multiband compressor and an EQ stuffed in one box. As soon as someone starts tweaking EQ the multiband compressor goes to heck in a hand basket. It doesn't work that way One either abides by the parameters of the preset multiband or not. Ya can't have both without a sonic train wreck. Having both in series is the equivillant of pounding a square peg into a round hole.
if we have turned off the compression?
Old 01-25-2015, 02:50 PM

After watching the second video, I am starting to feel like the Session would be a better fit run through the FX loop of a unit like the Venue or Platinum Pro DI or even as the first pedal that the guitar sees before hitting the Venue or Platinum. Although it's not acoustic imaging like the Aura pedals, it seems to alter the tone to what Lr Baggs thinks a pickup should sound like.

I am actually hesitant to get the first version. When the Aura first came out it did not have a lot of features and was an independent pedal. Then they released the Spectrum DI which was a combination of their Platinum Pro DI and Aura pedals. I can see Lr Baggs doing the same with their Venue and Session in the future.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:05 PM

I hope they offer an introductory sale price like some manufacturers do, or maybe even a pre-release sale...
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 01-25-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyadoc View Post
So I have no experience with any processing/DI's in the past. I've always gone into an acoustic amp or PA directly. I now see the advantages of all this gear, especially after discussing it with a local singer/songwriter.

So if you were me what would you do? I have a few gigs coming up and wanted to get a DI now, but I have a really important gig in April where the Session may be out by then.

So if you were going to buy something now (with the idea of the 2 being complimentary), and with the plan for getting the Session when it comes out, which would you choose and why? I use a few different acoustics, 2 with the Fishman Matrix Infinity (older version) pickups. Planing on a K&K mini for a D28 and a 000-28.

If this deserves a separate thread I'll move it (if I can figure out how).

Thanks.
Since your Matrix systems are active, the signal is already being buffered by an onboard preamp. You can get by without an outboard preamp/DI. Some possible advantages of having an outboard preamp/DI would be a) onstage volume control (if there's no volume wheel on your guitar), b) possibly better EQ control than the amp or PA mixer provide, c) special processing capabilities, as with Fishman's Aura Spectrum DI or the Session DI being discussed and d) onstage availability of a signal phase inversion. (A signal phase inversion can sometimes lessen feedback problems or {alternatively} provide a fuller sounding signal.)

If the Pure Mini is passive, it will likely work well with the amp, assuming a relatively short cable (10' or less) between guitar and amp. On the other hand, the bass end won't be as full sounding when running directly to a PA mixer with a relatively low input impedance. An outboard preamp/DI might be helpful in maintaining a fuller sound, as well as providing the other possible advantages listed above.

If I needed another basic preamp/DI and was going for sheer value, with respect to features for the price, I'd likely purchase Fishman's new Platinum Stage preamp.

Last edited by guitaniac; 01-25-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:13 PM

I'm definitely lost on all this. I cannot see the multiband compression abilities in this pedal being any more than a hype.

Multiband compression with only one knob? Ca'mon! To me, if anything, it looks like a preset amount of compression that operates on one or more bands of EQ which you can sweep with that one knob. Possibly there is some internal adjustment of the compression parameters as you sweep for the frequency ranges but that is not real multiband compression in my book because you got no separate control over the bands and compression ... unless I've completely missed something I think it's a bit rich calling this multiband compression.

Last edited by janmulder; 01-25-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
I'm definitely lost on all this. I cannot see the multiband compression abilities in this pedal being any more than a hype.

Multiband compression with only one knob? Ca'mon! To me, if anything, it looks like a preset amount of compression that operates on one band of EQ which you can sweep with that one knob. Possibly there is some internal adjustment of the compression parameters as you sweep for the frequency ranges but that is just narrow band compression in my book ... unless I've completely missed something I think it's a bit rich calling this multiband compression.
It's not much different than using presets in Adobe Auditions multi-band compressor. According to them, the parameters have been pre-set for you. This is why I'd really like to hear an A/B test to actually hear the difference this pedal makes.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 01-25-2015, 04:23 PM

I'm sure it makes a difference ... especially with their pickups, but I think the description is a bit misleading.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
I'm sure it makes a difference ... especially with their pickups, but I think the description is a bit misleading.
Well they are saying the parameters used are the same that was used to make their pickup demo video's. They sound great. So this may be the magic dust everybody is looking for. I certainly would like more information on what was actually used in the video mixing and mastering sessions.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 01-25-2015, 04:33 PM

Yeah ... but they couldn't call it the 'magic dust' knob cos it wouldn't sound so impressive

As I said, I'm sure it will make their (and other pickups) sound better in certain signal chains. It kinda reminds me of the AER Colouriser a bit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification