The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 AM

My guess is they want to make sure the advertising is for a "mic" unit which stands alone, no pic-up [general deffinition] needed.

Looks like they may or may not have tweeked the Anthem mic to stand alone.

My guess is it'll come in around $100.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. The Baggs folks continue to amaze me. "Relentless innovation" is indeed an appropriate slogan for them. If nothing is, this new system will be a boon for direct recording.
Hi guitaniac...

Innovation?

K&Ks have had internal mics for over a decade, and this looks like the mic from the Baggs Anthem rig with perhaps a different circuit board in the preamp.

James Olson has been installing internal mics for at least 15 years (originally Crown or Sony).

While I think it's interesting and useful, it's not new, or particularly unusual.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxstringer View Post
The write-up says "no pickup"....so excuse this dumb question, but what does that mean?!? No battery? No endpin plug? I thought if it is installed internally, it is by definition, a "pickup"?
Hi 6stringer...

I'd differentiate between a microphone (internal or external) and a pickup. Different characteristics for collecting sound versus a pickup.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
The write-up says "no pickup"....so excuse this dumb question, but what does that mean?!? No battery? No endpin plug? I thought if it is installed internally, it is by definition, a "pickup"?
Seeing how the Anthem uses a Tru-Mic plus an Element undersaddle pickup, I think it's pretty safe to assume this uses a modified/revised version of the Tru-Mic with no UST. So, yes, it will have a battery and need an endpin jack. However, it will not need to have an undersaddle pickup installed.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettin' Better View Post
The Lyric mounts on the bridge plate, like the K&K, not in the sound hole, like the Anthem. It's going to be different. Does anyone know what it's going to cost?
Hi GB...

For the sake of clarification the K&K Pure Western Mini pickup attaches to the soundboard. The K&K internal mic is actually extended and oriented to point upward from beneath the soundhole in the soundhole area. This is one reason why I think they sound less boxy...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi guitaniac...

Innovation?

K&Ks have had internal mics for over a decade, and this looks like the mic from the Baggs Anthem rig with perhaps a different circuit board in the preamp.

James Olson has been installing internal mics for at least 15 years (originally Crown or Sony).

While I think it's interesting and useful, it's not new, or particularly unusual.

Fishman's had internal mics for almost 25 years and I know Lloyd Baggs has used 'em on custom installs for almost as long also.

Perhaps K&K's new marketing slogan should be "Following the Leaders in Acoustic Amplification". Just sayin'...
Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
Fishman's had internal mics for almost 25 years and I know Lloyd Baggs has used 'em on custom installs for almost as long also.

Perhaps K&K's new marketing slogan should be "Following the Leaders in Acoustic Amplification". Just sayin'...
Hi Side Man...

This was about someone calling Baggs company Innovative for inventing a stand alone internal mic, not about which brand had it first. In the 1970 James Taylor using was masking tape with Shure Lavaliere mics (SM-11) inside the body of a Martin Dreadnaught and then taping the soundhole shut with 4X6 note cards. Sony had gooseneck ones which installed through the endpin.

K&K wasn't probably the originator of the idea, and maybe not any of the big guys...Commercially I don't care who was first. Most good ideas were sown in seed form and then improved upon. I hope they don't stop experimenting.

Long live experimentation...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi GB...

For the sake of clarification the K&K Pure Western Mini pickup attaches to the soundboard.

Actually, I think it attaches to the brdge plate, if that makes a difference. But in either case, does that mean the Lyric would be similar to the K&K PWM, though the latter is passive, with no battery.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:34 PM

The new pickup uses one general rule. EQ! That's simply it. This not new. I am pretty sure Baggs designed this pickup to eliminate certain frequencies between 100/200khz that cause feedback. The boxiness comes from how sensitive and where it the microphone is placed. I am also sure it not advertised as a replacement for the Anthem. It's a pickup clearly designed for solo artist. The Anthem mic pretty much does a high pass slope that cuts off everything lower than 200khz and slightly dips down from there til about 3khz. Then frequencies taken from the Anthem are compensated with the Element. It new in a sense that Baggs has pre-EQ'ed everything in the Anthem and Lyric for you already. I still think the M1 and iBeam/K&K mini is still the best combination with the iMix internal preamp for EQing the preferred transducer. Heck the iMix in general used correctly is still the best compared to others for natural tones.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Actually, I think it attaches to the brdge plate
Hi 6s...

You are right, it is the bridge plate, and the mic doesn't attach to anything (well the wiring is afixed to braces).

I don't hear the similarities in the recordings, but I'm interested to see how the Lyric sounds in real life application.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Hi 6s...

You are right, it is the bridge plate, and the mic doesn't attach to anything (well the wiring is afixed to braces).

I don't hear the similarities in the recordings, but I'm interested to see how the Lyric sounds in real life application.

I would also like to hear it compared to the Anthem. I would imagine its just the Anthem with differ EQing and internal preamps. Nothing sounds better than the low end of an acoustic pickup by a decent condenser mic. My bottom dollar says this is strictly for solo artist and not band applications.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Hi Side Man...

This was about someone calling Baggs company Innovative for inventing a stand alone internal mic, not about which brand had it first. In the 1970 James Taylor using was masking tape with Shure Lavaliere mics (SM-11) inside the body of a Martin Dreadnaught and then taping the soundhole shut with 4X6 note cards. Sony had gooseneck ones which installed through the endpin.

K&K wasn't probably the originator of the idea, and maybe not any of the big guys...Commercially I don't care who was first. Most good ideas were sown in seed form and then improved upon. I hope they don't stop experimenting.

Long live experimentation...

Actually, this was about the OP posting about a new Baggs product... 'nuff said.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

What makes the Baggs mic different from many others (but not all) is eq filtering circuitry is part of the product. In addition, the product may have some intentional phase cancellation/nulling as part of the electronic and/or mechanical design, as inferred from Baggs' reference to "noise canceling technology that rejects "boxy" reflections inside of the acoustic chamber".
Old 12-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

I never quite get why people are so hard on companies that create new products. Mics aren't new, for sure, but the devil's in the details. Innovation these days is going to be about subtle things. This looks like a very interesting new twist, and I'd bet it took quite a bit of R&D. Anyone who's produced and shipped a product knows that nothing is simple. If you want to compare it to something, I'd compare it to the Dyn-G. It's certainly not the same thing as sticking a mic inside the soundhole. I have no idea if it sounds good - haven't listened to the clips - but it's intriguing, and I just love that people continue to try new things, whether it's something radical or even a tiny twist on an existing product. Acoustic amplification falls so far short of what I'd like to have as a player, so I'm really happy that Baggs, Fishman, Taylor, etc, etc continue to experiment. We should cheer them on!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:57 PM

Thumbs up Prognostication in the key of A+

I would venture to say that this is obviously a next generation of the Anthem, but with two new patents, I am guessing it is innovative enought to warrant a distinction between the two, as opposed to the "Anthm III".

Of course, it could simply be marketing, but no ust leads me to believe otherwise. My experience with L.R. and their history lead me to believe hat this truly will be a compelling option.

I have an I-Beam in my 514 and love it.

If the Lyric is all its hyped to be, that will go to my beater, and the Lyric will go into the 514, and that's what I am predicting.

Also, if the suggested price point is $100, I'll buy a crate of them.

I'm guessing $199-$249, and probably nearer ther latter.

If its truly as advertised $100 would be WAY underpriced.

Call me an optimist, but I'm saying now, this is going to be a serious piece of sound engineering.

If its all it's cracked up to be, I'll put one in my McPherson, which comes with Baggs. But my 812 will stay as is.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification