The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-10-2010, 08:26 AM

Default New Mac

I just bought a 27Inch imac a couple of nights ago. I am so excited, I have wanted a studio since I can remember. Ordering an interface today, and some mics, and maybe a midi controller. Any recommendations on an interface that is in the 100 - 200 dollar range? Is usb 2.0 fine for just recording guitar and vocals? Or should I shoot for FireWire? Thanks for all of the help, as usual.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRVis#1 View Post
I just bought a 27Inch imac a couple of nights ago. I am so excited, I have wanted a studio since I can remember. Ordering an interface today, and some mics, and maybe a midi controller. Any recommendations on an interface that is in the 100 - 200 dollar range? Is usb 2.0 fine for just recording guitar and vocals? Or should I shoot for FireWire? Thanks for all of the help, as usual.
Hi SRVis#1…
USB is fine these days, plenty of speed to record audio...and in your specified price range the Lexicon units are perfect.

Lexicon Lambda - $149 and comes with CubaseLE software. It has separate actual knobs for mixing mic versus 1/4'' inputs (has both) and has decent preamps. 2-XLR, 2-1/4'' in with phantom. Physically dial down latency for monitoring for overdubbing.

It's big brother the Omega for $200 is a more fully decked-out rig. More channels, and even better controls (and full 1/4'' headphone outs). It's worth the extra $50 in my estimation. It can record 4 tracks at once. It's like the Lambda on steroids...

I think they are the sleeper best-bang-for-the-buck input rigs for computer recording at the entry level. They are a Steinberg product...and quality units.

Omega - click

Lambda - click

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Apogee Duet

Aloha,

Spend a bit more money and get the Apogee Duet. The Duet is FULLY integrated for both soft and hardware with your new iMac. They are made for each other.

That's THE way to go. Trust me on this. I studied this for 2-1/2 years before I bought ANY system. I got a new iMac, Logic Pro 9, and Duet last year and most often, don't bother to hook up the much better pre's I have because the Duets sound so great.

You can find them for cheaper, but new Duets are in the $400-500 range. The hassles that you will avoid (compatibility and quality issues) and the quality of the preamps in the Duet make it TOTALLY worth the stretch. There's nothing even close to the Duet for under $1500!

No offense to Larry here who is always helpful and mostly right, but many have found the Lexicon interfaces - especially the Omegas - to have over-heating problems which have led to shortened lives.

Go with the Duet. You can't beat it's value or quality - especially in pairing it with a new, fully integrated iMac.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 04-10-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:29 PM

Congrats on your IMac. I've had mine (21.5" version) for about a month now and have been extremely happy with its performance. My studio desk would not accommodate the 27" IMac.

I would agree with Alohachris on the Apogee Duet. Had I not already had my Echo AudioFire 8, which, by the way, also works seamlessly with the IMac and GarageBand, I would have likely gone with the Duet. Echo also makes a AudioFire 2 and 4 which are in or close to your price range.

Whatever interface you choose, your going to have a blast making music with your IMac! Don't think I could ever go back to a PC after just a month with my Mac.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 04-10-2010, 07:48 PM

I also agree with alohachris . . . get the Apogee Duet. Along with Maestro software it offers seemless integration with your iMAC.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 04-11-2010, 07:46 AM

I'll become the fifth person (if I'm counting correctly this morning) to vouch for the Duet. The preamps on the Duet are pristine compared with anything else in its price range -- and equivalent, imho, with many above. Debate the politics of it all as you will, but Apogee's connection with Apple makes this, and Logic, a no-brainer for most Mac users.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:01 PM

I ended up getting a presonus audiobox for a great price. It has usb and firewire. From the review i have read it should be ok. I had to spend less on an interface because I bought a fishman matrix undersaddle pickup for my mmv.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:10 PM

Even though some of us have gotten good results with USB 2.0, I'd get a FireWire interface. Here is one in your price range:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FRBM5QodZ1cCxQ

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 04-11-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Well I guess what I ordered is on backorder, and I don't want to wait. It is a good thing because the original page said the Presonus was firewire and usb, and I found out after the fact that it was only usb. Has anyone else had expirience with the m-audio fire solo? That is the direction I am thinking of going. The apogee duet is too far out of my price range.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:52 AM

I have the 21.5" imac and its awesome.
I use the tc electronics desktop konnect 6 (firewire)
< $150
and ableton live....
http://www.tcelectronic.com/desktopkonnekt6.asp
Old 04-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I use a 24" Imac and am quite pleased the screen is also killer for digital photos especially anything 7 megs and up

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

While USB is certainly usable . I agree with Herb if you can afford Firewire go for it. And I also agree that with the performance capabilities of your I-Mac an Appogee Duet would be a good match.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-08-2010, 08:41 AM

I am taking a different approach, YMMV.
Yeti USB stereo mic from Blue.
Easy, cost effective.
Likely not quite a clean as the Duet, but it's plug and play with your Mac and sounds fabulous.

David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD