The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Default Small, quality recorders < 200clams

Does anyone have a decent quality personal size music recorder that they can endorse for under 200you-know-whats?

My son has discovered that if he records himself (on a crummy old cassette recorder) and listens to the playback it helps him improve his playing.

A birthday is coming up for him and it would make a good gift.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Several members are happy with the Zoom H2. (I have the Zoom H4 which is just over your price limit.)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tal_Audio.html
Old 04-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Tascam DP-004. 4-track multitrack recorder, about $150.

You could get the DR-07 for a few bucks less, but he will find multitracking much more fun.

New Yamaha FGX5 (love it!)
Vintage Yamahas: FG-1500 * FG-2500 * FG-500 (3) * FG-550 (2)
Modified FG-630 (Rickenbacker stringing)
Newish Stratocaster * Rickenbacker 660-12
Gibson EB-0 Bass * Vagabond travel guitar
Yamaha Classical (I forget which!)
Old 04-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Default Digital Recorders

Here are a couple of options:

Boss Micro - about $200.00

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productde...?ProductId=818

If your son has an iPod - here is a cool device - Belkin TuneStudio
also under $200.00

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...RWXGB&ZYXSEM=0
Old 04-08-2010, 09:14 AM

I have a Zoom H2 and I'm thrilled with it. Very easy to use, and pristine audio quality. It can't be used to multitrack; that requires a different device. However, for recording practice or performances, it is excellent.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpunch View Post
Tascam DP-004. 4-track multitrack recorder, about $150.

You could get the DR-07 for a few bucks less, but he will find multitracking much more fun.
Good, but requires mic purchase as well. I'd go with the Tascam DR-1. Small, reliable and quite easy to use. Interface could use some work, but it's not difficult to learn by any means.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
Good, but requires mic purchase as well.
In fact, both the DP004 and DR07 have built-in microphones, and can also use external microphones.

I'd strongly recommend the DP004, multitracking is lots of fun.

http://www.tascam.com/products/dp-004.html

New Yamaha FGX5 (love it!)
Vintage Yamahas: FG-1500 * FG-2500 * FG-500 (3) * FG-550 (2)
Modified FG-630 (Rickenbacker stringing)
Newish Stratocaster * Rickenbacker 660-12
Gibson EB-0 Bass * Vagabond travel guitar
Yamaha Classical (I forget which!)
Old 04-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Thank you all for your input.
Those are all great!

I think dad needs one, too. Don't you?

Last edited by MisterZeus; 04-08-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 PM

I think it was mentioned already, but I have one of the Boss MicroBR units which I like a lot. The interface is a little opaque at first, but it begins to make sense pretty quickly. It has a built in mic (which is really pretty good), does 4 tracks (with lots of bounce tracks), and has tons of effects, drum tracks, etc.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
I have a Zoom H2 and I'm thrilled with it. Very easy to use, and pristine audio quality. It can't be used to multitrack; that requires a different device. However, for recording practice or performances, it is excellent.
When connected to a computer running DAW software, the Zoom H2 can be used for multitrack records.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM

Zoom H2......best bang for the buck around.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 PM

I love my zoom H2, I bought a 4MB SD card for it and get hours of recording time, plus the controls are easy to use. I haven't integrated it into a mic for recording on the computer yet, but love the fact that it can. Works with two AA batteries as well.

Keeping GAS in check:
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got
Sheryl Crow & Jeff Trott-Soak Up The Sun
Old 04-27-2010, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

I want to chime in about the Micro BR too. I have both the Micro BR and the Olympus LS-10. the LS-10 is a fine device - the batteries last a long time, it is extremely well built, and is of high quality and easy to use - and doubles as my MP3 player at work.

The Micro BR has an "MP3 trainer" section that (in my opinion) is second to none - even rivaling software-base slow-down software. For me, the Micro BR is the ultimate guitar learning device. Rather than treating it specifically as a feature-packed 4 track recorder (as has already been well covered here), I use it for my daily practice. I have several SD cards, each with a CD's worth of tunes on it that I want to learn in MP3 format. That typically leaves about 850 - 900 MB free to record myself. The MP3 trainer has the typical A/B looping, but it does a VERY CLEAR job of slowing down the recording to as much as 25% of the original playback speed without changing pitch. Most portable devices that do slow-down only go down to 50% and often tend to get muddy at that rate.

I can learn a tune from the MP3 and then right away record my practice of it so I can hear my progress as I work through the tune, comparing it to the recording. I don't see this discussed much at all, but when looked at from this perspective, I would venture to say that every guitarist would want to have one of these babies in their arsenal. It makes for a very simple setup.

Also, I noticed that the OP lists a CA Guitars Cargo among his guitars (maybe his son plays one sometimes?). Anyway, that is what I play all the time. Mine has the K & K Pure Western Mini pickups in it instead of the factory electronics. The Micro BR has a 1 meg ohm input impedance, so I can directly plug in my Cargo and it sounds great. Further, I can use any of the input effects (I use the clean and JC120 models) to make it easier to hear my guitar against the MP3. This is as simple a learning tool as you will find. I found the Micro BR VERY easy to use and understand and rarely (if ever) have had to go to the manual at all. Also, if you don't want to mess with a guitar cable, you can use the built-in mic for hearing your acoustic guitar when learning from recordings - I have done that successfully on several occasions when there was little background noise in the room. Both the plug-in and the mic inputs provide input effects that work very well for acoustic guitar. This Micro BR is very flexible that way.

Most people think of the Micro BR as an extremely portable feature-laden 4 track recorder, which it really is - and that is how it is marketed. But I have found that looking at it as a learning tool makes it a whole different product altogether - and it is the best there is at that, where as a 4 track recorder, there are better ones around (or at least as good) - such as the BR-600 or any of the Tascam products discussed in this thread. All these products sound good today, so you can't go wrong with any of them. But NONE of them is the learning device that this one is - that sets the Micro BR apart from the crowd. This is true whether you play acoustic or electric (or both).

These things are inexpensive enough that you could buy one for your son - and one for yourself. :

Tony
Old 04-27-2010, 10:04 AM

Zoom H2,
I love mine.
It is to recording like a point and shoot camera is to photography.
and recording capacity can be increased with sd memory cards.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

The Zoom H series seems to do very well for a lot of people. Consistently high reviews, probably best overall "bang for the buck", and the recordings I have heard as posted in forums sound extremely good. Though I don't own one (because I already have the Olympus LS-10), if I were looking today - that Zoom would be at the top of my list.

What the Micro BR brings to the table is the learning aspect that I posted about - but for straight recording, the Zoom is an excellent choice.

Tony

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD