The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I had not heard that song either. Sure sounds like a classic Gordon Lightfoot song in both feel and cadence. I never tire of his songs. You did a wonderful job with it, Glenn. Your singing and playing really captures the longing that is a constant undercurrent in his songs. Thanks for posting!

Best,
Jayne
Thank you Jayne!

It's great to hear from you. Thank you for listening and taking the time to comment -- it's greatly appreciated! It's good to know you thought this came out okay!

It does seem to have the characteristic Lightfoot sound, doesn't it? Really, it's amazing how many songs he has written.

Thanks so much Jayne!

- Glenn
Old 07-25-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
As I said in another thread in passing, you're leading me to re-assess Gordon Lightfoot with this series of very nice versions of some of his lesser-known songs. Odd that it taken your performances, and so long (on my part) for that, as throughout my long life there's always been Gordon Lightfoot songs, going back to the mid-20th century "folk scare."

By now I'm expecting your vocals to satisfy every time, but this time I was paying attention to the lovely guitar accompaniment too.
Thank you Frank!

I really appreciate the detailed listening that you do!

I did see your comment on that thread in the General section of the AGF on YouTube channels. I was very flattered to read your comment on my Gordon Lightfoot covers and I was most appreciative. If my versions of Lightfoot songs makes you want to reassess these songs for your repertoire, then that is wonderful.

I'm sure that both of us would agree that not every song which Gordon Lightfoot wrote and performed is worthy of a lot of attention, but he does have a lot of good songs spread out over his years that are well worth learning. I think I have 16 Lightfoot covers on my YouTube channel out of 142 total songs on the channel. That's 11% GL covers, which I suppose is a high percentage considering that I like a lot of different artists' music. I think I have covered more Lightfoot songs than any other musician. His vocal range is right where mine is (or vice versa), so that helps. And truth be told, I like his stuff. He can be a very poetic writer, as this "Restless" song shows.

I wish I understood what he was trying to do with that second verse in this song, though. The reference to "The Young and the Restless" seems really offhand to me. I don't know if he was being really deep and he is just way over my head or if he was just trying to be funny. Oh well...

Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments Frank! It's always great to hear from you!

- Glenn

PS: In case anyone is interested, here are the lyrics and chords from Gordon Lightfoot's website:

Restless (A/B)

There's a (A) kind of a restless feeling and it (G) pulls me from within
It (A) sets my senses reeling and my (G) wheels begin to (A) spin
In the (D) quietude of winter you can (C) hear the wild geese cry
And (A) I will always love that sound un(G)til the day I (Em) die

There's a (A) plain and a simple answer to (G) each and every quest
From (A) every quiet dancer who might (G) be a special (A) guest
In a (D) movie made for TV or a (C) late night interview
(A) You might even find them on the (G) Young and the Restless (A) too

Do you get that restless feeling when you (D) hear a whistle blast
Like an (Am) echo from the past
Of an (A) old engine (A/G) flying down a (D/F#) road that's (G) iron (A) cast

(A7+) (A7) (G#7+/A) (G#7/A) (G7+/A) (Dm6+/A) (Dm6/A) (Asus4) (A) (G) (A)

The lake is blue, the sky is gray and the leaves have turned to gold
The wild goose will be on her way, the weather's much too cold
When the muskie and the old trout too have all gone down to rest
We will be returning to the things that we do best

Do you get that restless yearning when you think about your dad
And the scrimshaw that he had
Of an old schooner roving 'neath a sky that's ironclad

There's a kind of a restless feeling and it catches you off guard
As we gaze off in the distance through the trees in my back yard
I can feel the restless yearning of those geese as off they roam
Then trade that for a warm bed and a place I can call home

Will you get that restless yearning when you hear the wicked blast
Of a spectre from the past
Of a cold diesel rolling down a road that's built to last
Still I get that restless feeling when I hear a whistle blast
See an image from the past
Of an old schooner flying down a sky that's overcast
Old 07-27-2019, 03:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Glenn,

I also am not familiar with this one. But I sure like it now! Your fingerpicking technique is so clean, and great vocals as always. I enjoyed this!
Old 07-27-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Hi Glenn,

I also am not familiar with this one. But I sure like it now! Your fingerpicking technique is so clean, and great vocals as always. I enjoyed this!
Hi Larry!

It's terrific to hear from you! Thanks so much for watching a performance of a song you didn't even know! I'm glad you liked it!

I hope all is well for you! I am doing great! As a physical therapist, you may be interested to know that I am glad I had both of my hip joints replaced a little over a year ago for the last one. It has made such a difference in allowing me to work outdoors and do the activities I really enjoy doing!

- Glenn
Old 07-27-2019, 03:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Larry!

It's terrific to hear from you! Thanks so much for watching a performance of a song you didn't even know! I'm glad you liked it!

I hope all is well for you! I am doing great! As a physical therapist, you may be interested to know that I am glad I had both of my hip joints replaced a little over a year ago for the last one. It has made such a difference in allowing me to work outdoors and do the activities I really enjoy doing!

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn, all is good here. I took a little break from the AGF for awhile, back at it now. Great news about your hips - we’re so fortunate to live in a time when these surgeries are available. They can truly make a profound difference in the quality of life. Glad yours have worked out so well!
Old 07-28-2019, 03:11 AM
Charter Member

Wonderful job, Glenn! That's a really nice tune and one I'm not familiar with. Thanks for the introduction. Very nicely played and I really like the background photos.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Wonderful job, Glenn! That's a really nice tune and one I'm not familiar with. Thanks for the introduction. Very nicely played and I really like the background photos.
Hi Kerbie!

Very nice to see your comments! Thank you! I'm glad you thought this came out okay and that you approve of the background images!

I hope you are doing well! You take care!

- Glenn
Old 07-28-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Thank you Frank!

I really appreciate the detailed listening that you do!

I did see your comment on that thread in the General section of the AGF on YouTube channels. I was very flattered to read your comment on my Gordon Lightfoot covers and I was most appreciative. If my versions of Lightfoot songs makes you want to reassess these songs for your repertoire, then that is wonderful.

I'm sure that both of us would agree that not every song which Gordon Lightfoot wrote and performed is worthy of a lot of attention, but he does have a lot of good songs spread out over his years that are well worth learning. I think I have 16 Lightfoot covers on my YouTube channel out of 142 total songs on the channel. That's 11% GL covers, which I suppose is a high percentage considering that I like a lot of different artists' music. I think I have covered more Lightfoot songs than any other musician. His vocal range is right where mine is (or vice versa), so that helps. And truth be told, I like his stuff. He can be a very poetic writer, as this "Restless" song shows.

I wish I understood what he was trying to do with that second verse in this song, though. The reference to "The Young and the Restless" seems really offhand to me. I don't know if he was being really deep and he is just way over my head or if he was just trying to be funny. Oh well...

Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments Frank! It's always great to hear from you!

- Glenn

PS: In case anyone is interested, here are the lyrics and chords from Gordon Lightfoot's website:

Restless (A/B)

There's a (A) kind of a restless feeling and it (G) pulls me from within
It (A) sets my senses reeling and my (G) wheels begin to (A) spin
In the (D) quietude of winter you can (C) hear the wild geese cry
And (A) I will always love that sound un(G)til the day I (Em) die

There's a (A) plain and a simple answer to (G) each and every quest
From (A) every quiet dancer who might (G) be a special (A) guest
In a (D) movie made for TV or a (C) late night interview
(A) You might even find them on the (G) Young and the Restless (A) too

Do you get that restless feeling when you (D) hear a whistle blast
Like an (Am) echo from the past
Of an (A) old engine (A/G) flying down a (D/F#) road that's (G) iron (A) cast

(A7+) (A7) (G#7+/A) (G#7/A) (G7+/A) (Dm6+/A) (Dm6/A) (Asus4) (A) (G) (A)

The lake is blue, the sky is gray and the leaves have turned to gold
The wild goose will be on her way, the weather's much too cold
When the muskie and the old trout too have all gone down to rest
We will be returning to the things that we do best

Do you get that restless yearning when you think about your dad
And the scrimshaw that he had
Of an old schooner roving 'neath a sky that's ironclad

There's a kind of a restless feeling and it catches you off guard
As we gaze off in the distance through the trees in my back yard
I can feel the restless yearning of those geese as off they roam
Then trade that for a warm bed and a place I can call home

Will you get that restless yearning when you hear the wicked blast
Of a spectre from the past
Of a cold diesel rolling down a road that's built to last
Still I get that restless feeling when I hear a whistle blast
See an image from the past
Of an old schooner flying down a sky that's overcast
The "Young and the Restless" reference was part of what I liked about GL's song. I'm guessing that he's just referencing the culture broadly, which was a huge trend in 20th century high culture* that he could easily have absorbed intentionally or by osmosis. The incongruity of mixing a soap opera with the age of sail with railroads with guest stars with game fish and geese migrating etc is the core of the lyric for me. They're all restless. Maybe only the natural stuff like the geese are permanent--in species behavior if not in individual lifetimes. Not having heard "Restless" before when I heard the young and restless line I thought of Prince's aside in "Kiss:" "You don't have to watch Dynasty to have an attitude." That song's more flirty than wistful like GL's, but it kind of jolts you out of your expectations.

Songwriters don't consistently do this. A lot of songs, and good ones too, are based on the tactic of a short impression that stays in the scene or single-threaded story. GL's great contemporary Bob Dylan pointed out to songwriters that there are other ways to express things in a lyric, but even today that tactic can still surprise us.

Anyway, thanks again for introducing us to some Gordon Lightfoot "deep cuts".

*I've engaged in a long-term project to perform with music all of T. S. Eliot's "The Waste Land" during succeeding April's. Literary analysists love to footnote all the high-culture quotes and mythological references in it, but there are bits of then current tin-pan alley and barracks ballads scattered in there too. Or besides Dylan, the "Pop Art" of The Sixties....

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 07-28-2019 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell