The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2024, 05:54 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderball View Post
i am by no means an Alvarez expert...but i do own one, a 1990 DY-50 ..Yairi...i have had it since '93...if i were to spec out a guitar to be built, it would have the measurements of this DY-50 neck on it...i just love the neck! Excellent guitar that i just love!
I hope to find a DY-50... always keep my eyes out for new listings!

I agree about the necks on the Yairis. The way they transition up the neck is so comfortable! And they are all hand carved. Amazing.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

So I’m in the honeymoon phase with my MFA66SHB and so far it is in my sweet spot for most everything I wanted in size, sound, playability and looks. Even better than expected. The highs are quite rounded and not to bright, superb mids and a stout but not overbearing bass. The neck is very good and super smooth, though I prefer a bit more roundness. Still, extremely comfortable. I can play for 3 hours with no hand fatigue and want to play more. I know because I did last night. This is a big deal to me. I never really know if I like a guitar until I’ve played it for at least 2-3 hours straight. This one is definitely good to go.

First thing I did was immediately took off the factory strings and put on some D’Addario EXP16 light gauge coated phosphor bronze strings. They sound very warm and decent. After two days and quite a few hours of playing, I think these strings are a good fit for this instrument.

The balance in tone is near perfect, and exactly why I wanted all mahogany in a folk/artist size body with a short (24 13/16”) scale.

The shadowburst with abalone trim is absolutely beautiful. Looks may not be the most important thing, but it doesn’t hurt, and I want my guitars to look good. This one looks great.

Again, I am so impressed with the Alvarez masterworks series. This guitar is entirely different than my MD60, but every bit as glorious.

I don’t see myself changing my mind about it down the road. For $750 it’s a ridiculous guitar. Yeah I’m still in the honeymoon phase, but after so many years and so many guitars I pretty well know if I have a keeper. This one stays.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
Thanks. I only ask because I want to know what to look for on mine, and to be sure it isn’t happening here. Mine looks perfect, and I’ve had it for 4 years, so hopefully I got a good one.

My MD60 has opened up and only gotten better over time. The thing is a cannon.
Oh, yeah, if you haven't noticed it by now, you are good to go. I just know that one day I am gonna open up the case, and the top is gonna look like a ski slope.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion