The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-14-2020, 03:23 PM

Default Saddle sander

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Skidproof-G....c100005.m1851

Do you know if this is good enough to get me a flat bottom on my new saddle?
Old 06-14-2020, 03:37 PM

I like the idea of it, but it appears there are limitations on the design, specifically, the length of nut or saddle it can accommodate.

Amazon has a few reviews of it: https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Saddle...ustomerReviews

For $13, it's worth a try - they won't ship it to Canada, where I am.

However, these guys will, cheaper, too: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3289...8cb1c97091e-36

There are very simply, inexpensive ways to make the bottom of a saddle flat and square. If you are interested, we can discuss some of those.

Steve (mirwa) makes nuts and saddles day-in and day-out and has stated that if one is going to do that, the Stewmac style of nut and saddle sander is an effective addition to one's tools. For occasional nut and saddle making, it isn't necessary.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:44 PM

If it can be made with plywood or MDF it’s not worth the cost IMO.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:09 PM

just cozy up the saddle to a length of wood you know is square and the wood will keep the saddle flat. It doesnt take long either.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:15 PM

It's cheap but you get what you pay for often times too. The Stew Mac one which is really pricey looks like a nice tool. But honestly I've been at this close to 30 years now and have used the same piece of MDF with sandpaper glued to it all along. It's really not hard to get a saddle true.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
It's cheap but you get what you pay for often times too. The Stew Mac one which is really pricey looks like a nice tool. But honestly I've been at this close to 30 years now and have used the same piece of MDF with sandpaper glued to it all along. It's really not hard to get a saddle true.
Exactly. All you need is two perfectly flat surfaces that are at a right angle from each other.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent12 View Post
Do you know if this is good enough to get me a flat bottom on my new saddle?
Looks like it would do the job your after, for the price it doesnt hurt.

steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-15-2020, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

I'd be more interested in something that will help me thickness sand the saddle while keeping the sides parallel. I don't have any way to use power tools where I am (too much dust) so I have to do things by hand. I can put a flat bottom on a saddle with no problem. Thickness sanding is something I do very slowly and I use my calipers often.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
I'd be more interested in something that will help me thickness sand the saddle while keeping the sides parallel. I don't have any way to use power tools where I am (too much dust) so I have to do things by hand. I can put a flat bottom on a saddle with no problem. Thickness sanding is something I do very slowly and I use my calipers often.
A very simple tool for that is a block of wood. Rout and or chisel out a rectangular shape about the size of a typical saddle blank. Rout the depth of it too roughly half of a typical saddle so say something like 1/16th of an inch or so.

Then you simple place the saddle on some MDF backed sandpaper board then put the tool on top of the saddle so that it fits into the notch and then sand it back and forth. The saddle gets trapped in the notch as you sand back and forth.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:27 PM

You could always make something of your own. Made these from looking at the Stew/Mac metal one in their catalog, ..pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saddle rig0002.jpg (26.4 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg saddle rig0003.jpg (26.2 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg saddle rig0004.jpg (24.3 KB, 199 views)
Old 06-16-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
You could always make something of your own. Made these from looking at the Stew/Mac metal one in their catalog, ..pics
That’s what I’m talking about! The Stewmac stuff is functional and elegant in its design - but it’s also pretty expensive for what it does, which is one thing.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:38 PM

I have that economical (Cheap) saddle sander. It works fine. Must be careful to not press hard while sanding as only heavy Spring pressure is holding the saddle in place. Also one must carefully adjust the wheels to the height the saddle is to be relieved to. Works as advertised. If I was doing more than a couple of saddles a year I would get that nice expensive metal job. I am not and I haven’t.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 06-27-2020, 10:26 PM

Those are nice for setup guys. Me, I have one of those old antique Black and Decker fold up work stand tables with jaws that clamp, and clamp down my old belt sander upside down and it works great.

I don't think any of my guitar tools were made specifically for working on guitars.

Well, because I have always found something in the garage I already had to make do.

Oh, OK! I broke down and bought one of those electric tuner thingies that I use just about every day.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Well, after looking through the pictures of that tool on ebay it appears that I have been working my saddles incorrectly over the years. I have been sanding the bottoms in order to level them when (according to their directions ) I should have been "sandering". LOL

Old 06-28-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
The Stewmac stuff is functional and elegant in its design - but it’s also pretty expensive for what it does, which is one thing.
Stewmac from what i see simply on sell other luthiers tools with their permission of course.

The saddle sander they sell I think is made in italy, it is a quality tool.

I love making tools and like seeing other peoples designs and concepts however for me its all about value for dollar, I turn work away as I have too much on, so it comes down too, how much will I financially loose making the tool myself compared to buying a commercially available version, most times buying the tool is financially more beneficial for me.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair