The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2021, 06:13 PM

Default Help me identify the perfect acoustic

Hi,

I'm continuing on my search for the perfect acoustic guitar (sound familiar?).

I've bought/sold/owned probably 20 acoustics - and I've whittled it down to the following requirements/desires - I'm not big on fancy trim - I can't afford it.

Do you know of a guitar that has the following?

3/4" Nut
Spruce Top
Rosewood Back & Sides
Dreadnought
Short Scale
12 frets

Anyone have any ideas?

I loved my J-45, but it was a HOG.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a custom order to me.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 06-25-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmckenna45 View Post
3/4" Nut
Spruce Top
Rosewood Back & Sides
Dreadnought
Short Scale
12 frets
I always struggle with imperial measurements, but even I know that not many guitars have a nut as narrow as that!
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I've bought/sold/owned probably 20 acoustics - and I've whittled it down to the following requirements/desires - I'm not big on fancy trim - I can't afford it.

3/4" Nut
Spruce Top
Rosewood Back & Sides
Dreadnought
Short Scale
12 frets

Anyone have any ideas?

There is the Gibson J45 Custom Rosewood. Those are fabulous looking and sounding guitars. Worth a look if you loved your J-45.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-25-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Hi,

3/4" Nut
Spruce Top
Rosewood Back & Sides
Dreadnought
Short Scale
12 frets

Anyone have any ideas?

Ok this sounds like a custom shop guitar, Slope J 12 fret dalbergia back and sides, it might be a great combination, I don't think you will find anything like this waiting for you on the wall of guitar center or any store, at least no so easily, so if you have to wait for a custom order I encourage you to talk with Mister Richard Hoover I played a SC guitar once and was the best acoustic I ever played, and SC are one of the best companies to order a really custom guitar, I mean you don't see a Slope J 12 fret with rosewood back and sides every day (this is really different) this guys on Cali knows how to build different stuff. It would sound great, full and powerful, for me will never be my perfect guitar, I love small but deep body guitars, they H13 are my perfect guitar, but it's personal taste. If you want, and this have potential to be your perfect/dream guitar, just do it.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
I always struggle with imperial measurements, but even I know that not many guitars have a nut as narrow as that!
Yes, I prefer 1 11/16' to 1 3/4" ... that 1/16" makes a difference but I don't think I could cope with a whole 1" lopped off!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-25-2021, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

I visited Northern Lights Music in NH recently and played this Bourgeois. Really sweet guitar!! Doesn't check all you boxes but seems to be close to what you describe. Perhaps it'll get you in the ballpark.

https://northernlightsmusic.com/coll...eois-ds-custom

The search is 1/2 the fun !

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:

You just jot down a few specs and end up with a perfect guitar? Is it really that easy? Had no idea.

If I had to have rosewood, I'd ask Santa Cruz Guitar Company to make me a D-12 with rosewood B/S. But this is totally irrelevant to your search.

Hope you find the mystical "one".
Old 06-26-2021, 12:12 AM

I'm kind of in the same boat as OP here. 1.75" nut, 2.25" spacing, spruce/rosewood, short scale. I can live without 12 fret and a big body, so I have an Eastman e20-OM (24.9" scale), which is a bit of a compromise but a nice instrument to play.

However, I do often wish that it had the bass of a larger guitar. Sadly, I can't find anything that fits that bill, short of a custom order. All the big guitars are 25.5 scale, or if they're shorter scale, they have a 1.68" nut.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
I'm kind of in the same boat as OP here. 1.75" nut, 2.25" spacing, spruce/rosewood, short scale. I can live without 12 fret and a big body, so I have an Eastman e20-OM (24.9" scale), which is a bit of a compromise but a nice instrument to play.

However, I do often wish that it had the bass of a larger guitar. Sadly, I can't find anything that fits that bill, short of a custom order. All the big guitars are 25.5 scale, or if they're shorter scale, they have a 1.68" nut.
Same specs here, the hunt continues. It used to be that it was harder to find 1.75" nut width, now that spec is very common but builders like Martin are tightening up their string spacing at the saddle. Frustrating. I'm on the hunt for a new guitar with a somewhat limited budget (2k max).
Old 06-26-2021, 07:56 AM

Larrivee 60-SD or 40r-SD has all that you want but the short scale.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Larrivee 60-SD or 40r-SD has all that you want but the short scale.
That was my thought as well except for the scale length.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:26 AM

I need to get my $.02 in here. I am fortunate enough to own two custom guitars built by Dan Roberts of Roberts Stringworks in Belgrade, Montana. An extra short scale Minstrel...bought used, so not custom for me...and a Troubadour, built for me, are both 13 frets, and amazing instruments. He would build exactly what you want, and I can't imagine you being disappointed.
In fact, we did go around between 12, 13 and 14 frets.
Like all high quality customs, you will get what you pay for, and I have found Dan just GRRRREAT to work with, besides being a really nice fellow. The only downside is that is webpage is a little outta date and he may have a long waiting list; it would be best to give him a call.
I have NO financial interest here. We met at the Bozeman airport in 2012 while I was on my to Alaska and he was heading south to do some work with mandolin builder Tom Ellis....my Collings A case in hand started the conversation. I had pretty much given up playing guitar at that point and was pretty much
mando-centic at the time.
Well, never say never, and little did I ever imagine I would spend so much time in his workshop and now so much time behind his guitars.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

If I desired such a guitar I would custom spec out a Kopp K-35….
Old 06-26-2021, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
I visited Northern Lights Music in NH recently and played this Bourgeois. Really sweet guitar!! Doesn't check all you boxes but seems to be close to what you describe. Perhaps it'll get you in the ballpark.

https://northernlightsmusic.com/coll...eois-ds-custom

The search is 1/2 the fun !

Good luck!
i'm not into dreads, or 12 frets, or slot heads. had a few of all mentioned. but my goodness there is something dynamic looking about this guitar. i think i could get around all my previous "not into's".

d

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
j-45