The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2021, 08:49 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

I had to reset the bridge on my D55. It was 17 years old, though.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Robin, no manufacturer is without issues. Look up the numerous threads on “binding issues” with Martin guitars as just one for instance.
There was a post on here a few years back where a very expensive custom guitar had misaligned drilling of tuner holes. That guitar cost a lot more than the aforementioned Gibson.
How about recalls on automobiles? You would think that after a century of building them they could get it right.
If you suppose otherwise, you are being unrealistic.
No offense intended and I certainly would contact Gibson, but stuff happens.
No offence taken; you make a valid point.

What would concern me as a manufacturer is that this is not a one off. We have had 3 recent posts here on AGF where the bridge has lifted on a new Gibson. And that's a high strike rate in a small pool.

I think that if I worked at Gibson that I would want to know what's going on. The issue is either going to be the bridge itself (perhaps young unseasoned oily wood, or not sanded correctly etc), the glue not matching the materials or task, or the method of fixing during production. Or perhaps a combination of factors. Anyway, you would hope that this aspect of the production was being red flagged. And hopefully Gibson are on top of the issue already.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 06-01-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:55 AM

Too bad!

I'm curious, does a lifting bridge affect tone, less bass maybe? Or is it purely a structural problem?
Old 06-01-2021, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld View Post
Too bad!

I'm curious, does a lifting bridge affect tone, less bass maybe? Or is it purely a structural problem?
I can only speak from my own experience of one bridge lifting significantly on a guitar. That guitar lost some volume and got really thin and janlgy in the trebles. Didn’t notice much in the bass other than generally decreased resonance.

It’s a huge structural concern since 150lbs of constant string pulling on the joint could cause the bridge to lift further and damage the top underneath.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
I had to reset the bridge on my D55. It was 17 years old, though.

I had to do the same for my Guild, too. That was two years ago and it has worked great since. I used the rig that clamps with screws through the bridge pin holes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bridge lifting, gibson, lg-2