The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2016, 12:42 PM

Another consideration is that if one of these guitars arrives with a structural defect like a faulty neck angle, a repair is going to be relatively simple, quick and cheap on the Taylor, but complex, long-drawn out and expensive with the Martin.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:22 PM

Martin or Taylor? Taylor.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:52 AM

My perception of the Martin vs Taylor debate has changed significantly over the years. I grew up Martin, Martin, and more Martin. My father in law and I played in a Southern Gospel group and he played a D28. Loved that guitar. I always used a Seagull S6 until I got the money for a sub $1000 guitar. I bought a Taylor 214ce because I wanted to be different.

The Taylor was subdued, bright, and timid compared to my father in law's D28. I became frustrated that I couldn't be heard when playing around him on stage. I returned the Taylor and bought a Martin D1. I was happy for a while but hated the feel and the whole dreadnought thing. That's when I realized that since I was more of a fingerstyle player I sounded better on a Taylor GA style guitar and decided I would play more fingerstyle to complement my father in law's playing rather than compete with a 20 year old D28.

I bought a Taylor 414ce last year and kept it about a year before the Martin fever came back. Sold the Taylor and ordered a Martin GPCPA1. I thought for sure that the Martin turned Taylor avenue was the perfect solution. Then, I played an 814ce for the first time a few weeks ago. Now, I KNOW what my guitar should have been all along!

There is more clarity, bass, and punch from the new Taylor 814ce guitars than I've heard before....LOVE THAT GUITAR!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 AM

Go for BOTH. You can't go wrong. That way, you have the normal tone palate of guitars covered. That is what I decided years ago. No reason for the wars--they are both fantastic guitar brands, with extremely high quality control, and consistently fine instruments. They are the only two brands that I have been willing to buy without playing, as I know what to expect from BOTH of them.
Martin D-35 1995
Martin 000-28EC, with K&K pure 2013
Taylor 614CE 2005
La Patrie Collection, QT1

Old 05-23-2016, 01:31 PM

Both! definitely!
Old 06-01-2016, 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=martingitdave;4943122] The Taylor is a great balanced guitar and plays very well. "However, it is layered rosewood back and sides". Also the ES2 is a much better pickup than the basic model on the Martin. The resale value on the Taylor will be much higher. The tone is the biggest difference.

All Taylor guitar series starting at the Model 300 and up will all be solid wood back and sides, not layered.
The only layered back and sides come on the 200 and below series

Hope this helps

2017 Taylor 414 SE rosewood

2020 Taylor 412e -R

2021 Breedlove Performer Concert CE ..
all solid woods mahogany with torrified spruce top

Roland Cube EX acoustic amp...battery powered
Old 06-01-2016, 01:41 PM

One of my friends ponied up for the John Renbourn Martin and it very shortly developed some sort of neck angle problem. It pains me to see this guitar with 1/2" of saddle sticking out the bridge to keep it from buzzing on the frets. Why he doesn't send it back is beyond me, but it's not going to bid well for the long-term health of this guitar.

I've tried to not say anything negative about the saddle height, but I'm glad it's not my guitar. For 4K I wouldn't think it could go south in less than a year.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:06 PM

Ford or chevy?
Old 06-01-2016, 02:15 PM

I like both, but prefer to own a Taylor. I think a Martin in the right hands is one of the best guitar tones out there, but they aren't for me and I've tried over and over again. Taylor guitars suit my style and sound nonetheless great.

By the way, anyone who says they think one sounds better than the other really just mean they prefer one to the other. I don't think either sounds better or worse.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:32 PM

This question should be the FIRST step of buying, not the last. Martin and Taylor are on very different ends of the tonal spectrum. Most guitar players I know, myself included, prefer one or the other, but not both. Both are great guitars, just very different. If you can't try them, I suggest watching as many YouTube videos as you can find to get at least a rough idea of how they sound in comparison.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-01-2016, 02:40 PM

You are asking my opinion, so here goes.. I prefer the fullness or bass response of Martin guitars. I've had several Taylors and liked them, but I LOVE Martins!!

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
214ce, drsgt, martim, taylor