The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-18-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Thanks for the advice. I do really like the guitar so I may take it and get a quote. But just out of curiosity has anyone ever used Stew-Mac’s nitro touch up pens? It seems like a perfect application for these small areas. I’m assuming you can apply the nitro and sand or polish once you have enough coats to sand it down level with the original finish?
$10 Deft nitro aerosol at Home Depot, I did a whole banjo with a can of this 40 years ago, still looks good. I think the pens are for small dings and scratches.

You should be able to reglue your binding with super glue.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Deft-1-A...1013/100204936
Old 06-19-2022, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all. I super glued the binding back in place and used a nitro pen that I had already and it did successfully cover the area so it is now sealed. Not too pretty but I think it’ll work until I find someone who can refinish the entire guitar, if it’s affordable.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I do really like the guitar so I may take it and get a quote. But just out of curiosity has anyone ever used Stew-Mac’s nitro touch up pens? It seems like a perfect application for these small areas. I’m assuming you can apply the nitro and sand or polish once you have enough coats to sand it down level with the original finish?
Yes to all the above. You can finish the process with either a polishing compound or wet sanding with ultrafine paper. Stewmac sells both.

I havent used their touch up pens, but that may be a way to avoid waste.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-21-2022, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks all. I super glued the binding back in place and used a nitro pen that I had already and it did successfully cover the area so it is now sealed. Not too pretty but I think it’ll work until I find someone who can refinish the entire guitar, if it’s affordable.
Entire refinishing is typically not warranted or required, the beauty of nitro is its ability to blend seamlessly into the existing finish to create an invisible repair.

I do binding repairs under warranty for Martin guitars on a regular basis, finish work is always required and achieved just doing a localised repair.

For future reference, if you superglue binding on, the binding should be lifted first away from the guitar and then both surfaces scraped of the old glue before regluing, I also dont like superglue for binding but prefer duco cement
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-21-2022, 03:32 AM

Not sure if this photo will come up,

Its one I did a while back and from my facebook page

This is a localised nitro repair after of course the physical repair, the nitro repair area blended seamlessly with the original finish

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 06-21-2022 at 04:01 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair