The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2021, 04:37 PM

Default OM-28 vs Taylor Neck feel

Hey, sorry if this have been asked before i'm new here...

I am returning my Taylor 214-ce and buying a OM-28.
The neck on the Taylor is to big for my hands to reach around it in a comfortable way.
My question is : If you have tried both taylor and the Martin OM-28 Reimagined, how do you feel about the necks? Is the Martin easier to wrap your hand around or is it the same?
Old 01-13-2021, 04:49 PM

I have owned the Taylor and played the Martin. The om-28 is a way nicer guitar (214 is no slouch for the price however), but has a 1 and 3/4” nut , whereas the Taylor is narrower at 1 and 11/16”. I’m not sure about neck profile/thickness, but I imagine if the 214 was hard to play, the Martin may be more so. But I’m not sure why that would be the case- do you have particularly small hands?
Old 01-13-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
I have owned the Taylor and played the Martin. The om-28 is a way nicer guitar (214 is no slouch for the price however), but has a 1 and 3/4” nut , whereas the Taylor is narrower at 1 and 11/16”. I’m not sure about neck profile/thickness, but I imagine if the 214 was hard to play, the Martin may be more so. But I’m not sure why that would be the case- do you have particularly small hands?
Thanks for the answer.
Ah sucks to hear. I didn't like the taylor because the body was a bit to big and I dont have the best back, that's why the OM28 with the smaller body intrigued me. I think I might have normal sized hands and it's not impossible to play the Taylor it's just hurts a bit more compared to my takamine p3ny.
Argh now I'm not sure what to do...
(I use the thumb a lot when I play so thicker necks is a bit hard to play for me )
Old 01-13-2021, 05:15 PM

Just to clarify, the Taylor I'm returning is a 214ce dlx sunburst (if it makes a difference).
Also sorry if my English sucks. Heh 😅
Old 01-13-2021, 05:37 PM

Your English is great! Hopefully someone else can add more info for you regarding the neck profile, as I’m unsure about that. I guess if you’re fretting with your thumb a lot, it could be harder to reach around than it is for most people.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:56 PM

Zyne,

The Taylor neck is most likely at bit thicker at the first fret than this Martin. As mentioned, the Martin will have a wider nut width of 1.75" in this comparison and the actual shapes are different though not easy to describe. Also, the Martin with MLO neck profile and high performance taper will only be 2 1/8" wide at the 12 fret, which is typical of 1.69" nut guitars. This results in the bridge string spacing being pretty close for both of these models.

I usually prefer 1.69" nut guitars with thinner necks, but the neck shape/thickness is more crucial to me. I can play some 1.75 nut width guitars but medium to fuller necks become fairly uncomfortable on either nut width. If the Taylor is too thick or not the right shape for you, you might like the Martin neck since it is a different shape and fairly thin for a wider nut.

Hopefully, you can audition a few. If you find that you want 1.69" guitars and thin necks, you selections become a bit limited these days. There is fairly good representation in dreads but choices narrow if looking at smaller body models and/or certain woods/features.

Some nice guitars you are looking into. Hope you find a comfortable one.

Best,

Mac

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
214ce, martin, neck, om28, taylor