The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSE View Post
Before I bought my J45 custom I'd seen all sorts of posts about changing the tuners, some because of accuracy and appearance, but a lot of folks had weight issues with the headstock.

Now I have a 45 and the weight issue for me anyway was non-existent, I honestly don't know why people have a problem with it. My 45 is as light as a feather.

I'm certainly not knocking folks who have changed the tuners on 45's and its only my humble opinion but can the folks who've changed them because of weight really tell the difference.

In an imaginary blind test, someone passes you two 45's, one has new tuners and one has the originals, could you tell the difference? Not sure I could.
Well, the weight of the Grovers may not bother everyone. That said, comparing the Grovers to the Waverlies, there's over a 1/2 pound difference, and it's way out at the end of the headstock. Hang a 1/2 pound weight off the end of your headstock, and see if you notice it. It is not a subtle difference... the guitar is much less neck-heavy.

Someone could argue that it also may change the tone of the guitar, and I would buy that argument. However, I didn't notice any tonal change when I completed the conversion.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 05-22-2015, 05:07 PM

Theoretically, the Grovers should add more mass to your guitar's headstock along with the extra weight, thereby increasing your guitar's sustain... but I haven't ever done an A, B comparison to test that out.
I still say that where tuners are concerned, functionality should trump fashionability -- but that's just how I am.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Theoretically, the Grovers should add more mass to your guitar's headstock along with the extra weight, thereby increasing your guitar's sustain... but I haven't ever done an A, B comparison to test that out.
I still say that where tuners are concerned, functionality should trump fashionability -- but that's just how I am.
Theoretically, adding mass doesn't increase sustain. It lowers the resonant frequency of the neck. And not to split hairs, but lightening the headstock has nothing to do with fashion.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 05-23-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
Theoretically, adding mass doesn't increase sustain. It lowers the resonant frequency of the neck. And not to split hairs, but lightening the headstock has nothing to do with fashion.
I always found the difference in weight to be so marginal as to be unnoticeable, but I'm aware some people feel differently. Again, I repeat, the ultimate test of your tuners should be how well they work, not what is fashionable in appearance.
But everyone had their own tastes.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:22 PM

Default Gotoh Tuners

Are Gotoh Vintage Deluxe 3-on-Plate Tuners any good? I bought a 2016 Limited Edition Mahogany J45 that has open back 3 on a bar tuners, I really only have about 6 months of use out of the guitar and the A and D tuners have free spin between tightening and loosening while tuning. Anyway I bought the pro warranty and GC is replacing the tuners, I'm not caring too much if holes need to be drilled for screws because the Bar should cover everything. I liked the open back look but Gibson only made 75 of these guitars and are saying they don't have any replacement tuners that are the same.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson, j-45, tuners