The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-29-2021, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Default Ebay Troll!

I've been selling a few things lately on Ebay, and have never previously had any problems. Recently I "sold" an item for a little over $200 (received several bids), and the same winning bidder "bought" another item for about $160. Afterwards he messaged me to ask for an extension on the due payment, claiming to be a disabled vet on a fixed income, and that the items were things he was looking for for many years (CD Box Sets). i initially said no, and he messaged me back essentially begging, and stating that he bought both items--he promised that he got a check at the first of the month and that he would pay immediately. We had several exchanges and I reluctantly agreed to give him a couple of weeks.

Well, of course he didn't pay, and went silent when I tried to message him--despite sending numerous messages. So I cancelled the items and relisted them. Before I had a chance to "block" him he bid on one of the items again. I called Ebay to report it and they acknowledged that this buyer has been an "abusive buyer" and they walked me through blocking him. Unfortunately I had to let his bid ride for the duration of the auction--which he won, and I had to allow him the 4 days to pay--or else I would have a mark against me!
So I rode it out, and of course he didn't pay on time. I then cancelled the item and relisted it again (knowing that he is now blocked from bidding on my items). And you guessed it--he's been messaging me stating that he needed an extension with the same disabled vet rap. I didn't respond (which Ebay suggested), and he's messaged me since asking for a yes or no answer to the extension, complaining that I cancelled the sale, and that he thought we were going to work things out. I have not, nor will I respond to any more of his messages, but unfortunately his bidding and messaging prior to being blocked kept that line of communication open to him. I'm hoping Ebay boots him off the system soon! (by the way he has 2 accounts apparently, and somehow manages to show 100% feedback--which he highlights in his requests for extensions).
So my question is--what is this guys motivation for messing with me? Is it just for sport--i.e. because he "can"? Is there some kind of methodology to him trying to get personal info? Or otherwise?
Any similar experiences?

Last edited by Stringmaster; 07-29-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:21 AM
Guest 928

Thank you for the report. I don't know what to think about your situation and the character you've been dealing with--It seems like you've been accommodating and getting the shaft. Not good.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

This is the third or fourth time recently where I've heard about buyers playing the disabled veteran card for some sort of discompensation.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 07-29-2021, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

So eBay reports that this is a regular thing with this person. It sounds like he may have an emotional "challenge". If he is a vet, perhaps some trauma suffered in the past, playing out now.

The behavior comes across to me as seeking attention, and then some form of accommodation.

I would take a breath, silently wish him well, and move on. I suspect he's suffering a bit......

J

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 07-29-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
So eBay reports that this is a regular thing with this person. It sounds like he may have an emotional "challenge". If he is a vet, perhaps some trauma suffered in the past, playing out now.

The behavior comes across to me as seeking attention, and then some form of accommodation.

I would take a breath, silently wish him well, and move on. I suspect he's suffering a bit......

J
This ^.

A person who would do what you have described must be suffering. No normal person would put so much time and energy into the exchanges you have had wih him.

I wouldn’t try to speculate about this guy’s motives…there are many possibilities. It is enough to know that he is unhappy, and is making you (and others) unhappy.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
...So my question is--what is this guys motivation for messing with me? Is it just for sport--i.e. because he "can"? Is there some kind of methodology to him trying to get personal info? Or otherwise?
My guess would be that the culprit is someone who is ineffective in their own life and uses the computer to exercise more control than he is able to do in their own life. I seriously doubt that this person is a veteran, let alone even old enough to enlist in the military. If old enough to enlist serve in the military, I'd bet that he lives in the home where he grew up...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-30-2021, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

String,
I sold stuff on eBay in older days, and it was a great tool. I’d had things rusting in my spare parts drawer that matched up with buyers’ needs. I found new homes for a couple under played guitars, even one vintage instrument that I couldn’t sell locally.

But then, a few transactions went south on me. Bidders began ghosting me. I truly became irate when I had “sold” a vintage electric to some clown who had disregarded the note that it couldn’t be shipped across borders (Brazilian fretboard). He drug his feet. I contacted second high bidder, but he or she had bought another already.

Sale canceled. Time wasted. Money lost—if the second highest bidder had won, I’d have made a few Cs.

This was the 3rd time in a year I’d dealt with phony bids. In my family, we are okay with making the same mistake twice. But not thrice. I’d rather stick a guitar in a bin than spin the wheel of chance on EBay again.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-30-2021, 03:34 PM

It happens on forums too! I bought a vintage revolver that had collectable grips that sell for around $400 and I posted a pic of it on a Smith and Wesson forum. 2 "disabled vets" contacted me with the same story, Dad was a cop and they needed these grips so much for his service revolver and they didn't have much money but if I could only,...
Old 07-30-2021, 05:21 PM

I’m not buying the disabled vet story. Sadly, there are just some people who are so miserable with their lot in life, that their only goal is to drag others down with them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic