The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-27-2021, 11:26 AM

Default NA(PA)D LR Baggs Synapse

I am blessed to own many powered speakers, mixers, speaker stands, subs, a Yamaha Stagepas 1K and 600BT, so to say I need another PA system would be far removed from the truth.

Nonetheless, at my outdoor summer gig, I find myself wanting something pole mounted that doesn't require a separate mixer, with terrific sound and 180° dispersion. Another 1 minute setup option, like the Stagepas 1k.

My Stagepas 1k is good, but there are times where I loan it out and am not sure it'll be back for me to use on the days I need it. Also, the Stagepas 1k doesn't have phantom power and I could use it [phantom power] for powering my LR Baggs Para DI as well as my condenser vocal mic [Beta 87a or Neumann KMS105]. I'm glad to see the Synapse has phantom on both XLR channels.

Sweetwater had the LR Baggs Synapse at $700 off the retail price, so I pulled the trigger.

Looking forward to trying it out and putting it through its paces. The spl I could find was 115 - 118 dB which is lower than the DXR10 I've been using [with an MG06X], so we'll see how the Baggs does.

The venue is an outdoor nondenominational church service. I set up in a small chapel in the Woods and parishioners sit from 40' - 150' away or more on lawn chairs or on/in golf carts.

My typical setup is a small mixer [MG06X or MG10XU/F] with either a Yamaha DBR10 or DXR10, on occasion I'll use the 12" MSR400, or the Stagepas 1k. In years past, my wife joined me, but this summer it's been just me.

Any suggestions for getting the most out of the Synapse?

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 07-30-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I am blessed to own many powered speakers, mixers, speaker stands, subs, a Yamaha Stagepas 1K and 600BT, so to say I need another PA system would be far removed from the truth.

Nonetheless, at my outdoor summer gig, I find myself wanting something pole mounted that doesn't require a separate mixer, with terrific sound and 180° dispersion. Another 1 minute setup option, like the Stagepas 1k.

My Stagepas 1k is good, but there are times where I loan it out and am not sure it'll be back for me to use on the days I need it.

Sweetwater had the LR Baggs Synapse at $700 off the retail price, so I pulled the trigger.

Looking forward to trying it out and putting it through its paces. The spl I could find was 115 - 118 dB which is lower than the DXR10 I've been using [with an MG06X], so we'll see how the Baggs does.

The venue is an outdoor nondenominational church service. I set up in a small chapel in the Woods and parishioners sit from 40' - 150' away or more on lawn chairs or on/in golf carts.

My typical setup is a small mixer [MG06X or MG10XU/F] with either a Yamaha DBR10 or DXR10, on occasion I'll use the 12" MSR400, or the Stagepas 1k. In years past, my wife joined me, but this summer it's been just me.

Any suggestions for getting the most out of the Synapse?
I’ll follow this with interest. I’ve looked at the Synapse many times but have never found a workable deal on one as the MSRP is extremely high in the UK. Looks like a terrific rig and am excited to see how you get on with it!
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:45 PM

Following this thread! This Baggs PA looks really nice!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 07-28-2021, 01:02 PM

A potent karaoke PA system it is not. I anxiously unboxed the item expecting the worst due to the condition of the box, but everything is there and intact. I hooked up my Samsung Tab A to it and played back some precorded songs. They sounded very crisp. No complaints about hi fidelity sound. I then hooked up my phone and a Neumann KMS105 and did a few karaoke songs. The big thing I noticed that is a disappointment is that when pushed hard the limiter came on and protects the unit from overloading, which I guess from a longevity perspective is good, but it's got me wondering if this will be enough for my outdoor camp gig. I'll try a guitar and vocal through it later today and report back.

Contrary to marketing claims, the sound dispersion is not uniform distance-wise. 180 dispersion is good. I could hear it very well from directly beside and even from behind.

However, the unit IS considerably louder directly in front than it is from 20 - 30 ft away.

Note: I am trying this with the unit about 4 - 5' high on a speaker stand with the unit in my dining room facing long ways toward the living room.

Stay tuned for more.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:31 PM

Default Excellent at what it's made for!

Once I plugged in an acoustic-electric guitar, I understand what this thing is all about.

First off, using an instrument cable, the pad switch does not work; it has no effect on the input signal. But the eq and reverb all do. My Yamaha FGX730SCA required zero gain to get a good signal...that's with the volume control on the guitar at the 12 o'clock position, or about 50%. With the master volume at 50%, I got extremely good volume levels. I hooked up a Sennheiser e945 and played and sang and now understand that this is not a karaoke PA, but it is a fantastic 2 channel PA for an acoustic-electric guitar and a vocal mic, plus it has phantom power on both XLR channels as well as an aux input jack.

The reverb is pretty intuitive and easy to dial in. I wish there were a remote foot switch to disengage it, as with some Yamaha mixers and the Stagepas models. But that's my only gripe.

I was standing at a 45 degree angle in front of the unit with my back to it and had some very loud volumes going in my house. It tried to feedback, but with some mic blocking, it did not.

Is it worth the price? Well, that's for the end user to decide. Personally, the Bose L1C didn't check enough boxes for me at its price point, but Bose sold many of them and lots of people love them.

In an A-B test, I believe the Stagepas 1k would beat it for bass response and overall sound and usability, but for a quick 1 minute setup for a solo acoustic-electric artist, the Synapse gets the nod.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting your impressions--and please keep them coming as you get more time on it. They are so rare in the wild, and quite different from other options, it's nice to hear about performance and comparisons to more common gear. Would love to hear one against the new Bose L1 Pro's--since they both claim 180 degree dispersion.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:24 AM

I got to use it today at Camp! I used an AKG C5 on channel 1, my LR Baggs Para DI driven pedalboard running off phantom power into channel 2 and the Synapse performed wonderfully. Someone mentioned it shines outdoors. I'll second that. The sound was dispersed evenly across the front of the stage and made it clearly to all the listeners up to 300' away. I was super pleased with the tone of my LLX6A guitar as well as my vocals. I've never heard the C5 sound so articulate. In the past when I've used that particular mic, I'd have to roll off some bass and mix in a little hi end on the eq. All eq settings at 12 o'clock and I was good to go. With the mic relatively close to the Synapse out front and nearly the same height, when I'd step away from the mic and no longer act as a barrier, it did try to feedback but never did. Can't wait to do it again next week maybe with a different mic and guitar.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. You got a great deal.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I got to use it today at Camp! I used an AKG C5 on channel 1, my LR Baggs Para DI driven pedalboard running off phantom power into channel 2 and the Synapse performed wonderfully. Someone mentioned it shines outdoors. I'll second that. The sound was dispersed evenly across the front of the stage and made it clearly to all the listeners up to 300' away. I was super pleased with the tone of my LLX6A guitar as well as my vocals. I've never heard the C5 sound so articulate. In the past when I've used that particular mic, I'd have to roll off some bass and mix in a little hi end on the eq. All eq settings at 12 o'clock and I was good to go. With the mic relatively close to the Synapse out front and nearly the same height, when I'd step away from the mic and no longer act as a barrier, it did try to feedback but never did. Can't wait to do it again next week maybe with a different mic and guitar.
The LR Baggs Synapse is a wonderful-sounding and well-featured appointed portable PA system! I'm glad you're enjoying yours as I do mine.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-14-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:08 PM

Again, used at camp ground out door services. Worked amazingly well with my LR Baggs Para DI - driven acoustic pedal board. This time, I used my Takamine P5DC and the guitar tone was, how can I say, PERFECT!!! It sounded like someone had a half dozen high end condenser and ribbon mics all around the guitar and even one in the soundhole. The Synapse makes acoustic-electric guitars sound the way they sound, just louder.

I do wish I'd tried a different mic this time. AKG C5 again. It worked well but was trying to ring out a little at certain higher end frequencies.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:25 AM

I set the unit up one notch higher on the speaker stand (about 2 ft from the ceiling of the little chapel in the woods building), now over head high. The bass response is incredible. I had to turn down the bass eq on my Yamaha LLX6A. For vocals, I went with a Neumann KMS105. As expected, I had to roll off lots of bass on the vocal mic, otherwise it sounded very boomy. Although, for speech, it could have used some of the bass back. Feedback rejection is really good. The guitar tone, running from the guitar to the Baggs Para DI and through a volume pedal, a reverb and chorus pedals, is ridiculous. The sound coming from the Synapse sounds exactly like my guitar, but louder. No coloration of sound at all when using just the reverb. I was planning on using a different setup this morning, but apparently I left a powered speaker at home. In retrospect, I'm glad I did.

I'm liking the Synapse more and more.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:45 PM

Any chance you have a guitar with an Anthem installed laying around? Lol. I’d like to know how it handles feedback with the synapse at high volume indoors.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
Any chance you have a guitar with an Anthem installed laying around? Lol. I’d like to know how it handles feedback with the synapse at high volume indoors.
Sorry, no. My Yamahas have ART, SRT, and Atmosfeel. The Takamine has their palathetic pickup plus an auxiliary transducer pickup. The Cole Clark has a 3-way system, similar to to Atmosfeel, while my Ibanez has the traditional under saddle piezo, but a special pickup designed for a softer attack.

I suspect there may be a slight tendency to try to feed back. My LLX6A today was cranked up very high and would ring out if I didn't mute the strings. That was with the sound hole plug not installed and I didn't try to dial out any offending frequencies with the notch filter on the PADI. The guitar was about 3 feet away from the Synapse though. Below and directly beside it.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry, no. My Yamahas have ART, SRT, and Atmosfeel. The Takamine has their palathetic pickup plus an auxiliary transducer pickup. The Cole Clark has a 3-way system, similar to to Atmosfeel, while my Ibanez has the traditional under saddle piezo, but a special pickup designed for a softer attack.

I suspect there may be a slight tendency to try to feed back. My LLX6A today was cranked up very high and would ring out if I didn't mute the strings. That was with the sound hole plug not installed and I didn't try to dial out any offending frequencies with the notch filter on the PADI. The guitar was about 3 feet away from the Synapse though. Below and directly beside it.

Thanks! My local shop has a Eastman with an Anthem SL installed, I plan to take the Synapse and check it out. Might pick up the Eastman instead of drilling and gluing the D28 which is what I like to use in the studio anyway. Eastman D10 I think...it’s their version of the D18.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:20 PM

Now running an Eastman E10D with Anthem SL through the Synapse. I feel there’s a lot of potential here...but I’ll be honest the Synapse can be quite woofy. I need to keep some low end in there since it’s just guitar and vocals. I play rock, blues, grunge style playing (lots of strumming) but still trying to keep some warmth and low end without the woof. I’m using D’addario Nickel Bronze 13-56. They are very bright and metallic sounding, good projection but maybe not the best for this guitar. At least for the style I’m playing. The synapse seems to be excellent, but I’m still new with it, have to play around and dial out the woof.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification