The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-26-2021, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
Glenn,
Wonderful rendition of a personal favorite of mine!

I see the apple did not fall far from the tree, as your son is very talented as well!

What a great feeling it must be, to perform as a duo with one’s offspring!

Thank you for sharing, and hope all is well with you, and yours!

Bill
Hi Bill!

Thank you for the kind words!

I'm glad you had some reference for this song and already liked it; I think that helps with the appreciation a little more. And I'm glad you felt we did this song justice!

It was a good feeling to do this with Ian. He grew up with us making music together -- not all the time, but plenty of times -- so it was very cool to do this cover with him. At one time, about 20 years ago now, he was the lead singer in a prog-rock band that was quite successful. But I had forgotten the power he can bring to a rock song like this. It was fun to experience!

Thanks for your encouraging words, Bill! We are all doing well! I hope you are, too!

- Glenn
Old 07-26-2021, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Glenn and Ian! Just awesome. What can be better than playing music with your son...wait...I know...playing music with your son and sounding incredible. Bravo!
Encore!
Hi Larry!

Well, thank you! How nice of you!

It was an experience I will always remember to have done this project with Ian! Just a huge thrill! I'm so glad you feel it came out well, Larry! Thank you for your very kind and supportive words!

I hope all is well for you! Take care!

- Glenn
Old 07-26-2021, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Well, I've never been much of a Bon Jovi fan, but I'm definitely a Glenn and Ian fan. Lotta talent for one family. Wonderfully done!

-Ray
Old 07-26-2021, 10:21 AM

OMG, Glenn, that was incredible!
Did I mention.....that was incredible???

What a great memory to cover this with your son.....your smile is infectious in parts of the track as he belts out his section. I recall his very mild beautiful harmony in "Pooh Corner" some years back with your grand daughter....but this was in a whole different universe. Fantastic.
The 12 string.....crazy good......the harmonies....crazy good.......I'm floored!!!
As Bob stated.....just when you think you've seen the best one....along comes another!!

Wow..........
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 07-26-2021, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Well, I've never been much of a Bon Jovi fan, but I'm definitely a Glenn and Ian fan. Lotta talent for one family. Wonderfully done!

-Ray
Thank you Ray!

You definitely made me smile with your comment, Ray!

Like you, Ray, I never paid attention to Bon Jovi all that much. When 1986 came along, I was very much enmeshed in trying to make a living and raise kids and I wasn't into glam rock.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, RP here on the AGF mentioned a few months ago that "Wanted, Dead or Alive" was a good song to play on a 12-string, so I went to YouTube to look this up. And then I found this acoustic version that I really liked...

So this video gave me some ideas for the cover Ian and I just did here.

Thanks for taking the time to watch this, Ray. And I very much appreciate your kind and supportive comments.

Be well!

- Glenn
Old 07-26-2021, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
OMG, Glenn, that was incredible!
Did I mention.....that was incredible???

What a great memory to cover this with your son.....your smile is infectious in parts of the track as he belts out his section. I recall his very mild beautiful harmony in "Pooh Corner" some years back with your grand daughter....but this was in a whole different universe. Fantastic.
The 12 string.....crazy good......the harmonies....crazy good.......I'm floored!!!
As Bob stated.....just when you think you've seen the best one....along comes another!!

Wow..........
Thank you so much Fred!

I just read your comments out loud to my wife, and she said, "Well! That's suitable for framing!!!"

Thank you very much, Fred, for your very kind and supportive comments.

I know that as an accomplished guitar player in your own right, you can see all that went into the preparations for a project like this. And I really appreciate that you are seeing all this.

I had some of that same thought process about Ian's harmony with me in support of Emma's lead singing on House at Pooh Corner. We were both very laid back in our harmony singing because that's what the song called for.

And I, too, was a little floored at how powerful Ian's singing voice can be. As we were doing this I commented on that, and Ian said, "Well, those notes are right in my wheelhouse..." For me, they are up at the top of my range. For Ian, they are nowhere near the top of his vocal range. So he has a huge amount of power there.

And you have a great Martin 12-string, so you can see the preparation that went into learning that intro on my 12-string. It took me a little while to keep from messing that up!

And yes, I love vocal harmony and so does Ian. What a delight it is to sing with someone that good!

Thanks for taking the time to provide some in-depth comments on this effort, Fred. It's greatly appreciated!

I hope all is well for you and your family! Be well!

- Glenn
Old 07-26-2021, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

That was a joy to watch and listen to. Great playing, great harmonies and fun to watch a father and son duo. Hoping one day my son and daughter and I can team up like this. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

How cool is that?! You made my morning, Glenn! I can see the joy in your face. Also, I can see that talent runs deep in your family - Ian is fantastic! Great and fun rendition of this Bon Jovi tune.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriso77 View Post
That was a joy to watch and listen to. Great playing, great harmonies and fun to watch a father and son duo. Hoping one day my son and daughter and I can team up like this. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Kriso!

I very much appreciate your thoughts and comments!

I hope, too, that you can one day make music with your son or daughter (or both!). It is a joy, just one of those magic moments. I'm so glad I have our performance captured on video, because it is a huge kick in the pants to have been able to do this recording, and now I can come back and watch it again in the future.

Thanks for taking time to watch and comment here! It's greatly appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 07-26-2021, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
How cool is that?! You made my morning, Glenn! I can see the joy in your face. Also, I can see that talent runs deep in your family - Ian is fantastic! Great and fun rendition of this Bon Jovi tune.
Hi Larry!

Well, how nice of you! It is so terrific to hear from you and so wonderful to read that you felt this came out well, Larry! And I love reading that this made your morning! That is fantastic! We all need some sunshine here and there!

Ian is very good, but like every good musician, he has worked hard at it since he was quite young. I can remember him with headphones on, singing with all his might along with Rush or with Dream Theater, while cutting back blackberries on our property when he was 15 years old, learning to sing with his adult voice. Today he is a test engineer during the day and in the evenings he teaches voice lessons and runs an opera workshop program that he started with his wife at the local college. He also runs an internet company from his home to compose music for video games, movies, podcasts, etc. So he has his hands in a lot of different forms of music, and he's a very busy guy.

But I just have to note again, what a thrill it has been to do this project with Ian.

Thank you for your kind and supportive comments. I hope you are doing okay Larry. Take care!

- Glenn
Old 07-26-2021, 11:45 AM

Oh, you're welcome, Glenn! And thanks to your wife for that heart felt reaction.

Wonderful to hear/see House at Pooh Corner once again....just love that one.....and compare/contrast the vocals with what your son put out on Dead or Alive. And, by the way.....do we get to see Emma once again for an encore performance! I know you've mentioned that her music has really gone to new heights since that last clip was made, but it might be harder to coax her to your studio, LOL!.
Enjoy the day....yes, family doing really well here, thank you!!!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 07-26-2021, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Oh, you're welcome, Glenn! And thanks to your wife for that heart felt reaction.

Wonderful to hear/see House at Pooh Corner once again....just love that one.....and compare/contrast the vocals with what your son put out on Dead or Alive. And, by the way.....do we get to see Emma once again for an encore performance! I know you've mentioned that her music has really gone to new heights since that last clip was made, but it might be harder to coax her to your studio, LOL!.
Enjoy the day....yes, family doing really well here, thank you!!!
Fred
Thanks for your response, Fred!

Emma is busy all the time just like Ian is. So when I can put together a video performance with either one of them, it's a major event. Also, they have their own strong interests and so I do not want to impose myself too much on their limited time.

But as you know, whenever we can work on a video performance like this, it's memorable particularly for me.

Glad you and your family are all well there, Fred!

- Glenn
Old 07-26-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi GDJ!

How nice of you to take time to watch this and provide such generous comments! I appreciate the enthusiastic feedback!

It's interesting that you didn't know this song. If I knew it, I had forgotten about it. However, I was reminded of this song by AGF member RP who a few months ago suggested in one of the threads here that this was a great song to do on a 12-string. So, I went and looked the song up on YouTube and thought, I don't care all that much for the rock version, but I really like their acoustic version. So, that started me on this quest to do the song with my son, who I knew had the tenor voice to hit all those high notes with ease.

Thanks so much for your kind words GDJ! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn

You're welcome- the generous? words are the truth as I hear it.

I looked up the chords and lyrics for myself to learn and have you to thank or .......to blame depending on the outcome
Old 07-26-2021, 12:38 PM

Wow. Just saw this one! Another great job, Glenn!

Your recording quality is so nice! And what a cool thing doing this with your son! Sounds great! We get requests for this one regularly, but its just out of my comfort zone vocally. You sound great.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 07-26-2021, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
You're welcome- the generous? words are the truth as I hear it.

I looked up the chords and lyrics for myself to learn and have you to thank or .......to blame depending on the outcome
Thanks for your response GDJ!

If I have started you on a quest to learn this song, then that is very cool!

If you are interested in learning the instrumental intro, this is a good tutorial: https://youtu.be/w6EfHwPoxtI He also goes over the chords for the accompaniment, which is very helpful, I think.

Best of luck to you! Be well!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell