The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-27-2021, 03:28 AM
Charter Member

For acoustic amplification, I've got the guitars and gear for what I consider sounds good amplified. My cure for this acoustic-amplification rabbit hole is to now go down the electric guitars and amps rabbit hole!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-27-2021, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I think you’re misunderstanding the point of the switches - they are not there to adjust anything that might change (from venue to venue, or amp to amp) they are there to tune the pickup to your specific guitar, which isn’t very difficult, and then - you’re done! You will never have to think about it again - unless you shave the braces, sand down the bridge, drill holes in the sides, or take some other extreme action that would change the resonant response of the body of the guitar - all of which I would suggest you do Before installing the pickup -

Before I put a couple in, I shared those thoughts - but since I have them installed and tweaked, I haven’t thought about those switches at all -
No, I understand it's a one-and-done setting. But it's still a PITA to have to redo the stringing. Even so, it's tempting to give it a try.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:32 AM

I'm posting just to get this on my subscription list because I have errands to run while it's still mild outside and I have some questions.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Ive given up on the holy grail
chasing. The sound i get live
is good actually great.
I hear things id like to change
but the audience for the
most part doesnt know
or doesnt care to know the
pains we go thru for sound.
I am my own worse sound
critic. And what i have is good enough.. Will i change it??
More than likely. Thats the
nature of things .
So true. All these extra steps we take for our acoustic tone are just for us and us alone (for gigging musicians). I have done gigs where I was forced to plug my piezo equipped guitar straight into a PA with zero effects or anything else added and these gigs went off as well as any others. But since you are listening to your own sound every night, you do need something you can live with. That's all I want personally. A pleasant sound that I enjoy listening to every night. If that's your "holy grail"...it's easily reached.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:20 AM
Charter Member

When playing acoustic in a stage setting. At first, you're just happy you can hear anything at all.
Remember the wooden Dean Markley sound hole pickups?
Then the piezo ThinLine
Next was the onboard preamp.
It's all great till you hear THAT sound. Call it the quack, the fizz, whatever.
Usually you don't even notice it. Until you record it.
Once you hear it. You can't unhear it.
Then you hear it. Every time.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:56 AM

I obsess more over my playing skills than my live sound - I started the better live-amplified sound back with a Mama Bear Pre-amp - still have it and it still works very well. I got a nice 000-18 w/no pickup and put a Fishman Elipse, downloaded the guitar models for it and it is so easy to dial in and go, it sounds really good, very simple "mic'd" sound with that. I have a 322Ce with the latest Taylor pickup system in it - it also sounds good, I've tried it with the Mama Bear, it has a pleasing result but if I just want to plug in and go the ES2 system gets it done. None of the pickup systems mentioned here will have the audience running for the doors because the guitar sound is "off". I'm just pleased that the tech behind better acoustic amplified sound has improved so very much since the 90's and way before then. We got it good now. Spend the time in the chair and have fun entertaining an audience.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

The ES system will do everything you need it to do. No non guitar nerd will know or care it's not the height of amplified perfection. Play solo, it works, play with a band, likewise. I've heard many, many Taylors. Their owners tend to grab them when playing out. Not their favorite guitar, but their most competent. At the open mic I help run they never sound bad. Always can dial them in quickly if only their owners would set then leave them alone.

There is a lot to be said for all the above.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-01-2021, 07:21 PM

Congratulations to Bart, the OP, for a relatively short, and easy quest for his amplification bliss. Consider yourself fortunate. Many of us too a much longer journey with many more stops along the way. I couldn't even begin to list the number of pickups and preamps I have used... Wait, let me try. This could be fun. (Not Necessarily in Chronological order. There are some I have used, sold and purchased again)

Pickups:
Fishman Matrix UST
Highlander
BBand
LR Baggs Dual Source
LR Baggs Element
Fishman Pro (The barn door in a Taylor)
Fishman Rare Earth Blend
DTAR Multisource
K&K Pure Western
K&K Pure Mini
K&K Triple Source (Can't Remember the name) (mini, Silver Bullet Mic, UST Combo in an internal preamp)
K&K Dual Sourced with an AKG Mic, Crown Mic, DPA 4061
DPA 4099 Mic
Taylor ES
LR Baggs I-Beam
LR Baggs Anthem
LR Baggs Lyric
LR Baggs Anthem SL
Taylor ES 2
Dazzos
Trance Amulet

Preamps:
Fishman Pocket Blender
LR Baggs PADI
LR Baggs Venue
RANE AP-13
Pendulum SPS-1
Fishman Aura
Fishman Platinum Pro
DTAR Equinox
DTAR Mama Bear
Raven Labs PMB - 2
Raven Labs True Blue EQ
Raven Labs - Universal Stereo Instrument Preamp
Radial PZ Deluxe
Radial ToneBone
Fire Eye Red Eye
Mesa Boogie Rosette DI
Tonedexter
Grace Alix
Sunnaudio Stage DI
Sunnaudio Tone Driver
Sunnaudio MS-2
Sunnaudio Stage DI 2

Currently, Give me a Dazzo and a Sunnaudio Stage DI-2 and let me get to finally learning how to play guitar. :-)
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 08-02-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
The ES system will do everything you need it to do. No non guitar nerd will know or care it's not the height of amplified perfection. Play solo, it works, play with a band, likewise. I've heard many, many Taylors. Their owners tend to grab them when playing out. Not their favorite guitar, but their most competent. At the open mic I help run they never sound bad. Always can dial them in quickly if only their owners would set then leave them alone.

There is a lot to be said for all the above.
Depends on which version. Anything before the ES2 sounded horrific.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
What general adjustments do you usually make to Taylors to make them sound good?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification