The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-25-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
There are a fair number of events I don’t consider Olympic sports. So, no, I probably won’t watch much.

One comment about women’s softball, which I usually like. In all of Japan, they couldn’t find an actual softball field?
I'm guessing they decided to use baseball stadiums, cause they could accommodate the crowds who would turn out for Olympic softball. Which turned out not to be an issue, but arrangements had already been made.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:29 PM

Default Inspirational story of the week

12-year-old from Syria.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...dy-achievement
Old 07-26-2021, 02:22 AM
Charter Member

I was sad to see Katie Ledecky get silver in the 400-meter freestyle, but she'll have other chances for gold.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I was sad to see Katie Ledecky get silver in the 400-meter freestyle, but she'll have other chances for gold.
Probably no surprise but I was stoked to see Ariarne Titmus win gold in the same event (& hopefully more) but it was heartwarming to see the goodwill Ledecky gave to her opponent & the camaraderie between them even as rivals was there for all to see. True Olympic spirit indeed.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 07-26-2021, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Pretty crazy crash on the MTB course. Matieu van der Poel, one of the big favorites, turfed it HARD coming off a big drop into some rocks.

Go to about :52 to see a better view of it from the side.

This guy is an absolutely incredible bike-handler, so it was hard to understand what happened. Apparently during practice there is a ramp so you can avoid the drop, but they pull it for the actual race. All the teams were told about it, and the Dutch team went over it in the morning meeting, but I guess MVDP forgot and slowed down assuming it was there.

He's a multiple-time World Champion in both MTB and Cyclocross, as well as an absolute beast on the road having held the yellow jersey in the Tour this month for a week after an incredible effort on day 2. In all those disciplines one of his major advantages is his bike-handling. The dude knows how to ride a bike. Case in point:

So it's really weird that not only did he ignore or forget about the warning (his team and roommate have confirmed they told him), but that he would even approach this obstacle in such a safe (and slow) way given what everyone was doing in front of him. Just...odd.

By the way, that's a heck of a drop in a cross country race, they really have upped the technical aspect of cross country mountain biking in the last few years. I think I would probably do that, but I'd want a few runs at it myself.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:46 AM

I (unfortunately) watched skateboarding the other night. I'm weirded out by the Airpods and Olympians with phones in their pockets and scrolling through them 10 seconds before a run. More importantly, it felt a little bit like watching regular skateboarders at the local skatepark, i.e., lots of falling.

Swimming, however, is always fun to watch. The Titmus/Ledecky contest was really thrilling.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was too. She's my favorite Olympic athlete. But Titmus swam an amazing race to catch her. Fantastic swimmer that Aussie. Those two will likely face off again in the 200m, but I imagine that Titmus will be even more the favorite in the shorter race. Will be fun to watch. Ledecky will be a lot tougher to beat in the 800 and 1500, but I'm pretty sure she'll be facing different opponents. I like her chances for gold in those races regardless.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-26-2021, 12:49 PM

Vincent Hancock, from Eatonton, Georgia, sets an Olympic record by going 59/60 on his way to becoming the first man ever to win a third Olympic skeet shooting Gold medal.

Last edited by frankmcr; 07-26-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Wow, just watched the first lap of the MTB race. Man that is the hardest course I’ve ever seen! Id love to ride it but racing it would be TOUGH! Great race so far. Too bad about van der Poel crashing out.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Too bad about van der Poel crashing out.
Wow, I hadn't heard that yet. I'm surprised.

Oh my gosh, I just saw it... ouch!
Old 07-26-2021, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Wow, just watched the first lap of the MTB race. Man that is the hardest course I’ve ever seen! Id love to ride it but racing it would be TOUGH! Great race so far. Too bad about van der Poel crashing out.
Ya I have been over the handlebars on my MB and that looked like at best it was, way not fun

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-26-2021, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow, I hadn't heard that yet. I'm surprised.

Oh my gosh, I just saw it... ouch!
Right? That's a heckuva drop to put in an XC race though!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:58 PM

Default Alaskan 17 year old girl wins 100 meter breaststroke

Alaska just won its first gold medal this Olympics when 17 year old Lydia Jacoby won the women’s 100 meter breaststroke - hooray for Lydia!

I’m not certain if she’s still in high school or if this is the summer between high school and her freshman year in college, but she’s quite young. She’s from Seward, Alaska, a small town some of you might have visited if you’ve taken a cruise to Alaska and done the excursion to the Kenai Fjords.

Anyway, we’re very proud of her, and wish her luck in her upcoming races.

Wade Hampton “Go, Lydia, Go!” Miller
Old 07-27-2021, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Alaska just won its first gold medal this Olympics when 17 year old Lydia Jacoby won the women’s 100 meter breaststroke - hooray for Lydia!

Terrific race. The kid must be over the moon about her win.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-27-2021, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Lydia was fabulous!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic