The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-18-2021, 09:19 PM

Default Next guitar?

I only have a Les Paul. It's a pretty bright one with low output PAF-like pickups. If I were to get another guitar, should it be a Telecaster, Strat, or a small hollowbody guitar with split coil capabilities. Something like an Epiphone ES-339. Looking for versatility, but it's main feature should be something that a Les Paul can't offer. I want it to be a brighter sounding guitar.

I know it's a very broad topic, but I'm just looking for opinions and experiences on what they think would be a good pair for a Les Paul. I think I know the answer already, but I'm just curious to hear what everyone has to say. I'm more in the jazz, blues, rock territory.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:38 AM

check out a MIK Gretsch Electromatic.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-19-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatamoto View Post
... its main feature should be something that a Les Paul can't offer. I want it to be a brighter-sounding guitar...I'm more in the jazz, blues, rock territory.
You might find this of interest (Korean-made, only produced for about two years, great shape, comes with HSC, priced right - and FWIW the seller's also open to offers if you're serious):

https://reverb.com/item/41122017-gre...ic-g5622t-2016
Old 07-19-2021, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

The two most popular and iconic electric guitars since the early days have been Les Pauls and Strats, with teles often mentioned as part of the “holy trinity” of electrics. There are other great guitars out there, semi-hollows, SGs, etc, but if I was gonna own two electrics to cover the waterfront, it would be a strat and a Les Paul. They’re VERY different in terms of both how they play and how they sound. I have a strat and an SG with P90s - the SG would probably be a Les Paul if I could play Les Pauls comfortably in my seated position. But I can’t, so I have an SG instead. I played Les Pauls a lot when I was younger, when I mostly played standing. So I recommend a strat - if you don’t like the floating tremolo - I don’t - it’s very easy to deck them and leave the trem arm in the case…

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 07-19-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:28 AM

Strat or a Tele
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 07-19-2021, 08:17 AM

I'd go with a Strat assuming that you feel comfortable with it since it does have different specs that are noticeable for Les Paul players (i.e. increased scale length, different fretboard radius, that middle pickup may interfere with your picking depending upon your style, etc.). That said, you may prefer all those attributes. Oh, and a Strat with a humbucking bridge pickup gives you great options.

Do you have any playing time on a Strat, Tele, or otherwise?
Old 07-19-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'd go with a Strat assuming that you feel comfortable with it since it does have different specs that are noticeable for Les Paul players (i.e. increased scale length, different fretboard radius, that middle pickup may interfere with your picking depending upon your style, etc.). That said, you may prefer all those attributes. Oh, and a Strat with a humbucking bridge pickup gives you great options.

Do you have any playing time on a Strat, Tele, or otherwise?
I thought of the HSS configuration too, I wouldn't mind either styles.
The most playing time I had with a strat is just playing it in stores and I understand what you're saying with scale length and the overall feel. I liked how the strat felt in my short time playing it, adjusting is always a fun process for me.

I'm lucky that my LP doesn't have neck dive, in your experience does the strat sit in an upward angle (neck towards you), when playing sitting down? I noticed that a lot when watching YouTube reviews.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
check out a MIK Gretsch Electromatic.
I like their streamline series. If I can get my hands on it, I wouldn't mind trying these out.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
The two most popular and iconic electric guitars since the early days have been Les Pauls and Strats, with teles often mentioned as part of the “holy trinity” of electrics. There are other great guitars out there, semi-hollows, SGs, etc, but if I was gonna own two electrics to cover the waterfront, it would be a strat and a Les Paul. They’re VERY different in terms of both how they play and how they sound. I have a strat and an SG with P90s - the SG would probably be a Les Paul if I could play Les Pauls comfortably in my seated position. But I can’t, so I have an SG instead. I played Les Pauls a lot when I was younger, when I mostly played standing. So I recommend a strat - if you don’t like the floating tremolo - I don’t - it’s very easy to deck them and leave the trem arm in the case…

-Ray
This is helpful. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
The most playing time I had with a strat is just playing it in stores and I understand what you're saying with scale length and the overall feel. I liked how the strat felt in my short time playing it, adjusting is always a fun process for me.

I'm lucky that my LP doesn't have neck dive, in your experience does the strat sit in an upward angle (neck towards you), when playing sitting down? I noticed that a lot when watching YouTube reviews.

Strats are very balanced, they’re my favorite guitars to play while sitting down which is how I do 90% of my playing. The LP is also quite balanced while sitting down. My PRS tends to neck raise while sitting down, so I just adjust the strap so the guitar is where I want it to be while sitting down.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I like their Streamliner series. If I can get my hands on it, I wouldn't mind trying these out.
IME the Streamliners are Gretsch in name only - generic entry-level hollows/semis which, quite frankly, Ibanez does far better at this end of the market; if you're really serious, spend the extra $200 or so for a Korean-made Electromatic 5400-Series hollowbody (or a pre-2019 5600-Series semi like the green 5622T-CB above) - there's a bunch of happy owners here on the AGF (check the reviews) who can vouch for the fact that these are fully-gigworthy, professional-quality instruments that just happen to sell for step-up/intermediate-player prices...
Old 07-20-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
IME the Streamliners are Gretsch in name only - generic entry-level hollows/semis which, quite frankly, Ibanez does far better at this end of the market; if you're really serious, spend the extra $200 or so for a Korean-made Electromatic 5400-Series hollowbody (or a pre-2019 5600-Series semi like the green 5622T-CB above) - there's a bunch of happy owners here on the AGF (check the reviews) who can vouch for the fact that these are fully-gigworthy, professional-quality instruments that just happen to sell for step-up/intermediate-player prices...
I have one of these, (5422TG Walnut) It plays like a million bucks, and sounds great. I ordered the Gretsch arched top case for it too. (TKL case, really nice)

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-20-2021, 08:41 AM

From what you say of your criteria, a Strat does seem like the obvious choice. For an outside-the-box alternative, though, I'd give some thought to a Jazzmaster--these are legendary for being comfortable to play, and though they don't replicate the Strat tone, they can get into that ballpark, and they also have some cool wrinkles of their own. I don't own one myself, but I crave one.

Here's a well-done video comparing the tones of a Strat, Jazzmaster, and Tele on similar material (the actual comparisons start at around 2:20, if you want to skip the intro):

Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 07-20-2021, 09:11 AM

My .02

Choice #1 - Tele
Choice #2 - Strat - I also agree that HSS configuration is the most versatile

More often than not, HB equipped guitars with coil splitting usually sound thin in SC position.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-20-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:

No problems with neck dives with Les Pauls or Strats. Actually, none of my guitars have neck dive except my for SGs which have a slight neck dive but the right strap helps with it (not nylon or anything slick).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars