The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-17-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I'm a "retired" bassist so I haven't played any of my guitar tube amps out on a gig ... but I own a first-generation Bugera V22 (that I've connected to a Marshall 2x12 cab) and I used to own a Blues Junior. I've played the Bugera V5 ... and frankly as much as I enjoy my V22 I really hated the sound of the V5. It's a very dark-sounding amp, I think, and I don't like the speaker at all. I really just didn't like it for cleans.

All of these choices are good. I've seen plenty of guitarists who have played as small to large venues with just a Blues Junior but often miced into the PA system. I do agree that normally more power give you more headroom so you can play with a minimal gain setting to get better cleans. And remember, as others have said, a 8-inch speaker can just give you so much if that is all you are using. I much prefer an amp with a 12-inch speaker as a starting point.

If you don't want to spend a lot (like me) and want something new I'd recommend either a V22 or the Monoprice 15 watt tube amp that has a real spring reverb, unlike the digital one in the V22.
I have the Bugera V5 and also find it to be very dark sounding, although I have gigged with it. Sounds fabulous with Blues Harp though. Dark toned amps do not "cut" well. As Frank said, an eq pedal would help. Sounds like the gain may have been turned up too high in your mic'ed situation too.

For good cleans and decent volume you will need to go to 15-20 watt tube amps at least. If you find an amp with a decent sounding line out you won't need to mic and the wattage will be irrelevant. The Orange Crush amps are well regarded in this way

Another route is a Tech 21 Flyrig. You can use it as a pedal through your Bugera (or any other amp) or you can go straight into the board, as it has built-in amp sim. Plenty of versatility too. Weighs less than 2 lbs. Amazing little piece of kit and not too expensive at 3 bills.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-17-2021, 11:39 AM

Hmmm gonna check out the Bugera V22
Old 07-17-2021, 06:02 PM

Depending on the drummer, a Deluxe Reverb can wind up sounding thin and small when the volume gets up in a Blues/Rock band. Mic'ing helps for sure, but if the bass and drums are cooking, smaller amps just get lost on stage.
A lot of club stage monitoring systems are for vocals, and the singers don't want the guitar mixed in, so a strong amp with some bottom is the ticket.

I can usually get by with a 35watt Vibrolux Reverb. A Super Reverb(45watts) will seldom let you down in the louder venues. As far as big concert stages go, there is usually a back line of larger amps(Twins,Supers, etc.) available.

No one amp is great for every situation. I can get away with a Princeton for quieter venues, the Vibrolux for louder nights, and sometimes I'll run them both.

I remember seeing a video with John Lee Hooker explaining that you need a 50watt amp for Gibsons and a 100watt amp for Fenders. He's not wrong in that assessment, imo.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:47 AM

weight is also an issue [I forgot how heavy these tube amps can be!!].Most of the time it does sit in my family room, I did have a Hot Rod Deluxe that I played every wknd. 45lbs!! No Way now!!!
Old 07-18-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
weight is also an issue [I forgot how heavy these tube amps can be!!].Most of the time it does sit in my family room, I did have a Hot Rod Deluxe that I played every wknd. 45lbs!! No Way now!!!
Yes, some occult phenomena has caused my Hot Rod Deluxe to increase in weight over the years too. Low weight is one of the great things about the Tonemaster line.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-18-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Yes, some occult phenomena has caused my Hot Rod Deluxe to increase in weight over the years too. Low weight is one of the great things about the Tonemaster line.
Yeah, once I bought my Tone Mater Deluxe Reverb I sold or traded all my heavy valve amps. It’s amazing how simple and light my rig is these days, Gibson SG into a Keeley Aria, into a TM DR.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:29 AM

Tonemaster ?? I never heard of this amp.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
https://www.fender.com/en-US/guitar-...l/tone-master/
Old 07-18-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
They are Fender’s new digital amp. Instead of something like a Boss Katana that uses a ton of processing power to model a multitude of amps, the Tone Master series each tries to sound like 1 specific amp. The TM DR uses 4 processors to try to sound like a Deluxe Reverb. It has two chips dedicated just to modeling the Reverb correctly. I think mine sounds great; in fact, my only complaint is that the reverb is too “strong” for lack of a better term. You are awash in reverb at any setting above about 3.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Dependent on the PA. You can mic any amp. Hard to go wrong with a Deluxe Reverb. At home get an attenuator. Throwing money at the problem works too. Carr, Tone King, etc. all can pad to 2 watts or so at home.

Another method to explore is to get a powered speaker like a QSC K12 and something like a Strymon Iridium. You can use the K 12 as an acoustic amp too.
Agreed on the Deluxe Reverb. If you can go for a Carr, oh my, angelic amps. I have a 2x10 Rambler. Best all around amp I have ever heard, despite my playing.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
They are Fender’s new digital amp. Instead of something like a Boss Katana that uses a ton of processing power to model a multitude of amps, the Tone Master series each tries to sound like 1 specific amp. The TM DR uses 4 processors to try to sound like a Deluxe Reverb. It has two chips dedicated just to modeling the Reverb correctly. I think mine sounds great; in fact, my only complaint is that the reverb is too “strong” for lack of a better term. You are awash in reverb at any setting above about 3.
You must have the black version. There is a firmware update that fixes this.

The blonde version came out a little bit after the black, they corrected the reverb, and they removed some of the top end bright ness the black one had.

I think the update may make changed to both reverb and brightness. check it out.

https://fendercustomersupport.micros...ticle/KA-01919

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-18-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
You must have the black version. There is a firmware update that fixes this.

The blonde version came out a little bit after the black, they corrected the reverb, and they removed some of the top end bright ness the black one had.

I think the update may make changed to both reverb and brightness. check it out.

https://fendercustomersupport.micros...ticle/KA-01919
Thank you for the link. I am looking into it now.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Thank you for the link. I am looking into it now.

let me know how you make out.

a few ppl I know on the innernets have updated and they were good with the change it made in the verb and tone.

good luck!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-18-2021, 06:25 PM

went to Sam Ash today and they have the Tonemaster . someone was playing thru it.. Great sound!! I just can't justify paying that much for something I won't use that much.. wish they made a smaller compact version..?
Old 07-18-2021, 07:44 PM

I have found the Blues jr to sound terrible, on multiple occasions and several different players. Check out Tech21 Trademark 60 and Roland Blues cube Hot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars