The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-15-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
I tend to take what the Hockey HOF says as gospel - that there's the original Dominion cup donated by Lord Stan in a vault, the Presentation cup skated by the winner, and the Replica sitting in the HOF. Those 3. It's just so “NHL” that the most valuable trophy in sports would be used as a dog bowl, mishandled in so many other ways, and only casually watched over as it makes its rounds to the delight of the players and fans. Only the NHL could include this in their legend and lore. If the Lombardi trophy were handled like that it would end up on EBay in 2 days.
How true. That is what makes the Cup so special, other than it is won with 16 wins AFTER a (usually) 82 game year. 82. Then 16 more wins. It is hard to win it. Way harder than the NFL.

PLUS, the Cup presented and used by the winners as they please is the actual Cup. It is the only major sports prize than is not duplicated each year. So those winners actually handle the same Cup as all those other legendary players handled. The real deal. I think the fact it IS handled so...cavalierly?, that makes part of it so special. That as you and your friends drink beer from it, or go fishing with it, you are part of a continuum. It must be incredible.

I am curious as to what actually caused that huge dent. That took a bit of force. And continues the lore and stories. Love it.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)

Last edited by fumei; 07-15-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
So, Tampa damaged the Stanley Cup.

Just reinforces my dislike of them.
yea, I'm with ya, I'm not a huge fan of these guys either, despite betman saying they didn't skirt the rules, think about what YOUR team cold have done in the playoffs with a team that was skating with ~20m over cap and a few healthy super stars that didn't play much till the playoffs started.

re: the cup - Thankfully, it's a replica (there are probably a few of them) that is used for traveling around and spectacles like what we see these clowns from Tampa doing with it.

the "REAL" one is in the HOF...

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-15-2021, 01:28 PM

Great posts about the actual Stanley Cup. Unique among sports. Not only is it over 100 years old (at least the real cup that is in the HHOF), it is also a living, breathing piece of history with the names of (up to) the last 65 teams and players who have won the Cup engraved on it. 5 bands, 13 winners, 65 teams. Every 13 years the oldest band is removed and the newest one added.

Another very old Cup is the Grey Cup for the winner of the CFL Championship. It was commissioned in 1909 initially for senior amateur hockey but it ended up for football. I know we have some CFL fans here and although there was no season last year there will be one this year.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
yea, I'm with ya, I'm not a huge fan of these guys either, despite betman saying they didn't skirt the rules, think about what YOUR team cold have done in the playoffs with a team that was skating with ~20m over cap and a few healthy super stars that didn't play much till the playoffs started.

re: the cup - Thankfully, it's a replica (there are probably a few of them) that is used for traveling around and spectacles like what we see these clowns from Tampa doing with it.

the "REAL" one is in the HOF...
Nope. Au contraire. The replica is in the HOF. The original bowl is in a vault. The replica is in the HOF (used when the Presentation Cup is not available, i.e. it is being used to drink from, used for a flower pot, etc.) and the real Presentation Cup makes the rounds.

So there are three (3) Cups, only. The original small "bowl", the Presentation Cup - the "real" one, and the Replica Cup used in the Hall of Fame, when the real one is out for jaunt.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 07-16-2021, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

So with the removal of bands, the earliest names on the Cup are the '66 Canadiens. That means no Howe, Hull, the Rocket, Eddie Shore, Howie Morenz, et al. Does anyone know if the Stovepipe cup still exists or if there's an ounce of silver in the current cup that traces its lineage back to the original. Or if the 1957 re-design was from scratch...?
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-16-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
Nope. Au contraire. The replica is in the HOF. The original bowl is in a vault. The replica is in the HOF (used when the Presentation Cup is not available, i.e. it is being used to drink from, used for a flower pot, etc.) and the real Presentation Cup makes the rounds.

So there are three (3) Cups, only. The original small "bowl", the Presentation Cup - the "real" one, and the Replica Cup used in the Hall of Fame, when the real one is out for jaunt.
ah! then what I had read was a lie!!!

I'm not surprised tho... It makes sense that the Original one is locked away some where.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-16-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
So with the removal of bands, the earliest names on the Cup are the '66 Canadiens. That means no Howe, Hull, the Rocket, Eddie Shore, Howie Morenz, et al. Does anyone know if the Stovepipe cup still exists or if there's an ounce of silver in the current cup that traces its lineage back to the original. Or if the 1957 re-design was from scratch...?
Ah, the Stovetop Stanley Cup. Most people have never heard of it or seen it before. I have no idea if it still exists - I googled it but found nothing. Guessing that the bands are in the HHOF. Also thinking that the actual "Cup" (the top part) is now what is on the "new" 57 redesigned Cup.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Ah, the Stovetop Stanley Cup. Most people have never heard of it or seen it before. I have no idea if it still exists - I googled it but found nothing. Guessing that the bands are in the HHOF. Also thinking that the actual "Cup" (the top part) is now what is on the "new" 57 redesigned Cup.

I've googled more about the Cup in the last couple of days than I care to know. Looks like Clarence Campbell deemed the original bowl too brittle and had a replica made in 1963. This would be the one the Lightning dinged. Also came across this interesting tradition - if you ever have a chance to be with the Cup, touch it, kiss it, drink beer from it, but don't try to hoist it over your head. That's reserved for players. Cool.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-17-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I've googled more about the Cup in the last couple of days than I care to know. Looks like Clarence Campbell deemed the original bowl too brittle and had a replica made in 1963. This would be the one the Lightning dinged. Also came across this interesting tradition - if you ever have a chance to be with the Cup, touch it, kiss it, drink beer from it, but don't try to hoist it over your head. That's reserved for players. Cool.
And totally appropriate.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I didn't know that but it is cool. Also, only players are allowed to throw the Cup into their pool . To my knowledge, that only happened once. Anyone remember?

"The Stanley Cup Speaks" would make for a great book assuming it included embarrassing moments, like leaving the Cup in a taxi cab, denting it, being in a swimming pool, and then things like a child being baptized in the cup, etc. Interviews with players.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:49 PM

Some reference on THE Cup : https://www.hhof.com/htmlSilverware/..._stTales.shtml
Old 07-17-2021, 01:28 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I didn't know that but it is cool. Also, only players are allowed to throw the Cup into their pool . To my knowledge, that only happened once. Anyone remember?

"The Stanley Cup Speaks" would make for a great book assuming it included embarrassing moments, like leaving the Cup in a taxi cab, denting it, being in a swimming pool, and then things like a child being baptized in the cup, etc. Interviews with players.
What a cool coffee table book that would be!
Old 07-18-2021, 05:18 AM

Carey Price waived his No-Movement clause for the expansion draft. The thought is that the Canadiens can protect Jake Allen anticipating that Seattle wouldn't pick up Price's contract. Price has 5 years left at $10.5 per year... That's going to be an albatross of a contract. I bet the Canadiens hope Seattle picks him up but no way that will happen.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Kucherov is an idiot, I wasn't happy to see Tampa win, I think there are a number of teams better than Tampa. (Just my opinion)
If they were better...they should have the cup then shouldn't they?😁
Lightning 3peat 2022!!!👍😁😁😁
2004 Taylor 214
2011 Taylor GC4
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Twin Reverb
Old 07-18-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Abrahamson View Post
If they were better...they should have the cup then shouldn't they?😁
Lightning 3peat 2022!!!👍😁😁😁