The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-07-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Something to consider...

In Canada, the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) provides roadside assistance for bikes just like they do for cars, even for the most basic of things. There’s no extra cost. Whether out on city streets or on a trail, they will respond. This type of service seems particularly important for e-bikes because they are much heavier to push over any distance. Likely, CAA will be able to quickly charge a spent battery if that’s the issue. I’ve been a CAA member for 40+ years and they’ve always come through when needed.

It’s worth checking with AAA to see if they offer the same, whether already included with membership, or at a nominal additional cost. I suspect they do.
When I've searched US AAA a bike assistance page comes up, prompts for zip code, and then you don't see that link so I've not been able to verify and be sure about coverage.

I'm not saying don't use AAA or similar but there are simple choices that are much faster. Great local bike shops and REI stores offer lessons in taking care of a tire.

Most decent new bikes can also be tubeless like a modern car or motorcycle but with sealant so you rarely suffer a flat. You can still have a tear that needs a fix.

If you go the DIY route to at least know how you can typically be on your way faster than help arrives.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:20 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
When I've searched US AAA a bike assistance page comes up, prompts for zip code, and then you don't see that link so I've not been able to verify and be sure about coverage.

I'm not saying don't use AAA or similar but there are simple choices that are much faster. Great local bike shops and REI stores offer lessons in taking care of a tire.

Most decent new bikes can also be tubeless like a modern car or motorcycle but with sealant so you rarely suffer a flat. You can still have a tear that needs a fix.

If you go the DIY route to at least know how you can typically be on your way faster than help arrives.

True, everyone should have spare parts, proper tools and know-how to fix most things that may arise. That said, some people aren’t too handy and eBikes may present special considerations (like battery charging), so it’s good to have something like CAA/AAA available just in case especially if already a member and part of your coverage. I mentioned it because some may not have been aware. It’s a bonus should it ever be needed. For some, it’d be worth getting if there’s a nominal cost.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
True, everyone should have spare parts, proper tools and know-how to fix most things that may arise. That said, some people aren’t too handy and eBikes may present special considerations (like battery charging), so it’s good to have something like CAA/AAA available just in case especially if already a member and part of your coverage. I mentioned it because some may not have been aware. It’s a bonus should it ever be needed. For some, it’d be worth getting if there’s a nominal cost.
After a few calls to AAA that were serious frustration a spring pothole did in a tire near home. Of course being blocks away they came fast. Still, it was a Friday night and below freezing so I was thankful and happy to tip the man because I'm sure he's not getting rich for hard and arguably dangerous work.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Some really important advice is ride with basic tools and a spare tube just like a non-ebike. You've got more to push or carry if you have to limp home!
Definitely. Like I said in my first post, we are veteran road riders, and we know how to be prepared.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 07-08-2021, 12:05 AM

Has anyone looked at the cost and merits of converting an existing bike to front-drive electric vs new designed-from-scratch electric bikes?

We are debating whether to convert our old touring bikes to electric or just buy purpose-built ebikes.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Has anyone looked at the cost and merits of converting an existing bike to front-drive electric vs new designed-from-scratch electric bikes?

We are debating whether to convert our old touring bikes to electric or just buy purpose-built ebikes.
Those can be effective and they have their fans. My one trial realized the bike handling dynamics were gone or at least off. That might not be relevant to many but I lift wheel for curbs, railroad tracks and hop off things. I noticed a purpose built model has that extra weight where it doesn't mess with your riding dynamics.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:26 AM

This is not an e bike put down but more of a funny sibling rivalry thing.

Yesterday it was the Moots (my bike maker) motor vs electric motor. The Moots motor kicked the electric's butt. My younger brother has an e-assist bicycle and BMW motorcycle. With that he'll claim superior two-wheel skills. I often make the claim a lot of motorcycle riders are not as skilled as they should be.

He gave up and turned around at 12 mi. He couldn't touch me on gravel and turns and the expensive e-bike and his own engine pooped out at higher speeds. One steep hill let him get a few feet ahead but every turn and braking scenario was my gain even though he's got SLX brakes and good Conti tires.

The reality is his e-assist bike got him outside and gets many others moving but that sure was fun to compare human to the e-bike before he gave up. Maybe he'll start listening to me about tire inflation.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Those can be effective and they have their fans. My one trial realized the bike handling dynamics were gone or at least off. That might not be relevant to many but I lift wheel for curbs, railroad tracks and hop off things. I noticed a purpose built model has that extra weight where it doesn't mess with your riding dynamics.
That’s a fair point. Since my tourer/commuter is usually loaded front and rear, it’s less of an issue but worth considering.

Our major point is that we have bikes that fit well and are comfortable, and going through the process of getting a new bike comfortable is something we’d like to avoid if possible.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
That’s a fair point. Since my tourer/commuter is usually loaded front and rear, it’s less of an issue but worth considering.

Our major point is that we have bikes that fit well and are comfortable, and going through the process of getting a new bike comfortable is something we’d like to avoid if possible.
You can go the bespoke route with a few custom steel bike makers.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:41 PM

This thread got me looking into the electric bikes. I have been online quite a bit. Has anyone heard or tried the Aventon Level. It is a hybrid between class 2 and 3 and for the price point seems to have an awful lot of features.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

I’m on the fence on this. I’m a commuter. For reasons that slip my mind, I’ve not been working from my office since Mar 2020. I’ve tuned my bike up, gone for a few rides, and determined that I ain’t too keen on hills. (I have a respiratory issue that has worsened recently.)

The Gov wants me back in the office in the fall. He won’t say why, but he’s not very good with thinking or using language.

So I’ll try pedals for a bit. But I’m leaning toward going E.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-26-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
This thread got me looking into the electric bikes. I have been online quite a bit. Has anyone heard or tried the Aventon Level. It is a hybrid between class 2 and 3 and for the price point seems to have an awful lot of features.
That one's come up in conversations and my brother has looked into a lot of not traditional and first tier makers. That bike as all the flags that could make it great or rotten. For great, the price. For not so great.... Limited sizes, doesn't list the exact components you are getting. It's 8 speed rear shifting en an era where decent modestly priced bikes are now 10.

An engineer friend who's developed a few products, now with Trek was also a key person for Harley-Davidson's. He says you don't have to get the post-sale support a Trek will have but with experience watching warranty claims and all this from the start he is really firm that getting a Bosch, Yamaha or Shimano for the electric part is really important if something goes wrong.

My experience helping people is the non-Shimano and SRAM derailleurs can be a messy junk show compared to those two who dominate for good reason - durable stuff that works in a flawless manner. The quality of the brakes really varies.

If you have a mechanical aptitude replacing troublesome parts is not much of a problem.

My shop owning friends and friends at a distributor and Trek point out this niche is competitive to the extent that you get what you pay for. My interpretation is for very casual use it might not be so important to get a first tier product. If you have high expectations or use something a lot the brand can make a difference.

I don't know the brand of Chinese bike my brother got but the 10 speed Deore, Shimano brakes and Bosch drivetrain are truly decent. He said it was $2500 before last year and now same bike is $1000 more so maybe that helps you for perspective.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
That one's come up in conversations and my brother has looked into a lot of not traditional and first tier makers. That bike as all the flags that could make it great or rotten. For great, the price. For not so great.... Limited sizes, doesn't list the exact components you are getting. It's 8 speed rear shifting en an era where decent modestly priced bikes are now 10.

An engineer friend who's developed a few products, now with Trek was also a key person for Harley-Davidson's. He says you don't have to get the post-sale support a Trek will have but with experience watching warranty claims and all this from the start he is really firm that getting a Bosch, Yamaha or Shimano for the electric part is really important if something goes wrong.

My experience helping people is the non-Shimano and SRAM derailleurs can be a messy junk show compared to those two who dominate for good reason - durable stuff that works in a flawless manner. The quality of the brakes really varies.

If you have a mechanical aptitude replacing troublesome parts is not much of a problem.

My shop owning friends and friends at a distributor and Trek point out this niche is competitive to the extent that you get what you pay for. My interpretation is for very casual use it might not be so important to get a first tier product. If you have high expectations or use something a lot the brand can make a difference.

I don't know the brand of Chinese bike my brother got but the 10 speed Deore, Shimano brakes and Bosch drivetrain are truly decent. He said it was $2500 before last year and now same bike is $1000 more so maybe that helps you for perspective.
Thank you, this Aventon has a one year warranty and Shimano Acera gears, but as you say, It is only 8 gears. It is around 1600.00. It is a little stripped down as you do not get lights for instance, but that is one way to keep the price down. You can add them as an accessory later. I think it comes in two sizes, a medium for people like 5 ft. to maybe 6 ft and then a larger frame for those above that. It has a Shengyi's 500 watt rear hub motor. It does have hydrolic disc brakes as well.

As I know very little, this bike did seem to pack quite a bit of quality into it. I would not be riding a 100 miles a day, but daily for exercise most likely.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thank you, this Aventon has a one year warranty and Shimano Acera gears, but as you say, It is only 8 gears. It is around 1600.00. It is a little stripped down as you do not get lights for instance, but that is one way to keep the price down. You can add them as an accessory later. I think it comes in two sizes, a medium for people like 5 ft. to maybe 6 ft and then a larger frame for those above that. It has a Shengyi's 500 watt rear hub motor. It does have hydrolic disc brakes as well.

As I know very little, this bike did seem to pack quite a bit of quality into it. I would not be riding a 100 miles a day, but daily for exercise most likely.
It seems like you're doing your homework and understand what I pointed out. I can go bargain or the opposite with purchases and be fine with both. What seems important is people who get bikes from an e-bike shop here with few name brands or "mail order" are either very happy with the bargain, or unhappy via inappropriate expectations.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:51 PM

We ordered our eBikes today! We got the Lectric XP 2.0's. These are going to be nice with our motorhome and for running into town while at home.

https://lectricebikes.com/collection...ducts/xp-black
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic