The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-03-2021, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Gretsch G9555

What’s the consensus on these? Good starter archtop? I’d mostly be playing it acoustic but plug in occasionally just for fun. I don’t play jazz but like to play old country and ragtime Travis picking type stuff.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:09 PM

Reviews say it is quiet acoustically and lacking bass, although with a nice electric sound. You may not like the sharp v neck and lack of tone control, also reviews cite a tendency to feedback easily. If these are not issues for you it looks like good value for money. If in doubt, buy from somewhere with a good returns policy.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:28 PM

Old-time Gretsch guy (since 1964) here:

Having had the opportunity to play a few examples, if you're expecting something in the same league as a postwar Gibson L-50/L-48, Epiphone Zenith/Blackstone, Guild A-50, or even the (discontinued) acoustic Godin 5th Avenue, the current Gretsch New Yorker G9555 (and its discontinued all-acoustic predecessor G9550) is going to be a disappointment: as Ray said it's nasal and thin-sounding, lacking projection in spite of its solid (pressed) top, and even by pre-war standards (the original Brooklyn-built Gretsch New Yorker hit the market in 1949) the anachronistic thick/sharp V-neck is a handful - and not in the "good" way some players prefer. Personally, if you're looking for plugged/unplugged versatility under $1K I'd look into a used Guild Newark St. A-150 or '90s/early-2K's Epiphone Emperor Regent - both better-sounding/feeling instruments all around IME...

Then again, if it's just gotta have the "G" name on the peghead vintage New Yorkers and Corsairs, although somewhat scarce compared to their Gibson/Epiphone counterparts, can routinely be had for under $1K as well; here's a '68 Corsair (not a '59 - the ribbed tailpiece bar, stamped serial number, and "Made in USA" on the peghead give it away) from the late-Brooklyn/early-Baldwin era, in the same price range as the 9555 - I've played a couple, and with a suspended DeArmond "redhead" pickup (same one used on the 9555 and A-150, available through the Guild parts shop) it should be right up your alley:

https://rudysmusic.com/collections/a...w-cutaway-soho
Old 06-03-2021, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

I don't need the pickup. I just saw a few available at cheap prices and was curious if this model was well thought of. I don't really have any preconceived notions for tone when it comes to archtops, having played very few over the years. I just want something that sounds good, plays well and is fun for something different than a flattop.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
I don't need the pickup...I just want something that sounds good, plays well and is fun for something different than a flattop.
In that case, you might want to give Rudy's a call and make him an offer - if this was available before I bought my Godin 5th Avenue, I probably would've grabbed it myself...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops