The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-27-2021, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Hey Sal, gig went well, people are back to being crazy again...

Re: the NC-1, not so good, but I dont think the fault of the pickup. I received it day of the gig and tried it out with headphones (as my wife wasnt feeling well) and it sounded amazing. But out in the bar through a Bose S1 it was pretty bassy sounding and i couldn't eq to my liking. I was using it with the cable out of soundhole and twice it fell off my strap and once it dinged my new L-00. First ding out of the way.
So, anyone considering the NC-1, it is a good sounding pickup that is nicely balanced, no B string jumping out! But Im going to stick with my Baggs M1a and it's adjustable polepieces, maybe it's just what I am used to...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 07-28-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
which website is that? maybe you Brits have different preferred vendors? i checked Amazon (nothing), Reverb, Zzsounds, Musician's Friend, and Sweetwater and all of them are backordered (i did not check any "used" items though).
The Mojotone website. I even emailed them to ask if they’re made to order and they’re not, but it’ll still take 2 weeks to ship to the UK then I’ll have to pay the import tax thing once it’s here to get it to me. No other retailers here have it stock so I will have to get it from them direct, as there’s apparently a backlog of back orders to such retailers.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hey Sal, gig went well, people are back to being crazy again...

Re: the NC-1, not so good, but I dont think the fault of the pickup. I received it day of the gig and tried it out with headphones (as my wife wasnt feeling well) and it sounded amazing. But out in the bar through a Bose S1 it was pretty bassy sounding and i couldn't eq to my liking. I was using it with the cable out of soundhole and twice it fell off my strap and once it dinged my new L-00. First ding out of the way.
So, anyone considering the NC-1, it is a good sounding pickup that is nicely balanced, no B string jumping out! But Im going to stick with my Baggs M1a and the adjustable polepieces, maybe it's just what I am used to...
Trying to decide if I want one of these or the Schertler AG6. Was initially going to get an M1 active as this will be for live use too.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

I have played three gigs in the past month now…

One with my D15 and the NC-1
One with my 000-28 and Baggs Element UST
One with my J45 with K&K.

I felt that I got all three to sound sweet. I either used a Zoom AC-2 or Fire Eye Red Eye in conjunction, and then into the board.

They all worked well. However I am lucky enough to work with a good sound guy (who also accompanies with al sorts of percussion). By far, his preference, and the easiest to EQ and sit in the mix is the 000-28 with the Baggs Element.

The NC-1 needed a lot of gain boost by the way. The volume in the AC-2 had to be turned way up. The Element needed it’s gain turned lower; it has oomph. The K&K needed bass dialed back, but works really well with the J45 and a soundhole plug.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post

I felt that I got all three to sound sweet. I either used a Zoom AC-2 or Fire Eye Red Eye in conjunction, and then into the board.

They all worked well. However I am lucky enough to work with a good sound guy (who also accompanies with al sorts of percussion). By far, his preference, and the easiest to EQ and sit in the mix is the 000-28 with the Baggs Element.

The NC-1 needed a lot of gain boost by the way. The volume in the AC-2 had to be turned way up. The Element needed it’s gain turned lower; it has oomph. The K&K needed bass dialed back, but works really well with the J45 and a soundhole plug.
Hey Sal,
That’s really interesting feedback…does the K&K have more output than the NC-1? I’ve always found the Element to be exceptionally hot, the sweet spot for me when I was using them was with the onboard volume wheel about halfway up/down…all the way up tended to spike things into clipping when hit hard. Sound engineers LOVED them though, especially in the Hummingbird I toured with from 2007-2010. I used to get all sorts of comments about it being the easiest to shape live tone they had ever worked with etc etc. It never sounded all that sensational to me, but certainly wasn’t bad!
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerates View Post
The Mojotone website. I even emailed them to ask if they’re made to order and they’re not, but it’ll still take 2 weeks to ship to the UK then I’ll have to pay the import tax thing once it’s here to get it to me. No other retailers here have it stock so I will have to get it from them direct, as there’s apparently a backlog of back orders to such retailers.
Thanks - looks like today they are back in stock there and elsewhere so i guess my backorder should get filled soon. yesterday they were still listed as out-of-stock most places.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
Thanks - looks like today they are back in stock there and elsewhere so i guess my backorder should get filled soon. yesterday they were still listed as out-of-stock most places.
I think it will depend where you ordered it from though? Like if it was from a guitar store then Mojotone have to ship their supplies to there first for them to sell on. If its directly from Mojotone they ship it straight to you. At least that's what I thought anyway.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerates View Post
. If its directly from Mojotone they ship it straight to you. At least that's what I thought anyway.
This is correct Degenerates. I ordered mine from Mojotone, they shipped direct and very quickly too.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 07-28-2021, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

This is good and useful info Sal. Glad you have success with all your rigs.
Off topic, I have to agree with you on the Baggs Element, it sounds very good in my Rainsong, which is my main gigger, 4 nights a week...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 07-28-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
This is correct Degenerates. I ordered mine for Mojotone, they shipped direct and very quickly too.
Yes I thought so, as many dealers don't have them in stock so any orders done via them are on a backorder.

I take it you're already in the US though so you'd get yours much quicker than I would. I'm still debating whether to drop the money on it and face an anxious (minimum) 2 week wait for it or not lol.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Jinder and Joe.

Jinder, The K&K is hotter than the NC-1. Surprising to me. You probably have more experience gigging than all of us… love your opinions.

And Joe… again glad you are playing. If you don’t mind, share where you play. I’m in 08739 a fair amount… I’d come see you depending on where.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Jinder and Joe.

Jinder, The K&K is hotter than the NC-1. Surprising to me. You probably have more experience gigging than all of us… love your opinions.

And Joe… again glad you are playing. If you don’t mind, share where you play. I’m in 08739 a fair amount… I’d come see you depending on where.
Hey Sal, Im on the Jersey shore, Belmar area.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification