The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-24-2018, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Strings for Blackbird Savoy

Any suggestions on string choice for a Blackbird Savoy.
They come with Elixir Nano lights but I have never been a fan of Elixirs.
Would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks a bunch.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Ambrose View Post
Was wondering how your Savoy setup turned out.
Also what strings did you put on her?
I just got my Savoy Sunburst, beautiful guitar... waiting to get her setup.
Plugged in, the strings are not at all balanced. The high E is lost while the B is a raging monster.
Yes, it needs a good setup all around.
I am working through string choice as well.
Looking to round out the sound a bit, with hopefully a set of strings that will bring more bass.
Any insight would be most welcome.
Thanks
-Jacqueléne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Ambrose View Post
Any suggestions on string choice for a Blackbird Savoy.
They come with Elixir Nano lights but I have never been a fan of Elixirs.
Would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks a bunch.
Jacqueléne, I also have a Sunburst Savoy.

I am with you on the Elixirs, and had the same issues with string balance, rounding out the sound and more bass.

To solve those issues, I tried Reds, flatwound PBs, Silk and Steel, Newtone Masterclass Doublewounds (with the beefier bass strings) and a few others.

None of those strings gave me the sound or playability I was looking for, which was something that would be competitive/complimentary to my GX.

It didn't happen. And since I don't need a guitar for travel, the Savoy didn't get played (except for the string experiments).

Until...

I was going to sell it, but in a last attempt to get it to be more useful than a wall decoration, I put some D 'Addario Folk Nylon strings on it.

To my surprise (never got nylons to work on a steel string before), I got the bass I was looking for and the playability... the factory set up seems to be OK for those strings.

Bottom line for me is that the Savoy made a better nylon guitar than a steel string and a better nylon guitar than my made-for-nylon Emerald X10N.

Now I kind of think of my Savoy as a big 6-string Uke and it completes a perfect 3-guitar arsenal... Strat, narrow neck (plays-like-a-Strat) CA GX, and the "big uke" Nylon Savoy.

This is probably not what you wanted to hear ~ and I was reluctant to post ~ but that is my experience with Strings on a Savoy.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:02 AM

Strumalot, that is good information. It may be that the OP's dilemma will be solved by a nylon string conversion, and thinking out of the box.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Strumalot, thank you for that response. Very informative.
I am certainly gonna try that.
I am also gonna try Santa Cruz Balanced Low Tension strings, as I have read that low tension may bring out a better tone from the Savoy.
I’ll report back once I do.
Kinda excited about trying the nylon strings. Now wouldn’t that be something!
Funny cause I just played a nylon string guitar and really liked it.
This could turn out are a wonderful surprise.
Thanks again.

Yamamoto Talus All Paulownia/ Barbera Solo pickup
Zeiler Harpy Eagle/ Barbera or Dazzo
CA Pre-Peavy Cargo/ Misi-Element pickup
Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor Ukulele/ Misi- Element pickup
Outdoor Carbon Ukulele
SunnAudio DI Pristine
Genzler Acoustic Array Pro Amp
EV Everse 8
Old 11-05-2018, 03:47 AM

In the market for a non wood guitar to keep at my cabin in Michigan. Have a Blackbird Uke so was attracted to the Savoy and a few others.
If you have a sound clip with the nylon strings installed would be very interested in listening.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Lucky Ambrose, I will be very interested in hearing about your experience with the Santa Cruz strings (and whether you think I am right about the nylons... or just having Acid Flashbacks or something like that).

I read the Premier Guitar review that mentioned the tension issue. If the low tensions steels work in the same way as the nylons, we will have unlocked a very useful "Savoy Secret."
As you probably know, the nylons take a week or two to stretch out. A little annoying, but they do stay in tune once they are broken in. And they last (mine are about 6-8 months old now). I want to try the Optima Golds next, but the extended days of Tuning Hell has been a deterrent (in addition to the Savoy bridge not being set up for tie-on strings).
Kenbike, I have spent a lot of time in U.P. Michigan (Munising and the Keweenaw Peninsula) and live mostly outside now. The Nylon Savoy would be a worthy cabin guitar. I frequently play mine outside when I wake up in the middle of the night. The Nylon Savoy just seems like the most appropriate guitar for those kind of "mellow moments." It is also a good size for curling up by a tree or propped up against boulder. Blends with the environment, too.

During Hurricane Florence I sent the Savoy on an extended adventure to safe location. The person who had it spent the time working out the Beatles song Blackbird. Sounds great on the Nylon Savoy! I have been wanting to record it and likely will when I get things put back together here...
Old 11-05-2018, 07:06 AM

I’ll have to try some of these strings you all suggest.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-05-2018, 07:57 AM

Give the Martin Retros (monel) in mixed med/light gauge a try. I have them on my Blackbird Super OM, Martin OM21, Martin OM28v, Martin D28, and Recording King 0 sized Schoenberg. They sound amazing on all of them and they last as long as the the Elixers I used to use. Martin gives the string tension for each gauge on their site here: https://www.martinguitar.com/strings/retro/

For 10lbs of tension over a light gauge set you get the medium gauge lower three strings. The extra mass gives a fuller bass sound and more sustain. They really let you get a much fuller sound, especially out of smaller bodied guitars. I really like the MLJ13's.

The Retro's have a different sound than PB's or 80/20's and it took my ears a week or so to adjust when I first switched. They sounded nice but different. Then one day it just clicked and there was no going back. The Retro's don't have that direct from string to ear sparkle, all the sound comes from the guitar. Give them a try and you'll see.

Happy experimenting with that awesome Blackbird!
Old 11-05-2018, 09:27 AM

Which size our model # of said nylon folk strings??
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-06-2018, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Wuchak, good idea on the mixed Retros. They are on my "try them again list," but I haven't thought of mixing the sets. I had put a set of 12s on the GX a while back but didn't give them enough time break in.

Kramster, I used the D 'Adarrio EJ34 Folk Nylons. They have ball ends so they work with the Savoy bridge the same as steel. They also fit fine in the nut, which seemed a little high to me for steel strings, but works well for the nylons. No buzz, plays a little loose which is sort of fun.

I strung the nylons on the tuners mostly as normal, maybe with a few extra windings. I always lock in the strings by wrapping the leader under the windings. The nylons stretch and slip, but they held fine on the Savoy after a week or two and stay reasonably in tune.

The nylon strings certainly changes the character of the Savoy. My main acoustic guitar is still the steel string GX, but I also like nylon guitars for an alternative sound and playing experience.

The Nylon Savoy kind of makes me want to head out into the Superstitions, prop up against one of those Saguaros, and play themes from Western movies all day.

Well, maybe not a Saguaro.

I would be very interested in second/alternate opinions and other string configurations on the Savoy/Nylon/Steel thing. It's a cheap experiment to help determine if the Savoy can easily, and credibly, flip between a nylon and steel string guitar.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:38 AM

Nice thing is you don't have to do the mixing, you can get them premixed! The MLJ13's are Laurence Juber's set. They are great for fingerstyle and they rock for flatpicking. Once you go mixed gauge, especially on a small body guitar, you'll never go back.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Wanted to report back on the Santa Cruz Strings... EXCELLENT!!!!
It tamed the beast. The sound is just lovely. It’s warm and articulate.
I am very please at how they sound on the Savoy.
Gonna try it on my other guitars as well.
I’ll play it for a while and then try the nylon string for a completely different experience.
Gonna be interesting which one I will prefer.
Thank you all for your input!

Yamamoto Talus All Paulownia/ Barbera Solo pickup
Zeiler Harpy Eagle/ Barbera or Dazzo
CA Pre-Peavy Cargo/ Misi-Element pickup
Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor Ukulele/ Misi- Element pickup
Outdoor Carbon Ukulele
SunnAudio DI Pristine
Genzler Acoustic Array Pro Amp
EV Everse 8
Old 11-09-2018, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Lucky Ambrose for the good news and Wuchak for the Retro Tip!

I am not sure about turning my Savoy back into a steel string, but I'm always up for experiments, ~ so ~ I have set of the Santa Cruz strings low tensions on the way (a mid tension set for the GX, too), plus a set of the Retro MLJ13s.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:09 AM

Sounds like you're really enjoying that Savoy! One additional advantage to the mixed med/light string setup is you can tune down without the strings becoming floppy rubber bands. I keep my MLJ13 equipped Blackbird Super OM tuned down 1/2 step all time. So many artists, from Buck Owens to Metallica, to SRV, recorded with that tuning for a reason. It adds a nice little touch of melancholy to familiar chords. The slightly reduced string tension is also a bit easier on the fingers. Capo at two for concert pitch. Capo at two and use key of C chord shapes to get key of Bb which is used in lots of classical and band pieces. Those med gauge bass strings add a lot of flexibility to the instrument and really expand the usable tone pallet.

Last edited by Wuchak; 07-08-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:12 PM

I picked all these strings this week to try ... just had the Savoy set up a bit bettern then when I got it so should be fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber