The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-02-2018, 12:30 PM

Default Is the Savoy Worth It

At $2695.00 the entrance into the EKOA world seems high, especially when you can buy similar products in carbon that gives you the same hardiness to the outside world, much cheaper.
Is the sound that much better?
Don't get me wrong, I own 2 Blackbirds, a Super OM and a L13 and really like them and have considered selling them for the Savoy, but not sure its worth it.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:47 PM

Default I should know soon

I just bought the Savoy from Bry and plan to compare it to my Lucky 13 and sell the lesser of the 2.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Default I know now...

...but rlawton, I’ll look forward to trading notes with you.

The cost of the base model is listed on the Blackbird website as $2,500, without electronics or any other upgrades.

I broke-down and also just bought a Savoy from a forum member and now have it in my possession. I’ve been holding-off posting my detailed thoughts about it until I’ve had sufficient time to assess it overall. I will soon.

To your question, for now I’ll say that I feel good about the price I paid for it used, even though I’ve foregone the warranty. Despite that I had been lusting for a tricked-out burst model, I couldn’t justify in my mind paying that much for one, and likely would not have paid the cost of a basic new one. Mine is the basic model. To me, it’s definitely worth its used price and with limited time with it thus far, I can see why many would be willing to pay the price for a new one up to a full option model.

Based on my experience with composite guitars over the past 10 years, to my ear, the Savoy (perhaps all ekoa models) sounds the most like a quality wood guitar. It’s construction looks more organic. It has a lot of horsepower for its small size (maybe due to its ‘double top’ soundboard and three sound outlets...soundhole, body soundport and headstock soundport). It is much louder and with a more balanced tone than my beloved ‘08 Cargo, which was my goal for getting a Savoy. If having to choose between a Savoy and a Cargo, I’d definitely pay enough for a used Savoy. I’d go so far as to speculate that it’s the best sounding of the very small travel size guitars (at least among the composites)...but it’s costly to get that.

There are a bunch of other Savoy owners on this forum who have had theirs for a while. Hopefully, they’ll chime-in to add to the discussion.

Last edited by Acousticado; 02-02-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

I was considering a Savoy and liked the look of the burst finish ones but at the price for one of those I was able to order a custom Emerald X20 with several features customized exactly to my specs plus a beautiful woody top. I'd still like to try a Savoy someday but until the prices come down a bit (or other CF guitars catch up) I'll just have to wait.

I'm looking forward to hearing some comparisons of how the Savor stacks up against other CF guitars in terms of tone, quality of build and playing.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcyclist View Post
...worth it.
Define "worth"

Something is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.

If someone is willing to pay $2695 then it is, by definition, worth $2695 to THEM.

So, you are asking someone else to decide for you if something is worth a certain amount to you?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-02-2018, 04:53 PM

Everyone of course will have different opinion. I personally returned mine last year as thought it was physically too small and sounded too small to my ear to justify price tag of keeping it and personally didn't care for soundport. I liked soundport on lucky 13 better and the size of comparing blackbirds. Because I couldn't afford it though I was needing it to sound like. $6k guitar to keep it. a buddy of mine dreams of owning and has a contrary opinion of it being the perfect guitar.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:26 PM

Default Size of the Savoy is my biggest concern as I don’t like parlor-size guitars.

I cruise summers on a small sailboat and the Lucky 13 was just a touch too large for the boat and I’m hoping the Savoy will work better.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Guest 928

Fazool;

I better prefer the Socratic notion that "many are the wand bearers, few are the mystics."
Old 02-02-2018, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Fazool;

I better prefer the Socratic notion that "many are the wand bearers, few are the mystics."
I’ve always been fond of “The oxen are slow. But, the earth is patient”. My daily mantra while waiting for the X-20. Arghhhhh!!!
Old 02-03-2018, 09:15 AM

As a number have said..."worth" is a very subjective term. What I can say as a Savoy owner and waiting on an El Captain in March is that the price performance index for me is worth it. For me the sound captured my attention and then the design and innovation in creating this sound followed quickly. I have owned at least one of every major CF lutherier over the years and BB and Joe have struck the perfect combination of innovation and classic design with these two models for me. Additionally you should know that these guitars have replaced all my acoustic guitar needs. If you add up all the purchases and selling off over the years... These prices are inline with any quality acoustic US made guitar on the market. That also includes my Taylor and Martin purchases as well.

Your mileage may vary....
Old 02-03-2018, 10:10 AM

I have not (yet) played a Savoy, but I have extensively played the El Capitan. It very nearly dissuaded me from ordering my Lucky 13. Acoustically I would put El Capitan as an equal against any of my Taylor guitars, and it is comparably priced to a 614 / 714 / 814.

You already have two great examples of Blackbird artistry, the Super OM and the Lucky 13. (Neither are currently in production, BTW, if that factors into your decision at all). The advantages to Savoy are:
- a more traditional woody appearance and a smaller body which still produces very good sound, according to owner reports here
- the resistance to humidity problems and most temperature issues that composite gives

What do you expect a Savoy to do that your current Blackbirds won't?
Only you can decide something as subjective as "worth"......
Old 02-03-2018, 10:12 AM

I really love the look of the Savoy, but it also struck me as very expensive.

Then I remembered that I’ve got a couple of Martins that cost me a bit more than that,,, USED.

I think it’s just a matter of realigning one’s (incorrect) expectations that composite guitars should be cheap.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:07 PM

I've had my Savoy for over 7 months and the honeymoon period still hasn't worn off. It exceeded my expectations and continues to deliver, especially where it counts most--tone and playability. The top looks beautiful and is stiff and taut like a drum. It seems to naturally make a better guitar top than CF (though, properly braced/designed, CF can sound great). The Savoy is incredibly responsive with a wide dynamic range...sounds like wood+. The cutaway is brilliant and it can be played super far up the neck.

I've owned a good two dozen CF guitars since 2003...I'd like to play an El Capitan before I go saying "Ekoa is hands-down better than CF" (though I admit I'm already leaning that way). I think Blackbird was right to go full Ekoa.

Of course we'd all like the prices to be lower, but I'd previously thought the El Cap's price made it out of the question...after the Savoy, I'm thinking it just might be worth it.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:02 AM

Do you mind me asking how you describe the sound of the savoy, to those who have played 1 in person? My buddy had 1 temporarily and from the recording i listened to it was very piano like, a more modern sound to my ears. I also have seen many posts on various threads that compare the savoy and el capitan to Taylor and think 1 said santa cruz, which to my ears are both a modern sound. Curious why there is the 'vintage tone' description attached to this guitar per Blackbird when i mainly see comparisons to 'modern' guitar makers. Wouldnt it be more fair to describe it simply as a woody tone?
Old 02-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

"Vintage tone" is a pure marketing headline, catchy as it should. The Savoy sounds more like a wooden guitar, and is definitely warmer than the few carbon guitars I've heard, but in my opinion it's more a modern type of sound. It actually has its own sound, very "organic" for a composite instrument.
So yes, as a Savoy owner for a bit more than 6 months, I would agree that woody tone is way more accurate than vintage tone to describe it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber