The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-26-2021, 05:17 AM

Default Why have a radiused saddle with a non-radiused fingerboard?

Another "saddle" topic here. I have noticed that some classical/flamenco nylon string guitars have a radiused saddle, while their fingerboards are definitely flat.

The only noticeable effect to me is that it makes the action and fretting the strings progressively harder as you move from the outside E strings towards the center strings. As expected, the higher up the neck you play the worse the effect is.

Is there any reason a classical/flamenco guitar luthier would design a saddle with a radius?
Old 07-26-2021, 12:29 PM

The G string has the lowest tension, which means it is more likely to buzz unless it is raised up a little.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
The G string has the lowest tension, which means it is more likely to buzz unless it is raised up a little.
That makes sense! Thank you.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:53 PM

The saddles on my classical guitar are dead flat to match the fretboard. I have never seen it with an arch before. Unless of course the FB is arched.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
The saddles on my classical guitar are dead flat to match the fretboard. I have never seen it with an arch before. Unless of course the FB is arched.
Maybe the radiused saddle is just used on Flamenco guitars (which are designed for lower action) or maybe just my Cordoba GK Studio model.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair