The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-22-2021, 03:33 AM

Default Another Cedar vs Spruce but...(one by one with very famous cg phrases)

Dear guitar friends,

I made an comparison of my guitars and would like to share with you my experiment which I hope will show us how big the difference is between my cedar and spruce guitar. I am very curious about this process and I hope you will enjoy this experience with me. Have a nice week. I happy for an conversation and hope that you join me in this experiment.

https://youtu.be/RujX31LNbd4

Last edited by michals231; 07-22-2021 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for your comparison. It was interesting, and very well done. Nice playing too!
Both guitars have a quality sound to my ears, but they tend to re-enforce the conventional wisdom that cedar is "warm" and spruce is "bright". Which isn't a bad thing at all in quality instruments that are played adeptly. The better you play, the less muddy cedar sounds, and the less bristly spruce comes across.
Based on the selections you played, I think I would choose the cedar guitar to perform them. If you had played something else, say, decidedly more from the Renaissance period or something more Baroque with counterpoint, the spruce might have been the victor. But suffice it to say, I'm guessing you can make either guitar sound very nice with all repertoire.
My conclusion is that having both guitars gives you that option, i.e. choosing the one which, to your ears, bests suits the music. No?
Thanks for sharing this.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-22-2021, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Nice guitars, great playing. You've inspired me to practice a few of Giuliani's 120 right hand exercises every day for a month!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post

Thanks for your comparison. It was interesting, and very well done. Nice playing too!
Both guitars have a quality sound to my ears, but they tend to re-enforce the conventional wisdom that cedar is "warm" and spruce is "bright". Which isn't a bad thing at all in quality instruments that are played adeptly. The better you play, the less muddy cedar sounds, and the less bristly spruce comes across.
Based on the selections you played, I think I would choose the cedar guitar to perform them. If you had played something else, say, decidedly more from the Renaissance period or something more Baroque with counterpoint, the spruce might have been the victor. But suffice it to say, I'm guessing you can make either guitar sound very nice with all repertoire.
My conclusion is that having both guitars gives you that option, i.e. choosing the one which, to your ears, bests suits the music. No?
Thanks for sharing this.
Dear Andre,
it was very very informative answer. I was enjoying to read it a lot. Actually I am feeling in the same direction. Sometimes I am fighting with myself and want to sell all my guitars and keep the one in the other times I would like to have even more. How ever I appreciate your replay a lot!! Thank you so much! Best regards to you!!!
Old 07-23-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Nice guitars, great playing. You've inspired me to practice a few of Giuliani's 120 right hand exercises every day for a month!

Dear Barry,

thank you very much for so kind respond. Happy about your goal with giuliani. It is always good! I do it also from time to time!! By the way: great fotos and landscapes on your yt channel. The music too!!
Old 07-23-2021, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michals231 View Post
Dear Barry,

thank you very much for so kind respond. Happy about your goal with giuliani. It is always good! I do it also from time to time!! By the way: great fotos and landscapes on your yt channel. The music too!!
Thank you Michals!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical