The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-14-2021, 08:11 AM

Default String Gauge for my new MM 12 resonator

I just purchased a used Michael Messer 12 fret resonator and it was fitted with D'addario 12-53 strings. I'd like to go up one more step to a 13 gauge. I did order the MM resonator Newtone strings in 13-56, but they haven't arrived yet, so I ordered a set of Thomastik Infeld plectrums, which I love on my acoustic guitar because they are a great low tension string. The 13 gauge Thomastik strings I ordered for my MM blues, run 13, 16, 25, 34, 47, 61. My question is, is the 61 going to be too much for the low E string even though it is a very low tension string and i also tune down half step? I don't want to risk any damage to the bridge piece by using a gauge or will it be ok? Thoughts?
Old 07-19-2021, 09:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozeman View Post
I just purchased a used Michael Messer 12 fret resonator and it was fitted with D'addario 12-53 strings. I'd like to go up one more step to a 13 gauge. I did order the MM resonator Newtone strings in 13-56, but they haven't arrived yet, so I ordered a set of Thomastik Infeld plectrums, which I love on my acoustic guitar because they are a great low tension string. The 13 gauge Thomastik strings I ordered for my MM blues, run 13, 16, 25, 34, 47, 61. My question is, is the 61 going to be too much for the low E string even though it is a very low tension string and i also tune down half step? I don't want to risk any damage to the bridge piece by using a gauge or will it be ok? Thoughts?
What exactly is the tension listed on the .061, for instance?

HE
Old 08-01-2021, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Old thread I know, but, I used to think that Resos needed heavy strings, until I realised that they don't , so now I use medium gauge with an extra b (17) on the first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments