The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-08-2021, 09:26 AM

Ready to test drive some strings!

I've got a set of extra light PB strings to try on it. I've got some shellac touch up work to do plus a final polish. Also will need to level/dress frets and do a final setup. I just found a bone saddle that I had laying around and fit it to this slot. I figure I should string it up and let everything settle in before doing fret and setup.

Per StewMac's calculator, the high E is right about where it should be but the low E contact point may need to be moved back at the saddle.

We shall see..

Old 07-08-2021, 02:19 PM

Wearing some ex light PB's..

So far, under tension, the action has moved slightly less than 1/32" putting me right at 4/32" bass and 3/32" treble.

I've got plenty of saddle left to bring that down another 32nd and the nut will need to come down also.

Sounds shimmery and "birchy" lol.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateharmann View Post
Wearing some ex light PB's..

So far, under tension, the action has moved slightly less than 1/32" putting me right at 4/32" bass and 3/32" treble.

I've got plenty of saddle left to bring that down another 32nd and the nut will need to come down also.

Sounds shimmery and "birchy" lol.

Love it! Been following your progress, and it's so cool you brought this cool little piece of American art back to life.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 07-09-2021, 09:31 AM

Thanks Joe and thanks for watching it!

I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out so far. I'm going to do a setup on it today and hopefully get some sound samples 👍

It sounds very nice to me...but I'm no expert in acoustic guitars so I'll let the recordings speak for themselves.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:38 PM

Here's a quick little demo of this guitar. It really sounds much better than I could have imagined and it plays very easy now. The action has settled in at 3/32" on the low E at the 12th fret and appears to be staying there. I've also swapped the tuners out on it.

The sound is very good in the mid and treble. The bass is not stellar but still sounds good. It definitely sounds way better (imho) than the smaller parlor size Stellas. It sounds really great strummed...all of the voices blend together nicely. It was wearing phosphor bronze 10-50's for the demo.

The neck relief is measuring a bit under 1/32" at the 8th fret so I think I could easily drop the action down to 5/32" and it will still play just fine. I will also be dropping a bone nut in there and playing around with finding the optimum strings for it. We will call this a success for now! lol

Last edited by tateharmann; 07-17-2021 at 08:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair