The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-27-2021, 07:37 AM

Default NGD godin 5th Avenue acoustic

Just picked up a older but like new condition model off of local Facebook marketplace for $300. Came with the original TRIC case. It had very corroded PB strings on it. I've got D'addario Chromes 11-50 on it right now. I've never could get past the brightness of PB when new.

It's got the newer graphtech bridge assembly on it. I've already ordered a rosewood assembly from Stewmac. I plan on dumping the tusq nut & installing a bone nut later.

FWIW I owned one about 10-15 years ago and loved it. But I sold it to buy an Eastman AR803 or 805. Biggest mistake I've made. I was never happy with the unplugged sound out of the Eastman & the finish would chip after the slightest bump.

Very happy to have a godin archtop acoustic back in the house.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 06-27-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
...I've got D'addario Chromes 11-50 on it right now. I never could get past the brightness of PB when new...
Speaking as a fellow Godin owner (5th Avenue acoustic and CW II electric) the D'A Chrome 11's are a great electric string - they're my go-to for my Gretsch electrics - but you're losing a lot of acoustic tone/volume. If you need something mellower than PB, try a set of Martin Retro Monels; I've got a set of MM13's on my 5th Avenue, and they have a real prewar vibe once you break them in (about 1-2 weeks of regular playing) - punchy with strong mids and a subdued top end, along with a slinkier feel than comparable-gauge PB's/80-20's (somewhat of a paradox, since they have slightly higher tension than either). BTW if you're concerned about the extra tension, don't be - I had PB 14's on mine until I discovered the Monels (I use it strictly as a comp box) - haven't had any issues since day one, and IME a simple bridge/truss rod adjustment should bring yours up to spec ...
Old 06-27-2021, 03:53 PM

Thanks for your advice on strings. I've got a set of D'addario nickel bronze set up as next in my trials when these chromes need to be changed

The Monel's you suggested will be ordered & get tried out after the NB set.

Dave
Old 06-28-2021, 12:20 AM

I was goofing around with one of these a few days ago, the base model with no cutaway and one pickup... by the end of the session I had it run through a Boss acoustic pre-amp and into a bass amp ( was gettin some weird looks at that point). The sound was big, full, and organic, and the Bass amp's overdrive channel and blend controls could make some really nice overdrive tones too.

I'm no jazz player, but I really think I could get that 5th ave to sound about as good as any of my piezo equiped acoustics for a singer songwrighter type performance, or gain it up and blast some classic rock tunes with the drummer down the street... I really expect I'll own one shortly.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:33 AM

The vid that sparked my quest to play one of these fine guitars. Given the collection of high dollar guitars that Jeff Martin owns and plays, its pretty amazing to see him playing a guitar that retails for as little as the Godin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3y6LpJ5wg0
Old 06-28-2021, 04:47 AM

I play primarily unplugged, so this is perfect for me. It works for a lot of my chord melody tunes / fingerstyle stuff.

If I ever decide to add a pickup, it'll be some type of floating pickup with stealth like controls. ✌☺
Old 06-28-2021, 09:02 PM

Enjoy your Kingpin - they do have a voice that's great for the type of playing you describe. I have the single P90 model but use it unplugged better than 1/2 the time. I also 2nd Steve's recommendation on the Monel Retro 13's. They sound good and last a long time.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

The 5th Avenue line is awesome. I should get over the 1.72" nut width and just buy one. Enjoy it in good health!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops