The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 06-20-2021, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Joni Mitchell... tribute to "Blue" at 50

This article was in the Times today... wonderful tribute to "Blue." They asked 25 musicians to discuss the impact of that album as it turns 50 this week. Sorry if it's behind a pay wall.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

"Carey"
Old 06-20-2021, 07:17 PM
Guitar Honey

Joni is an amazing songwriter, musician and vocalist (before smoking kind of ruined it). She was my inspiration when I was a kid learning to play guitar. I loved her early stuff, but lost track of her during her mid and later years. Would have to re-listen to Blue to remember it. I heard it had really good reviews tho.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:04 PM

She's an absolute treasure. Nobody writes like Joni...or ever will.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-20-2021, 08:28 PM

I read it and listened to the album earlier today. I really enjoyed it. Nicely done.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

That’s a great piece. About a total singularity of an album. I was not the type to be into an album like that as a kid or as a young man, but in my late teens and early 20’s I absolutely loved that album. Listened to it constantly. Didn’t understand what I loved about it, but it was just so undeniable. She was (and is) a genius on so many levels…

-Ray
Old 06-21-2021, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Really interesting article and tribute. Joni's music is so unique, personal and beautiful. I'll be giving my well worn copy a spin again today. Thank you for sharing Kerbie!
Old 06-21-2021, 09:26 AM

Slowly and belatedly we've come (as a music culture) to recognize that Joni Mitchell was operating at an amazing level of effective originality.

Which is odd in a way. This is isn't a Nick Drake or a jazz composer that operated mostly in obscurity, known only to "those in the know." Her LP's regularly charted. Most of us were aware of her and had heard her songs. And before she recorded there are multiple stories of her being "discovered" -- and those stories usually have a format like

"There's this girl I know who writes songs you should hear"

Response: "Yeah, sure. Why bother me with that."

"No, this is different." The forced listen to a song to two happens over the blasé objections.

"Oh {expletive deleted}!"

I think the reason for this path is that effective originally sometimes builds in it's effect over time. We can often recognize it quickly if we have open ears, yes, but the full effect happens as you absorb it and slowly gather what genius merely brought into existence just like that out of where ever that comes from.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-26-2021, 01:10 PM

Default Joni Mitchell's "Blue" at 50.

The quintessential confessional singer-songwriter album.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...eWeekenderLink
Old 06-27-2021, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

…super great article…thx for that…

….for me….such a big deal musically speaking….a folk singer stepping far past traditional boundaries in so many ways….. reshaping it onto something nobody ever saw coming…..I’m a guy…and I wanted to be Joni Mitchell…..I got over it but she’s still the one from that era that spoke to my heart more than anyone else…musically and lyrically….
Old 06-27-2021, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Slowly and belatedly we've come (as a music culture) to recognize that Joni Mitchell was operating at an amazing level of effective originality.

Which is odd in a way. This is isn't a Nick Drake or a jazz composer that operated mostly in obscurity, known only to "those in the know." Her LP's regularly charted. Most of us were aware of her and had heard her songs. And before she recorded there are multiple stories of her being "discovered" -- and those stories usually have a format like

"There's this girl I know who writes songs you should hear"

Response: "Yeah, sure. Why bother me with that."

"No, this is different." The forced listen to a song to two happens over the blasé objections.

"Oh {expletive deleted}!"

I think the reason for this path is that effective originally sometimes builds in it's effect over time. We can often recognize it quickly if we have open ears, yes, but the full effect happens as you absorb it and slowly gather what genius merely brought into existence just like that out of where ever that comes from.

…I appreciate the take and also note that there were a lot of Jonis fans that did take note of her extraordinary originality and musical sophistication….I think that like all the true pioneering giants of their genres…..the greatness of their achievement does build even more recognition and respect as time puts it into perspective….

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN