The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-07-2021, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Wow! Thanks to all. Lots of solid information here. I'm just going to have to go and try some out!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-07-2021, 09:30 PM

If it’s your first instrument get a concert size. The stretches are easier, but if you play guitar and want to try a uke, go straight to a tenor as you’ll like the extra room up the neck. Just buy one from a store that will do a good setup for you. TheUkuleleSite.com or Mimsukes.com are highly recommended to make it very comfortable to play! Good luck!
Old 06-08-2021, 07:31 AM

Speaking of "up the neck," good intonation up high is one of the things that separates the okay ukes from the good to great ones. Especially in the smaller sizes. Trouble is, if you're a new player your touch will wreck your intonation more than the instrument will, so it's not easy to judge.

Couch Standards
Old 06-08-2021, 09:59 PM

without knowing much of anything about ukes specifically, this looks pretty fun:
https://shop.fender.com/en-US/dhani-...=dhaniharrison
Old 06-09-2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislongAgain View Post
without knowing much of anything about ukes specifically, this looks pretty fun:
https://shop.fender.com/en-US/dhani-...=dhaniharrison

I started with a laminated Cordoba concert. Tenor is my preferred size. It’s a slippery slope, once you get into the ukulele - before I knew it, I had 9 of them!

I saw Dhani when he opened for ELO a couple of years ago. He was playing a Kala tenor travel uke that had been played so much the top had additional holes worn into it.

(At least he comes by the instrument honestly - his father had countless numbers of them)
Old 06-09-2021, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

For that classic Hawaiian strum, nothing beats a soprano, but everything else will want a concert or tenor. I started on a concert Fluke. These are not toys besides most being plastic except the top. I moved to the basic solid wood Ponos. Mine is mahogany, but acacia and mango available. They go for around $400 and are very good sounding and are well made. I ventured into the +$1k territory and didn't hear much difference. It isn't koa though.

I've never understood low G. The high G is the uke sound to me. Don't play mine anymore because I took up mandolin.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-09-2021, 03:08 PM

shima ukes (jake shimabukuro) now offers a $400 tenor model that looks very nice.
it also features a “wide” neck, although the website doesn't specify what that is.
http://shimaukulele.com/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments