The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-09-2021, 01:09 PM

Default Second life for my guitar strings.

I've been using Earthwood PB Medium Lights on my Collings OM1 and have been very happy with the sound but after 3 weeks they needed changed.....which was not unreasonable. But as an experiment I left them on past week three and now at week 6 they have taken on a second life that I really like. Different but just like the new strings gave my callings a great new sound the dead Earthwoods have done the same.
Has anyone else experienced this with any strings?
Old 05-09-2021, 04:40 PM

Oh yes! Every brand of string I've ever used had those same two lives.

New and great for about a month or so and then dead. Various stages of dead if they stayed around, but I never enjoyed that second life, the dead phase.

Not to say a guitar can't sound really good with dead strings, just that I don't enjoy the overall dead string, second life.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-09-2021, 05:00 PM

I typically get a few weeks out of EJ17s before I change them. But one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played was an older D18GE I received in a trade from a local gentleman. I asked what strings were on it, and they were EJ17s...which were a year old and were played regularly. I don't know if I could go that long but that guitar did sound amazing.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

I don't change strings near as much as I used to. But I still find I prefer the sound and feel of new strings. Changed 'em today.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:23 PM

I put a set of roto's 12-54 and at first they sounded different more rounded than the earthwoods I like but now all of sudden they sound weird, even out of tune up and down the neck, and it's only been a week. I can see the next new set I bought going on soon LaBellas
I've got a set of earthwoods on stand by
Old 05-09-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeorge View Post
I've been using Earthwood PB Medium Lights on my Collings OM1 and have been very happy with the sound but after 3 weeks they needed changed.....which was not unreasonable. But as an experiment I left them on past week three and now at week 6 they have taken on a second life that I really like. Different but just like the new strings gave my callings a great new sound the dead Earthwoods have done the same.
Has anyone else experienced this with any strings?
In my very strange opinion, I never think of guitar strings as dead.
But, do I like the sound and the feel.
If I don't I might not change them, if I do I might. Backwards?
Then sometimes, just for the heck of it, I change them for no reason.
I hate piano wire strings and never hesitate to change them and I hate too light strings that just cannot hold the right tune and never hesitate to change them.
PBs seem to always be a good choice, though, in my book.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion