The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-08-2021, 02:18 PM

As some people have mentioned, richlite is more environmentally friendly, easier to maintain, stronger and more stable than ebony. In 35 years of playing I have owned rosewood, ebony and richlite and have never felt a better feel on either one and I very much doubt that the material used for the fingerboard can change. the sound of a guitar.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:01 PM

Don't MOST Gibson acoustics have rosewood (or some other wood like walnut) fingerboards?
And hasn't that ALWAYS been the case?
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 05-08-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Don't MOST Gibson acoustics have rosewood (or some other wood like walnut) fingerboards?
And hasn't that ALWAYS been the case?
j-60s had ebony
j-45 deluxes have ebony
but ya...generally it is a good bet

Last edited by Scotso; 05-08-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Last time I checked ( it was a few yrs ago) Ebony finger board blanks were much cheaper that Richlite.
They are about the same price these days.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Old 05-08-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartamis View Post
As some people have mentioned, richlite is more environmentally friendly, easier to maintain, stronger and more stable than ebony. In 35 years of playing I have owned rosewood, ebony and richlite and have never felt a better feel on either one and I very much doubt that the material used for the fingerboard can change. the sound of a guitar.
Why would you believe fingerboard material can't affect sound? I recognize you weren't declaring it to be a fact.

I disagree merely because I think every component in a guitar can affect the tone. Like you, I'm not declaring it as an established fact, it just seems more plausible, and I've read that same belief in comments by multiple luthiers.

Perhaps the word "change" should be defined. I'm defining it as affecting the sound in some slight way, not making a dynamic alteration of the guitar tone.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-08-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
So you think Taylor may have refused to sell to some companies, which is why these companies produce nothing anymore with ebony?
No, if anything quite the opposite - that the companies refusing to use ebony are refusing to buy it from what is otherwise a competitor. I think Taylor will sell to anyone - but anyone who buys is increasing Taylor’s bottom line.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:06 PM

Uh...where did you guys get the impression that Taylor controls ALL the ebony in the world now?
BTW, they don't.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Old 05-08-2021, 04:11 PM

Obviously they don’t have all of it, but they probably have the majority of it. And it’s all documented and easy to move.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:34 PM

It isn't a question of ebony vs synthetic. There are many, many different timbers suitable for making fretboards. From this continent alone we are seeing common use of Mulga, Gidgee, River Sheoak, Drooping Sheoak, Satin Box, and two or three I forget, and these are just a handful of the thousands (yes, thousands) of species available. Acacia and casurinas alone number well over 1000 species, and some are available in quantities the entire world guitar industry would struggle to dent - I'm thinking of Mulga in particular here, but also River Sheoak, and neither one is used for anything else much. And we haven't even touched on the eucalypts, the corymbias, the grevilleas, or the callitrises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Ham View Post
[Taylor are] also trying out stained eucalyptus.
They are actually using Blue Gum, which is a weird choice for a fretboard timber. You'd think something hard and dense and naturally stable would be far better - for example, Red Gum or Spotted Gum if we are talking eucalypts. But presumably they know what they are doing.

For acoustic guitars, the fingerboard timber is a significant contributor to the tone, or so the makers tell us. Essentially, the harder the timber, the more treble response the instrument has. There are any number of hard, stable timbers to be investigated.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartamis View Post
I very much doubt that the material used for the fingerboard can change. the sound of a guitar.
Actually, it does, quite a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Clark
The harder the finger board the less bass you have and the more top end you get. Fingerboards have a very big effect on the sound of an acoustic guitar. - https://coleclarkguitars.com/about-c...uitar-timbers/
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Okay, so you're saying such as Godin and Gibson could use ebony but choose not to because of the hassle of obtaining it legally and the practical issues that arise with preserving and working with dense woods.
I didn't mention either Godin or Gibson.

You asked why manufacturers would chose one over the other. I attempted to answer that general question and provide reasons why manufacturers might want to use alternatives to ebony.

I have no idea of the specifics that went on behind closed doors at Godin or Gibson that resulted in their discontinuing the use of ebony.

Quote:
What still seems a little odd, though, is how these two companies changed almost overnight to a complete conversion to Richlite. I would have thought that a changeover like this might be more gradual, with ebony being kept for certain models and Richlite used for others.
Clearly, they made a business decision to do so. It could be economics, it could be supply, it could be price...

Quote:
Gibson and Martin are the two big boys of American acoustic guitar making. It seems a little odd that they should be so diametrically opposed in their attitudes to fretboard material and the relative importance of sticking with a traditional material as opposed to striking out with something new.
I can't speak for either Gibson or Martin. However, Martin's business is very heavily based on tradition, Gibson's business less so. Continuing to use ebony would likely appeal to traditionalists.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Having owned ebony, rosewood, and several other species of fretboard, i can say that Richlite is preferable to any of the non-ebony woods, in my hands. Ive had a Martin Jeff Tweedy 00 (richlite) thats been strung in tune and played for 10 years, that has no signs of wear or needed any work. And it looks good after that time with no treatments.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-08-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Last time I checked ( it was a few yrs ago) Ebony finger board blanks were much cheaper that Richlite.
They are. Ebony blanks are cheaper still than the Rocklite product that I like a lot.

Luthier's Mercantile is now selling torrified purpleheart fretboard blanks and will soon also supply headstock overlays, bridge blanks, and other sizes of this material. This looks to be promising as an ebony substitute.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Why would you believe fingerboard material can't affect sound? I recognize you weren't declaring it to be a fact.

I disagree merely because I think every component in a guitar can affect the tone. Like you, I'm not declaring it as an established fact, it just seems more plausible, and I've read that same belief in comments by multiple luthiers.

Perhaps the word "change" should be defined. I'm defining it as affecting the sound in some slight way, not making a dynamic alteration of the guitar tone.
No I am not declaring that it is a fact but I have serious doubts.

Of course to prove my point of view it would be necessary to do a test with two identical models, one with richlite and the other with ebony, but I very much doubt that the difference would be audible.

I've played richlite guitars that sound amazing, and I've played ebony guitars with poor sounding, and the reverse is also true.

You know on this earth there are people who believe that gold-colored tuners will make the guitar sound better than silver, or that a beige binding will sound better than a white binding, luckily I am not there in my passion for guitars.

But the beauty of this world is that we are free to think however we want and I respect that.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
I'll assure you that musical instrument production barely REGISTERS in the world's use of timber.
Are you kidding? You have half a rain forest listed in your signature.... :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion