The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2021, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls82261 View Post
Here are a couple of widespread shops that I haven't heard mentioned yet. Both friendly.
Pickers Supply in Fredericksburg VA
J.B. Hart Music in Grand Junction CO
Pickers Supply in Fredericksburg is a very nice shop with lots of vintage instruments. Very knowledgeable and accommodating staff as well.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-15-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
An update on Artisan Guitars in TN. They used to be in Franklin, but they are now in Nashville, along with Gruhn, Carter's and the others. I spoke to them on the phone the other day. I think they said they moved right around the time COVID hit.

scott memmer
That's a bummer. I liked their spot in the Factory mainly because there was a restaurant there (Mojo's Tacos) that had killer tacos and good beer. Their inventory is first rate.

scott
Old 04-15-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

my mind races reading about all these great dream shops around the country. Wouldn't it be a dream vacation to take an extended trip around the country visiting these shops?

In reality, my pockets aren't deep enough, and house are not large enough to contain all that I would like to bring home...
Old 04-15-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solosdad View Post
L.A. Guitar Sales on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood California. Over many years I shopped there with the expert guidance from the owners Ted and Helene. A great selection of guitars and great online service as well.
I've only talked to Ted. I live on the East Coast so it would be a wee bit of a journey for me. But he seemed to be a nice guy.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 04-15-2021, 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=catndahats;6691196]my mind races reading about all these great dream shops around the country. Wouldn't it be a dream vacation to take an extended trip around the country visiting these shops?

I'm about to do just that this week!
Old 04-15-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Please make a post after you return!
And, have fun Mr. Bojangles.

[QUOTE=Mr Bojangles;6691261]
Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
my mind races reading about all these great dream shops around the country. Wouldn't it be a dream vacation to take an extended trip around the country visiting these shops?

I'm about to do just that this week!
Old 04-15-2021, 11:21 AM

Fuller's Guitars in Houston.
And Thunder Road in Seattle and Portland.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeWalker View Post
Norman’s Rare Guitars in LA
He’s posted numerous videos with just about every major rock star in LA playing guitar in the shop.

Norm is a hoot but the shop isn’t quite the wild same since Mark Agnessi left and went to work for Martin
I thought he went to Gibson?
Old 04-15-2021, 01:25 PM

FWIW I live in Denver and have been to Olde Town Pickin' Parlor (fairly well known and mentioned here) and Denver Folklore, which is another local fave...

I wouldn't go out of my way to visit either though (unless you're looking for a Bourgeois, which Denver Folklore carries and has a few in stock). Guitars Etc. in Longmont is a much larger, more impressive store, though a bit more electric than acoustic, they have a ton of Collings and Martins in stock.

Wildwood was also mentioned but their showroom remains closed. The others above have been open most of the last year.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestralkane View Post
The Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield Missouri usually has some great stuff. Really friendly guys. I try to get in there whenever I visit family in the area.
I was just there on Monday. Great shop and like you mentioned they were very friendly. I should have a NGD coming up within the next week or two because of that visit.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post

In reality, my pockets aren't deep enough, and house are not large enough to contain all that I would like to bring home...
After I'm fully vaccinated in another 5 weeks I plan to start making small trips like that, either 3 days or so at a time to individual cities or a week or two to a region.

Last year I purchased a wartime 000-21 that turned out to be a dud - fortunately only out about $300 for shipping to return (and a nail biting experience as UPS 'lost' that guitar for 3 days)... after that experience feel it's worth it's worth it to spend a bit more than that and have access to a bunch of vintage examples, increase my experience (so I can hear what a truly great vintage instrument sounds like), get to check out a new town. Nashville will be my first trip, then I'll likely do something like a 1-2 week to the NE and check out places in Philly, NYC, etc. My pocketbook is not wide open, just looking for the 'one' and trying to keep it to something in the teens pricewise.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

The problem is, no guitar shop has the kind of inventory that we are accustomed to. It's like going to an art museum to find out all their Monets are loaned out.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-15-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
In the Washington DC area, Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in Wheaton, MD is awesome - they are a bit of a throwback in that unlike most of these stores on this list, they are a general music megastore. Make no mistake about it - although I'm sure they are easily in the top 15 of all retailers for sales of Martin, Taylor, and Gibson, they also have move an incredible amount of inventory for electrics, basses, and any type of amplification you can think of. What sets them apart is they also have world class selection of synthesizers, drums, lighting, violas, oboes, French horns, English horns, bassoons, $12,000+ handmade tubas - their motto is "everything in music" and they really mean it.

I also love that they are family run organization, and the original founder's kids and grandkids are continuing the family tradition.
I was gonna say Chuck Levin's too because it's a true well rounded shop with drums, keyboards, guitars and something for the whole band.

Pickers Supply in Fredericksburg is a great guitar shop for vintage guitars.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
The problem is, no guitar shop has the kind of inventory that we are accustomed to. It's like going to an art museum to find out all their Monets are loaned out.
... or all their Manets are just mustard

-Mike
Old 04-15-2021, 02:26 PM

Stores I have actually visited -
  • Dream Guitars - outside of Asheville, N.C.
  • Harry and Jean West - Statesville, N.C. (An eclectic assortment of instruments. They have a Ditson offered for sale but it has been offered for sale for the last 10 years.)
  • Gryphon Stringed Instruments - Palo Alto, CA
  • Mass Street Music - Lawerence, KS
  • Mandolin Brothers - New York, NY (Closed)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion