The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
An update on Artisan Guitars in TN. They used to be in Franklin, but they are now in Nashville, along with Gruhn, Carter's and the others. I spoke to them on the phone the other day. I think they said they moved right around the time COVID hit.

scott memmer
Yep. Really beautiful new store just five minutes from Broadway (the Honky Tonk district.)
Old 04-14-2021, 11:49 AM

The Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield Missouri usually has some great stuff. Really friendly guys. I try to get in there whenever I visit family in the area.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
My experience is limited, but I can recommend two shops personally...both within driving distance from me...

Mass Street Music - Lawrence, KS
Eddie’s Guitars - St. Louis, MO
Eddie's is a great place if you are serious about buying a high end guitar. Fabulous selection and personalized service. They are not a tire kicker place as they are appointment only.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:56 AM

A word of caution to the OP. Before you visit these places, check their websites to make sure that their showrooms are open, or if you need to make an appointment. Many places are either closed or by appointment only due to covid.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

BTW, about ten years ago I made an agreement with myself that has saved me a LOT of money.

Here it is: Whenever I know I'm going into a boutique guitar shop with lots of expensive playthings, I intentionally take my wallet out of my pocked and leave it in my car. I can't tell you how effectively this has protected my retirement savings.

Case in Point (I've told this story several times on AGF): About five years ago I was at McCabe's in Santa Monica. Inside their high-end room they had one of the most amazing D-18s you'd ever want to play. I don't play a lot of expensive guitars, but this was one of the finest dreadnoughts I've ever played. I mean, they had this thing completely dialed in. I ran out of that store so fast, it'd make your head spin. Thank God I'd left my wallet in the car.

The comeuppance of this story is even funnier. I posted that story in AGF about a year after it happened. Within that thread another AGF member posted, "I was in McCabe's around that time. I played that D-18! It was SICK!" Turns out the guy was from somewhere in the midwest and had heard so much about McCabe's that when his job took him to L.A. for business he made a visit. So whomever was the lucky recipient of that D-18 owns a real treasure. I own an excellent older HD-28, but this was a whole level above.

scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 04-14-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:12 PM

I was in both Gruhn's and Carter's in 2018. We got there in the morning, right after they opened. I found both to be very friendly and accommodating, no "aloofness" at either place. At Gruhn's, I was with a friend who was serious about a couple of high end Martins. He didn't end up buying anything, but they gave him a free hat anyway!
Carter's was equally friendly. I actually ended up buying a guitar from them, so I got a free hat from there.

Dusty Strings is also a very nice place. I got a Snark from there, but no hat...
I think it helps to go to these places early in the day, before the crowds.

-BKinBWA
Old 04-14-2021, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

+1 for Gryphon and Sylvan in Northern California. Mighty Fine Guitars in Lafayette is also good.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:21 PM

1. Chicago Music Exchange (by far the most impressive and expansive music store I have ever visited). I have buying experience as well - all positive.
2. Willcut Guitars
3. Midwood Guitar Studio
4. Gryphon Strings
5. Guitar Showcase
Old 04-14-2021, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Texas Vintage Shops

Im a vintage Gibson guy but not above looking at a Martin, not many options in Texas, Fullers and Rockin Robin in Houston, Austin Vintage in Austin, Jimmy Wallace in Garland (Dallas). My favorite though is in OKC, Horn Trading Company, its like Im back in the 60's going with my dad on a Gibson hunt. Honest Rons there in OKC is great too, bought a '46 Script LG-2 there about a month ago and Ron is a hoot.
I was at Gruhn's and Carter's about two weeks ago, selection is off a little as it is everywhere, George and Walter were distant but their staff was really great. With covid both places ask that you make an appointment and wear a mask. One highlight of this trip was going to Baxendale Guitar in Athens Georgia, got a tour of the shop where the X brace conversions take place, came home from there with a dead mint '41 Kalamazoo Sport in original case. Great topic, always on the hunt for honey holes.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Nashville, TN
https://guitars.com/

Nashville, TN
https://cartervintage.com/

Lexington, MA
https://themusicemporium.com/

Littleton, NH
https://northernlightsmusic.com/

Manchester, NH
https://manchestermusicmill.com/

Ashland, NH
https://www.vintagefretshop.com/

Last edited by FingahPickah; 04-15-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Aww, you beat me to it! I’ve never been to any of the other shops mentioned, but I expect Acoustic Music is a step down from some of them. Like, not road trip worthy on their own but if your travels take you within 45 minutes of them definitely worth a side trip. That’s not meant as a slight, just a reflection of the small size of the shop. The staff are always friendly and knowledgeable.

I’m sure your trip is going to be great. If tomorrow’s weather is like today’s it’ll be a good day to take the 2002.
Well, my search didn’t last long. I played about a half dozen of their OM and 00 sized guitars and bought a Collings 002H 14 fret, which I should get next week sometime when we’re home from this road trip.

Dan Carrano was great. Shut me up in a room by myself with a bunch of guitars I pre-selected, and only occasionally stuck in his head to ask if I wanted to try something else or make a suggestion. Probably one of the most relaxed no pressure guitar buying experiences I’ve had.

And yes today’s weather is gorgeous. After the morning fun, my ever-patient wife and I continued on to Newport, RI, which we’re looking forward to visiting again after many years.

(Unfortunately, no BMW 2002. It’s been gone from my garage — but not my heart — for many years. 1973 Artic Blue.)
Old 04-15-2021, 03:36 AM

It's not a " guitar shop" per se
But my son and I took a 3 1/2 hour drive
To Sweetwater in Ft. Wayne Indiana.
We expected to see a very large music store
With a separate online sales team.
What we saw was HUGE
.Almost the size of a university campus.
Coffee shops, returaunt,
Their own hair stylist and medical center.
And many game centers and lounges
For their employees who seemed very happy to work there.
Also they have Almost all their catalog items displayed to try!

Last edited by rgregg48; 04-15-2021 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-15-2021, 04:51 AM

Here are a couple of widespread shops that I haven't heard mentioned yet. Both friendly.
Pickers Supply in Fredericksburg VA
J.B. Hart Music in Grand Junction CO
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3
Old 04-15-2021, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Blues Angel Music in Pensacola FL.

If you find yourself vacationing in the Florida panhandle it is well worth the effort to make the trek to Pensacola.

D
Old 04-15-2021, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

The best i have visited (I live near Chicago) are:
- Chicago Music Exchange - they had a great used guitar selection. Maybe less now. The best way to buy used guitar is to try it and compare with others on the same rack. I got my Collings there.
- Carter Vintage - sold my old Gre
- Gruen’s
- Down Home guitars - highest fraction of high end guitars. The sponsor a great summer bluegrass festival (next year)
- Gryphon - Really nice atmosphere
- Old Time School - not a special selection but a really special place. You can visit John Lennon’s and Big Bill Broonzy’s guitars.

Martin D28 (1988)
Guild JF30
Voyage Air MD-02
Collings D1
Bourgeois vintage OM

Last edited by Rjlipton; 04-15-2021 at 07:08 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion