The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-09-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
My understanding is that it used to be a model that ZumSteel made, but eventually they stopped making it and licensed the specs to Doug Ernest and he started Stage One Steel Guitars.

Generally, the pedal steel guitar forum regards this guitar as low pro-level instead of beginner instrument. My experience so far reflects that. It is not cheaply made, and it sounds incredible.
You are absolutely correct. Anybody in the pedal steel scene is very aware of StageOne pedal steel guitars. Doug Ernest has an exceptional reputation of building solid, reliable, good sounding steels. That StageOne when worked up by Bruce Zumsteg was a breakthrough in entry level stage ready guitars. Before that anything that wasn’t a full blown custom build was very iffy in quality.

CNC machining and delrin bushings with interchangeable parts and good solid slab maple cabinets give these guitars excellent tuning stability and a long playing life. A drop of lube(preferably sewing machine oil)once in a while and you have a lifetime instrument!
They aren’t easy to play, but they sound glorious! Just like David Letterman said “it’s like flying a helicopter”
Old 03-09-2021, 10:21 PM

Took a few more pictures.

Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 03-10-2021, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
Took a few more pictures.

Ya Got It All, Bro--Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-25-2023, 07:19 AM

Default Interesting Tuning I use

I like using really light gauge strings for easier playability on the Fender Pedal Steel Guitar so that I don't need to use as much force to activate those Pedals & Knee Levers. The string set I'm using is a Prototype D'addario (Octave4Plus copy) Ultra-Light Gauge Nickel Plated Steel Wound Pedal Steel String set w/ All Wound Strings (the highest string is a .005w). The tuning I use on the Fender Pedal Steel Guitar is a Minor Third above the Popular Nashville E9 Tuning, it's called "Nashville G9 Terz Tuning".
Old 04-25-2023, 04:05 PM

Hey,
congrats on your new steel.
For twenty years I thought about purchasing a steel and never did because I knew it will require a lot of work and time spent. I already play a number of stringed instruments, and yes, they need to get played and practiced.
Finally, two months a go I bought my first pedal steel - and I love it, though it's a beast. I practiced nearly every day and I never regret so far. My lap steel, Dobro and Weissenborn experience help. Just a magical instrument !

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 04-26-2023, 07:23 AM

Default Figured it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
Hey,
congrats on your new steel.
For twenty years I thought about purchasing a steel and never did because I knew it will require a lot of work and time spent. I already play a number of stringed instruments, and yes, they need to get played and practiced.
Finally, two months a go I bought my first pedal steel - and I love it, though it's a beast. I practiced nearly every day and I never regret so far. My lap steel, Dobro and Weissenborn experience help. Just a magical instrument !
G9 Nashville Terz Tuning is an interesting Tuning I came up with. It's based on the Popular E9 Nashville Tuning but raised up a Minor Third which gives it a brighter sound.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11141827 View Post
G9 Nashville Terz Tuning is an interesting Tuning I came up with. It's based on the Popular E9 Nashville Tuning but raised up a Minor Third which gives it a brighter sound.
Thanks ! I have to try this !

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 04-26-2023, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! Looks like a lot of fun as long as your brain copes with 10 strings. Last year I got both 6 and 8 string Gold Tone square neck resonator guitars and found the 8-string much more difficult to play. I am still playing the 6-string, but the 8-string spends most of its time in my closet.

My 6-string lap steel with two Certano benders is as close as I will ever get to a lap steel. If I was 30 or 40 years younger your post would have triggered PSGAS and I would be looking for the "Buy Now" button.

Have Fun!
Old 04-26-2023, 11:40 PM

I bought a vintage Emmons GS10 ten years ago. This is a great sounding push-pull, but it’s old and cranky and noisy and difficult to play. I should have bought a Stage One, which was an option, but, no, I had to have push-pull. Not the first time I’ve screwed myself with a concept.

Anyway, I made good progress, but without a band to play in, the practice time got invested in other things and the steel finally got put away.

They are difficult as sin to play. Hands, knees, feet, parallax. I’ll get back to it some day. They are inversion machines. Good luck and have fun
Eastman MDA-315
2021 Karsten Schnoor Custom B&D Style 5 tenor banjo
2019 Schnoor Weymann (orphaned pot) conversion
1958 Gibson ES-125T
1967 Emmons GS-10
1976 Fender Telecaster (“Ohmygodthisweighsaton”)
Lots and lots of other stuff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments