The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsinni View Post
It came new with the nut misplaced...
Hey, me too, on my $1236 Larrivee!

Gibson ES-330
Old 05-05-2008, 02:13 PM

Ehm okey, you guys have given me some things to think about for sure

My friend at the store also offered me a BR-140 + case for xxx$..also sounds like a good deal. The main problem with all this isn't the guitars in particular, it's the avaliability of them. Since the Blueridges are situated in a local store and the Taylor in a store a bit out of town, it's "easier" for me to pick the cause it's just a short walk from here.

So, I think I'll go play the Blueridges a bit more, to make up my mind (although i really can't do that atm). But thanks for your help, and if anyone want to give some additional input, feel free to do so!

Last edited by cotten; 05-05-2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Think about our rule against posting guitar prices, please.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:35 PM

thats a very good deal, maybe you can get him to throw in a case for free.

very very nice guitar, especially with a pro setup.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenius View Post
thats a very good deal.
No it isn't. A quick search on the Net will show you several lower prices at stores mentioned on the forum.
Gibson ES-330
Old 05-05-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
No it isn't. A quick search on the Net will show you several lower prices at stores mentioned on the forum.
one of the better prices I've seen on the web or in any store...........but always room to negotiate
Old 05-05-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenius View Post
just a question but......................, why would you buy a guitar with the nut misplaced, and with a sound/tone that you didn't like?
Ordered it online. I based the decision of reading boards like this. Everyone raved about them so I thought I would give it a shot. I would have sent it back during the three day window, but the guy who I ordered it from is a good guy and I didn't feel right making him restock the guitar because I ordered something without really knowing what I wanted.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Well it's my mistake. It wasn't a BR-140. Can't remember exactly what Bluridge it was, but it was one of these 2:

BR-163

BR-143
Old 05-05-2008, 04:08 PM

''my BR-43CE. It came new with the nut misplaced "'

Kitsini,
maybe the nut is not glued in and you can slide it in to place after removing the strings; some manufacturers don't glue the nut.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:47 PM

Hello, I am new here and have been kinda checking things out for a while. I absolutely love Taylor guitars but have yet to purchase one. I have friends who are professional musicians, that are Taylor die hard fans. I have played the Blueridge that you are contemplating. I almost bought it but I decided to step up to a better named and playablity guitar. I bought me another Takamine. I really like Taks and do not regret the difference in the price. Here is a link to the Tak I got. http://www.musicpower.com/itemdesc.a...TWDJ-EGSF15SC#
I bought mine at a local shop versus online. It is a very solid built and has a great tone and sound plugged in or not. If you get the chance I would try one. I don't think you would be disappointed. After I bought this one I almost quit playng my others.
~ Buck

Last edited by T.L. Buck; 05-05-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:49 PM

I have never played a Taylor. All i can say is that my BR-43 beats the Seagull Dread and Folk guitars by a long shot in sound, fit and finish. I have no complaints about it whatsoever, and wish I had started out with one-it is great for fingerpicking and strumming (now if only I knew how to strum, but...). I have knocked it over onto the floor. I live in MN and pay no attention to humidity. I just came back from 6 weeks in the desert with it and paid no attention to humidity. Its as good as the day I bought it. I have recently thought of trying some higher priced guitars because my skills and ears are improving, but I dont think any guitar can beat an equally priced Blueridge (based mostly on hearsay, but lots of it).
Old 05-05-2008, 07:11 PM

Sound really is in the ear of the beholder. We are all different and all have our own preferences on both sound and guitars. I have two Blueridges, matching customs a BR 143-2 and BR 140-2 both with 1 3/4 nuts. Both are tone monsters and came with excellent set up and playability. I also played both first before purchasing which is something I recommend doing if your going to buy one.

However, the Blueridges tone is more along the Martin line than Taylors, therefore your really comparing apples and oranges. It's which sound you prefer. I wouldn't trade either of my Blueridges, and sold a Larrivee to get them. For me it was a no brainer. An ol boy once told me, don't worry about the name on the headstock, go with sound and playability. And a truer statement I have yet to hear.

As for care, I think that has been pretty much addressed. But an all solid wood guitar will take some care, especially with the humidity issue. I live in Missouri, so during the winter I keep my guitars cased, with sound hole humidifiers, and also run a room humidifier. It's worth the effort.

Buy the one that sounds and plays the way you want. Nothing worse than buying a guitar because someone else said this or that about it and you find you don't like it. Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:49 PM

Apologies for being so strident earlier. To be honest, I read an ensuing post on a Taylor 300 series, and thought the comparison was between a BR laminate, and solid wood Taylor. My Bad on that, Eug...

Now-here's why (beyond that) I reacted. Our local other guitar store-we have only 2 here, carries BR's (and then mostly Deans, and lower end Seagulls-they simply shoot low for the market here). I played two BR lams-neither sounded very good-admittedly it may have been set up or strings. But despite looking really nice, they didn't "cut" very well-I bring up the warrantee because getting them repaired (beyond the store you bought it from-and if online, very tough) was an ordeal involving shipping (I believe) to California, and then beyond. I DO know Taylor has an excellent rep for standing behind its instruments. I have only had ONE warrantee issue with my 855 in 16 years involving bridge pins. I needed one--they shipped me 3 no hassle, no charge. I have read of some nightmares with BR's cracking (an accusation-not substantiated-of "green" or unseasoned/dried wood), and I guess other similar incidents that "put me off" recommending them, although I have read many stellar reviews.

There was the Greg Rich thing too-and since he went to Recording King (nee "Johnson"-particularly the "Carolina" series), I think he rather took all his Saga experience and rolled it into a new import line. The old "Johnsons" are (I believe) being sold as a house-brand ("Silver Creek") until they are gone, and are priced below BR laminates and are solid wood. I can't vouch for sound, as the 1 store that carries BR's does not carry Johnsons, or RK's.

So...bottom line if you are happy that's good. Again-I was reacting to a sloppy reading of the earlier post. FWIW, I'm not a fan of either the Taylor or Martin lams except for a backup, and then I think I WOULD get more bang for the buck with the Pac Rim imports.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 05-06-2008, 11:42 AM

Forget the hype and the bullcrap. All things being equal, you've got to buy the Taylor. No comparison between BlueRidge and Taylor. We all hear different things and feel things differently, but a BlueRidge is not a Taylor. Taylors are not fragile. Nor are Taylors my favorite guitar. However, I do know a good guitar when I see and hear one. Taylors are good guitars. Very consistent. Very dependable.....Likewise, some BlueRidge guitars are decent. I've owned a decent one. I've played some very medicore ones. Get what you can afford. If you can afford the Taylor, then by all means buy it.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriPicker View Post
Forget the hype and the bullcrap. All things being equal, you've got to buy the Taylor. No comparison between BlueRidge and Taylor. We all hear different things and feel things differently, but a BlueRidge is not a Taylor. Taylors are not fragile. Nor are Taylors my favorite guitar. However, I do know a good guitar when I see and hear one. Taylors are good guitars. Very consistent. Very dependable.....Likewise, some BlueRidge guitars are decent. I've owned a decent one. I've played some very medicore ones. Get what you can afford. If you can afford the Taylor, then by all means buy it.

I truly don't understand your post? All things aren't equal hence the decision.

Blueridge is NOT a Taylor as you said, and a Taylor isn't a Martin, and a Martin is a Costco Yamaha.

I guess like the last poster, any Taylor is better than any Blueridge.

Taylor certainly has an interesting fan base as of late!! Based on this guys post, you should buy the Mexican made laminate Taylor without question, because it is a Taylor and he knows a good guitar when he hears one!!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:22 PM

Get the Taylor! He is probably talking about the fact that Taylors talk lot about proper humidification and the pitfalls of over or under humidifying? They are anything but fragile IMHO.

Sammy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion