The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-08-2021, 01:06 PM

I had and enjoyed an L05MT for a number of years and always played mediums on it.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-08-2021, 02:12 PM

I have a SD-50 and a SD-03
Both sound fine with 12s
Old 05-09-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traikat View Post
Gordon, what strings do you prefer to use on all your many Larrivée?
In the 80s/90s I used D'Addario EJ16s. For awhile we bought bulk strings from a long-gone business in New Hampshire.

I was at NAMM one year and Gore was introducing a new string brand, Elixir. They were giving away sets to build up some quick buzz. I ended up liking them a lot, and over the year they improved them.

Now my choice is Elixir Nanoweb PB Lights. For me, once I play them in, they can stay in a sweet spot for easily three weeks. Even after that, they degrade slowly and predictably.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-10-2021, 02:01 AM

i own a SD50, have tried it with light strings, but in my opnion they didn't move the top enough. So back to mediums.
The D40 i have owned however, was perfectly alright with light strings.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
In the 80s/90s I used D'Addario EJ16s. For awhile we bought bulk strings from a long-gone business in New Hampshire.
I bought strings (in bulk) from Euphonon in Orford NH many times several years ago.. Hadn't thought of them in quite a while .... Curious - do you know for sure they are no longer in business?
Old 05-10-2021, 06:06 AM

Not an SD (would LOVE to get my hands on one someday!) but my OM-03 sounds great with EJ17 mediums. However, Daddario makes an EJ24 true medium set that are my favorite string set on my OM. The D G and B are slightly smaller, and whatever that does for overall tension makes a noticeable difference. I play predominately fingerstyle these days in alternate tunings, but even tuning up to standard works wonderfully with that set.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

My own experience is that "conventional wisdom" re heavier strings for larger tops is not always a given. I've got a Larrivee D-19 that produces fuller, more resonant tone with Lights vs Mediums. My friends agree. I read an article once (forget where) that discussed this point and said that the higher tension of mediums strings may drive most bigger tops better, BUT that for some tops/braces the extra tension of medium gauge restricts the top's movement too much. In these guitars lights may be a better choice. That makes sense to me envisioning the strings constant pull on the top up and forward. On new larger guitars I'll always try both and see which the guitar "likes" best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion