The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-09-2021, 12:25 PM

I too was impressed by how quickly and definitely the Anderson's guest artist picked out the Gibsons from the Epis. In the video the pair of J200s was quite apparently different to me just listening, and that's a model I might be most interested in of the three shown in the two videos discussed in this thread.

I want to like the videos by the JP guy that was at the start of the thread. I too want a range of affordable, but different sounding instruments myself, and he's obviously a good player who puts me to shame. But to my sense he pitches too hard in the OP's linked video. I have no reason to know that isn't just his honest opinion, but the pitch is so like a slick salesman with an informal just-between-us sheen to it, that I can't help but be skeptical.

May just be me in that. Like I say, I'd likely be happy with the sound of one of those guitars, but dreads are kind of secondary to me and I've got a couple that fill my needs that also have the wider necks I like.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-09-2021, 01:04 PM

I just returned from GC where I tried an Epi IBG Hummingbird, J-45 and a Gibson J-45 standard.

I went there interested in the Hummingbird and it is a well-crafted, comfortable and overall asthetically pleasing instrument. The only knock I might have, it was a tad heavy, but that I think is maybe on par for Hummingbirds. I just wish GC would change the strings when they turn black. I am sure the zombie strings sucked the life out of the guitar, but it sounded like it could have potential with a fresh set.

The J-45s both sounded great and with one at $699 and the other 4x that, the lesser model is a great value for someone looking for a J-45. But the tiny plastic button tuners are bit of a turn-off. I have the exact tuners on my Epi LP Classic and while they look more the part on an electric, they are a little cheesy.

So suffice to say, I did walk out without my wallet ever leaving my pocket. But I would definitely give the Hummingbird another chance.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

I haven't played any of them, but want too....I will say that the EPI J-45 has one ugly pick guard on it though.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

The imports are fine and getting better all the time. Play them next to the real thing, and you know the one you want. I've not had an experience in a store, side by side, where the import beat the Bozeman built guitar. If you live 300 miles from a good store and bought the import Epiphone, I think you'd be happy for a while.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-09-2021, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
The imports are fine and getting better all the time. Play them next to the real thing, and you know the one you want. I've not had an experience in a store, side by side, where the import beat the Bozeman built guitar. If you live 300 miles from a good store and bought the import Epiphone, I think you'd be happy for a while.
I played them side by side and I really wanted the Gibson to win hands down. Unfortunately, the Epi sounded better to me. No idea if it was just these two Hummingbirds, but it's just a great guitar. And this coming from a mostly Martin type of guy (I own four Martins).

Last edited by BoneDigger; 05-18-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

I've had a chance to play it more today and to check for finish issues. I really simply can't find anything to complain about. For a $750 guitar, it's really quite nice! I also own several Martin guitars and some Eastman guitars. I'm really quite surprised at how much I like this one 20210509_182554.jpg20210509_182640.jpg
Old 05-09-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I've had a chance to play it more today and to check for finish issues. I really simply can't find anything to complain about. For a $750 guitar, it's really quite nice! I also own several Martin guitars and some Eastman guitars. I'm really quite surprised at how much I like this one
Looks mighty fine to me.
You could treat the bridge and fretboard with a little Music Nomad F-One conditioner if you wanted to darken up their color ... or not.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-09-2021, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Looks mighty fine to me.
You could treat the bridge and fretboard with a little Music Nomad F-One conditioner if you wanted to darken up their color ... or not.

I probably will when I change the strings. I have some F1 on my shelf.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:02 PM

These models have piqued my interest.

Thanks to Harrison and Townshend a SJ-200 style guitar is about #6 on my "wish list", but since everything else on my list is less than $2K (used) it would certainly be hard to see me ever spending $3K+ on a niche guitar for my purposes.

Even the Eastman version of the J-200 is still very expensive IMO.

The new Epiphone model is probably close enough to the real thing for my Mancave versions of "Behind Blue Eyes" and "Here Comes the Sun".

FWIW, I did spend a few minutes with the Materbilt Texan model back in the fall. I thought it was a fine instrument and plan to acquire one someday. I thought the finish was very nice on the Texan. I wonder if the new style of finish on the IBG models is the same?

(From 2007-2020 I did own a AJ-500RENS that was a great guitar. I only sold it to fund a future purchase, but the slope shoulder hook is definitely in me now.)
Old 05-10-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
So the guy doing the blindfold test picked all three of them right, with almost no hesitation. Suggests they’re plenty good guitars, but not to be confused with Gibsons. Makes me question the opinions in the OP video...
No. It suggests that he can tell by feel which is which. And if you watch the video, he confirms that around the 4min mark. He's asked why he can tell them apart so quickly and he struggles to say. And then the host asks if it is just that he can tell them apart based on the finish of the guitars, to which he admits yes, he knows exactly which is which as soon as he touches them. The whole thing is a an entertaining farce in my opinion. If he had been asked to tell them apart based on just hearing them, I bet he would've struggled like the guys at Music Villa in their blindfold comparisons.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I love my OT-22w as well. It’s a great sounding guitar with a lot of Gibson vibe. It just lacks that dry Gibson bite that I love so much.
Agreed. All the mid warmth, and woodiness, but that dry bite is missing a bit, especially depending on the humidity level, it seems.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 05-11-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
I think these are a good alternative for people who can’t afford a Gibson or just don’t want to spend that kind of money on a guitar. It’ll get you pretty close.
Exactly. Gibsons are way expensive!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-11-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Well, it just so happens that I had a chance to play a Gibson Hummingbird today, side by side with the new Epiphone Hummingbird.... the Epiphone had a tone that I absolutely loved.... I now own it.
Major congrats, BoneDigger! It's like, what a fantastic deal for a great guitar!

2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-11-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
...I’ve played two of the epis - 200 and hummingbird.... Lack major bottom end.
That's usually the giveaway for an inexpensive guitar, but that's what struck me in the OP video and the comparison video -- the bottom end was there! No, the overall tone wasn't as rich as a Gibson, but when you don't have a Gibson to compare it to, the Epiphones sound mighty good!

2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-11-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Exactly. Gibsons are way expensive!
They are indeed, but that name, tradition, genuineness, perceived mystique and the “Made in the U.S.A” is representative of a higher value to some folks, myself included.
It’s a different mindset.

The Epiphone’s in this post are nice guitars ...I feel no need to disparage them and the comparisons are fun.
To folks like me, it’s apples and oranges for the reasons stated ...no matter how similar they may be.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion